Griggs Vs. Agent 47: Corner carvers voice your opinions.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Can someone school me please? I have been thinking of going with Griggs ST kit or 47's double A-arm kit. What is the difference between the kits? Which is better? Which reduces the most weight? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I've actually heard the A47 SLA front setup is much better than the GR, its also much cheaper and much less complicated too.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Depends. What are you doing with the car and what are your goals?

I want my Mustang to have Porche like handling. Im not going to compete at the current time. I might in the future.

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. One of these is stock, one of these is not. Guess which one handles better?

Attachments

• 07302009021.zip
    446.6 KB · Views: 102

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
2009 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT Championship Presented by Toyo Tires Final Drivers' Championship Points.

Ps., Driver, Car, Pts. (Wins)

1, Brandon Davis, Ford Mustang GT, 1012 (1)
2, James Sofronas, Porsche 911 GT3, 931 (2)
3, Tony Rivera, Porsche 911 GT3, 910 (2)
4, Andy Pilgrim, Volvo S60, 851 (2)
5, Eric Curran, Chevrolet Corvette, 811
6, Randy Pobst, Volvo S60, 776 (1)
7, Sonny Whelen, Chevrolet Corvette, 562
8, Tony Gaples, Chevrolet Corvette, 568
9, Dino Crescentini, Porsche 911 GT3, 558 (1)
10, William Ziegler(R), Porsche 911 GT3, 552

Begin copying Brandon Davis' setup. J/K

DavisB.jpg

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
forget both and go granatelli :chainsaw:

j/k. that car is pretty sexy though. as for the porsche and mustang picture, whats the story behind that?

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
forget both and go granatelli :chainsaw:

j/k. that car is pretty sexy though. as for the porsche and mustang picture, whats the story behind that?
Thats what's in my garage. 1987 911/w G-50 trans, and 2009 Bullitt.

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
No man the Porsche! It only has a set of Bilsteins on it, and thats it. The Bullitt is pretty heavily modified, suspension and motor. NOTHING handles like an '84-'96 air cooled 9-1-1.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
2009 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT Championship Presented by Toyo Tires Final Drivers' Championship Points.

Ps., Driver, Car, Pts. (Wins)

1, Brandon Davis, Ford Mustang GT, 1012 (1)
2, James Sofronas, Porsche 911 GT3, 931 (2)
3, Tony Rivera, Porsche 911 GT3, 910 (2)
4, Andy Pilgrim, Volvo S60, 851 (2)
5, Eric Curran, Chevrolet Corvette, 811
6, Randy Pobst, Volvo S60, 776 (1)
7, Sonny Whelen, Chevrolet Corvette, 562
8, Tony Gaples, Chevrolet Corvette, 568
9, Dino Crescentini, Porsche 911 GT3, 558 (1)
10, William Ziegler(R), Porsche 911 GT3, 552

Begin copying Brandon Davis' setup. J/K

DavisB.jpg

This car was the reason I bought the GT. I wanted my car to be like that >.<
Little Did i realize it had a custom IRS custom SLA and a transaxle. Guess my car wont turn out like his.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I've actually heard the A47 SLA front setup is much better than the GR, its also much cheaper and much less complicated too.

Where did you hear this? What makes it much better?

I compared these and found them to be very similar with Griggs being a little more involved because of the spindle issues.

I'm curious as to where you heard that.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I have no actual experience with niether, so i'm just going by what i heard... but i believe it was a racer who was running griggs but got sponsered by agent 47 so therefore switched to the A47 SLA setup which also reduced his lap times.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
That was Ernesto Roco, who was running in AIX with NASA. He did indeed change from the Griggs SLA to the A47 SLA and drop a couple of seconds of his previous best at Buttonwillow, HOWEVER, that was also debuting a new driveline, featuring a pushrod V8 with a large hairdryer attached, good for an extra 300+HP, so... Not an apples-to-apples comparison. AFAIK, they are both excellent systems, and far superior to any strut design suspension. That said, they are both also quite pricey. If you're not going into actual competition with them, I think that they're a waste, since you can get EXCELLENT handling with a properly done strut front end. This type of kit is for the guy looking for the last 10th or two.

Rodeoflyer

forum member
Reaction score
That was Ernesto Roco, who was running in AIX with NASA. He did indeed change from the Griggs SLA to the A47 SLA and drop a couple of seconds of his previous best at Buttonwillow, HOWEVER, that was also debuting a new driveline, featuring a pushrod V8 with a large hairdryer attached, good for an extra 300+HP, so... Not an apples-to-apples comparison. AFAIK, they are both excellent systems, and far superior to any strut design suspension. That said, they are both also quite pricey. If you're not going into actual competition with them, I think that they're a waste, since you can get EXCELLENT handling with a properly done strut front end. This type of kit is for the guy looking for the last 10th or two.

Wrong. I know Ernesto personally.

Ernesto picked up the time with the same motor and a couple of aero adjustments. The turbo was added long after that.

2-2.5 seconds is more than a tenth or two. That's going from a KW Variant 3 setup to the Agent 47 SLA. While I agree a properly done strut front end is plenty fast (the current AI champion is on struts - ask me how I know), a SLA has certain advangtages.

1. less negative camber required - better braking
2. better front tire wear
3. easier to drive at the limit (for myself anyway)

The Agent 47 kit is considerably cheaper than Griggs. It uses several modified factory components, and can be used with the stock k-member. This saves time and money in installation, as well as maintanence.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsrhcUtyeg

.3 Seconds after 4 or 5 laps. May not seem like much but it is impressive.

If you're spending $3k + and a day labor you might as well spend a couple extra $ and money and do the k-member while you're at it.

Once installed, the k-member should not require additional maintenance.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Wrong. I know Ernesto personally.

Ernesto picked up the time with the same motor and a couple of aero adjustments. The turbo was added long after that.

I will give you that one, I had blended a few vids in my mind, but I was also going by Griswold's build that kicked into high gear in April, in response to Roco's build... I know Griswold personally. :roflmao:

2-2.5 seconds is more than a tenth or two. That's going from a KW Variant 3 setup to the Agent 47 SLA. While I agree a properly done strut front end is plenty fast (the current AI champion is on struts - ask me how I know), a SLA has certain advangtages.

1. less negative camber required - better braking
2. better front tire wear
3. easier to drive at the limit (for myself anyway)

You're making my point for me... If the "average Joe" is looking to up the quality of handling in his primarily street-driven Mustang, he does NOT need to go to an SLA to make it happen. There are plenty of solutions that retain the stock strut design. I also agree that the SLA essentially has it all over a strut setup, excepting cost. It does have better camber gain, thus less static negative camber, and it also tends to be a lot more neutral through it's range of motion. I still maintain that unless you're running a TT or a W2W competition format, the same "average Joe" can get all the performance he needs from a strut setup done right. I'm just thinking about the non-competing masses that might think that to get their car to handle the twisty roads in the back canyon, they need to drop $12K+ on suspension hardware.

The Agent 47 kit is considerably cheaper than Griggs. It uses several modified factory components, and can be used with the stock k-member. This saves time and money in installation, as well as maintanence.

No argument at all. Is one better than the other? Who knows. According to Roco, the A47 certainly is.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
I went with Griggs...and had them build my car at the shop completey.

I want to see fast s197s...and they showed me.

I DON'T care about $150,000+ AIX race cars WHEN it relates to upgrades on my car..i care about what my street driven s197 can become. ( i love to watch them tho)

I agree STRONGLY agree that money better spend first on driving school,slicks,tuning,brakes etc etc
The 47 kits nice..but its also incomplete..not a full chasis like Griggs sells.

You get what you pay for i guess...and if $$$ is a big issue...if you want to part together the car and your a DIY then maybe the 47 kit is better.

I didn't want any excuses when i built my car..i have none :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back