GT500 Lower Control Arms

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by MrAwesome987, Jul 24, 2021.

1. MrAwesome987

MrAwesome987 forum member

The front control arms on my 09 have been making terrible popping and clunking noises, and it's gotten worse over the past few months. I finally decided to replace them with the GT500 style control arms. Part number M3057E

On the Ford site, they look like this: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-3075-E

I ordered the same part number from Amazon, but what I received looks a bit different. This is a photo of the ones I received: 20210724_120010.jpg

Notice that the 2nd mount is welded on instead of one piece.

Here's my question, was this a redesign of the previous model? The box is marked as being produced last month.

2. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Probably a stock photo of an older version.

MrAwesome987 likes this.
  3. FrankieD

FrankieD Member

Looks kike the Ford Racing ones I put on mine with the blue ball joint boot.

4. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

Those are in fact the GT-500 design. The ones you saw on the Ford site are GT version. Slightly different layout. They'll both fit just fine. Truth be known I'm not sure there's that much of a difference.

5. MrAwesome987

I got them installed yesterday. Fitment was fine. They are definitely a bit more beefy, but like you said, I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference.

Didn't seem to fix my pops when corning hard though... The hunt continues!

6. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

If you're getting pops (I assume from the front) on hard cornering I'd look at the lower bolts and strut/strut mounts/bolts. I upgraded to B6 Bilstein's and GT 500 mounts. The other area that was also an issue me was the swaybar links. I kept wearing them out until I installed a heavy duty BMR steel unit. No more noise. Might want to have an alignment shop look for anything loose/worn out (tie-rod ends, etc..).

Also to stiffen things up I installed a Whiteline front control arm brace. Guarantee Nothin's moving around down there anymore.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/whiteline-fca-brace 0510.html?utm_content=Handling%20-%20Control%20Arms%7cWhiteline&T5_Var4=54102&utm_source=bing-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium+RLSA&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&msclkid=f89e9add0a2519ea728ffa20c96e695f&utm_term=4577129470797266&gclid=f89e9add0a2519ea728ffa20c96e695f&gclsrc=3p.ds

7. Midlife Crises

Midlife Crises Senior Member

When I had a clunk it was wore out Steeda adjustable strut mounts. Replaced with stock mounts and the clunk went away.

8. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

I had a little clunk develop with the Steeda adjustable mounts, except it wasn't the mounts at fault . . . the strut's own center nut had loosened up a little. Retorqued and been fine ever since.

Norm

9. MrAwesome987

I have the GT500 strut mounts with less than 5k miles on them. I'm thinking it may be the sway bar end links, although they are Moog with less than 25k miles on them. I've replaced everything else suspension related.

It will pop multiple times when making a sharp turn quickly. It also occurs when braking harder than normal. I can also get it to pop if I am on a straight road and turn the wheel quickly from left to right.

10. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

Moog are good units but worth checking. Suggest checking the sway bar nuts where they bolt to the frame up front. I've had mine loosen up. Easy enough to tighten, other than getting the car up in the air. Also couldn't hurt to pull the struts and check the center nuts on the strut mouts while you have the car up as Norm points out. Otherwise, time to look at all steering mounts and components. Something may have loosened up or is worn.

11. Darren Kirby

Darren Kirby Junior Member

I ordered mine through rockauto and fitted them a couple of weeks ago. I would definatlely recomend getting the alinement done. Here in the UK we have the hawk system (not sure if same in the states) but it made a big difference. Cant really mees with the back wheels but the front were done.

12. MrAwesome987

I'll check this stuff...

In the last 10k miles or less I've replaced all of the steering components, minus the rack itself. Also replaced both struts and mounts and now lower control arms. The oldest parts are the sway bar endlinks and bushings at this point (which are around 25k miles old).

13. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

I recently had rod-ends go bad on me and didn't even know it. Took an alignment shop to find it. Might be worth taking it in and describe the problem to them. If they can identify the issue at least you'll know what/where the problem is.

14. Tony Conti

Tony Conti Member

Those look exactly like the ones I bought off of AM a little over a year ago.

15. Darren Kirby

Darren Kirby Junior Member

Here is the passenger side ready for fitting

IMG_3304.jpg

16. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

Hmmm...Can you tell if the center section metal is the same thickness as the stock arm? Appears they welded in an extra plate and wondering the reason. If they're the same thickness in the center section then IMO actually a good idea as it should prevent any flexing. If thinner I'd be concerned.

17. MrAwesome987

The ones I got definitely weighed a good bit more than the OE ones.

18. Wingrider

Wingrider GT500 track guy

I have a set I pulled off my 2011 GT500 track car at about 2k miles if anyone is interested.

19. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

That is a design change for strength and/or ease of fabrication. Very interesting. I see 3 versions here. I dont think my Ford racing/gt500 arms have 2-3 x the material and welding as these versions I see here.

20. MrAwesome987

Seems that I found my popping noise. With the install of the new GT500 lower control arms, everything suspension related was new. Yet the pop was still there. On Saturday, I checked over all the bolts to make sure everything was tight, and finally got to the front strut nuts (the large nut on the strut itself). These were tight, but I went ahead and put the impact on them and hammered on it for a bit and it did indeed turn a bit, probably at most 1/4-1/2 turn. Test drove it yesterday and it seems to not pop anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.