Head removal Question

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
Do I have to take the front cover off to remove the cylinder heads? Or can I simply unbolt the oil control housing and leave the cover on? There are no cams on the heads and the engine is on a lift at the moment. I'm done working tonight but just want to know before I take it all apart tomorrow.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yes, it does. Also when it goes back together dont forget the sealant at the head and block . Same for the valve covers. Good luck.

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
Ok lol...so you are saying YES I must remove the front cover? If that is the case, does the Balancer have to be removed to remove the front cover, and if so does the auto store have what I need to pull it? All I need is the passenger head off asap lol.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Ok lol...so you are saying YES I must remove the front cover? If that is the case, does the Balancer have to be removed to remove the front cover, and if so does the auto store have what I need to pull it? All I need is the passenger head off asap lol.

Are you the only one working on this? Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe get someone with a little more experience to help out.

Yes, the timing cover has to come off. Yes, the damper has to come off first. And yes, the parts store has the puller you'll need.

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
yah i'm the only one working on this. Ive been working on mustangs for years....I've just never had to remove heads from a modular motor. I just needed to know what to plan for this evening. Thanks

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
10-4 folks. Thanks for the help. I know how to do the work lol, sometimes I don't know what needs to be done though...so I need to know what needs to be done so I can do it...and now I know so thank you!!!

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
You think this is funny??? You should have seen me trying to pull the head off with all my might...and it wouldn't budge....helps to not leave a bolt in the head... :) And if I were you I wouldnt be laughing....you are building the replacement motor, you just dont know it yet haha

Last edited:

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have to remove everything off the front of the motor. Take detailed notes for reassembly!!! Did I say take notes? lol

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
dude the service manual is a must have. its liek a multi volume set. id be lost without it....and s197forum. but yea, the heads definitely dont "stick" to the block. if they do, you missed a bolt lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back