Header bolt help

SOzzy

Reaction score
I've been looking all over online for header bolts so I can install my new BBK long tubes and keep coming up empty. Finding lots for 2v motors, but everything says they won't work on the 3v. Are they different bolts? From what I understand, at least a couple of the stock studs need to be replaced with bolts due to interference with the tubes. Anyone have a link? Even the BBK website doesn't list anything.

bambam 06

Reaction score
I've been looking all over online for header bolts so I can install my new BBK long tubes and keep coming up empty. Finding lots for 2v motors, but everything says they won't work on the 3v. Are they different bolts? From what I understand, at least a couple of the stock studs need to be replaced with bolts due to interference with the tubes. Anyone have a link? Even the BBK website doesn't list anything.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-exhaust-manifold-hardware-kit-03430.html

FredB66

Reaction score
I just did my BBK LTs last month and found that it was easier to use as many studs as possible and only use bolts where the studs interfere. It's personal preference whether you go with bolts or studs. My BBKs came with a full set of bolts but I only used a few of them. You can get nice set of stainless studs from Autozone or Amazon, Dorman PN 03411HP. I think it's a 10 pack so you may need 2.

FredB66

Reaction score
I advise against using stainless steel fasteners on aluminum. The two metals are far apart on the galvanic scale and the aluminum will corrode. Steel fasteners are much better.
Galvanic corrosion requires the presence of an electrolyte for an extended period of time. Unless you're in a marine environment, the likelihood of water intruding into a blind threaded hole in a high temp environment is pretty remote.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
pretty remote.
There is ample moisture in the atmosphere to complete the circuit and promote corrosion of aluminum when in contact with a dissimilar metal. White powder around threaded holes is not uncommon. Happens on aircraft all the time and you can find in on most any car that’s just a few years old.

whitmanink

Reaction score
just the oils on our hands can start the corrosion process, ARP even says to use gloves when handling the Fastners because of the oils on our hands causing rust and failure down the road,, so never say never,,just the act of you grabbing and starting to hand thread it can make this happen

FredB66

Reaction score
Those stud I just installed will be fine for several decades unlike the steel studs/nuts that I extracted that were reduced to rusty nubs in just 15 years. Yes, galvanic corrosion is a concern under certain conditions, but IMHO this isn't one of them. White powder isn't necessarily a result of galvanic corrosion, aluminum oxidizes white, naturally, and without regard to the neighboring metal, but alas we will have to agree to disagree.

There is ample moisture in the atmosphere to complete the circuit and promote corrosion of aluminum when in contact with a dissimilar metal. White powder around threaded holes is not uncommon. Happens on aircraft all the time and you can find in on most any car that’s just a few years old.[/QUOT

totaljustice

Reaction score
I second not using the BBK gaskets. I did and had to get new Ford gaskets as the BBK ones leaked. Also Napa sells studs that I've been happy with.

SOzzy

Reaction score
Ok, now I have the right bolts and gaskets. Now I'm looking for a mid pipe. Looking for an off road x or H pipe that will work with my long tubes. All the off road pipes I'm finding are for mid length or stock replacement. Finding plenty catted x pipes, but I'm planning on deleting the cats entirely. Thoughts?

totaljustice

Reaction score
I bought the Ford Racing X-pipe in 2017 and have been very happy with it. And I didn't have to remove the cats for it to fit. But if I remember you might have to put in pipe to bridge the gap if you wanted to take the cats off.

SOzzy

Reaction score
I bought the Ford Racing X-pipe in 2017 and have been very happy with it. And I didn't have to remove the cats for it to fit. But if I remember you might have to put in pipe to bridge the gap if you wanted to take the cats off.
Are you using it with long tubes?

totaljustice

Reaction score
No I have the BBK short tube headers. If you're putting long tubes on and getting rid of the cats, the X-pipe might reach without any kind of extension but I don't think you would know for sure until you put it all together. Unless someone else here with the same setup you want to do chimes in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back