Heavy vibration on hard right turn - Ideas why?

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I am getting a huge vibration, almost more of rotational grinding, when turning hard right. It does it whether under acceleration or not. Now, before everyone says bearings, The front and rear bearings have been replaced with no change. The vibration is only there under hard right turn and no other time. Does not do it for hard left turns. It almost feels like it's coming from the center of the car.

Any ideas?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The problem is on the front left of the car since that's the side that's under load during a right turn.
I would have said wheel bearings but since you've already replaced them, it could be the ball joint instead. Do you hear a clunk when going over speed bumps or on an uneven road? If so, raise the wheel off the ground and see if there's a clunk when you wiggle the wheel between the 12 & 6 o' clock positions.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have headers, and if so what is the clearance between the left header and steering shaft. I used to get vibrations when turning right. I had stock motor mounts at the time. I loosened the motor mount nuts and shifted motor to the right 1/8" or so. Vibration went away for me.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
The problem is on the front left of the car since that's the side that's under load during a right turn.
I would have said wheel bearings but since you've already replaced them, it could be the ball joint instead. Do you hear a clunk when going over speed bumps or on an uneven road? If so, raise the wheel off the ground and see if there's a clunk when you wiggle the wheel between the 12 & 6 o' clock positions.

Ball joints are new too, or new enough and not causing any other sounds. Checked them already as I had the exact same thoughts. I have done the wheel wiggle test a hundred times thinking I missed something the first 99 times!

Do you have headers, and if so what is the clearance between the left header and steering shaft. I used to get vibrations when turning right. I had stock motor mounts at the time. I loosened the motor mount nuts and shifted motor to the right 1/8" or so. Vibration went away for me.

I'm going to check this again. Had that same problem previously and this is a different feel. Looked the other day and they looked to be clearing. I might put some grease or something on the steering shaft to see if it transfers to the headers. Looking at it though that doesn't look like that's the issue. It's possible though that the mounts are flexing enough to shift but while sitting there looks like there is clearance. I don't feel it in the steering wheel like that's it.

I'm almost thinking carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Yes, I have the stock drive shaft. Seems like that would cause vibration issues at certain speeds or when turning wither direction though. Is that a possibility?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'd carefully check the passenger side motor mount in particular for deterioration or looseness. If it's permitting extra movement, the engine would be trying to roll over toward the driver side in a right turn (and away from the driver side in a left).

Norm

hoyabob2003

Reaction score
Rotational grinding? Have you gone back to the basics and checked the rotors/pads and condition of the wheel studs/lugs for looseness? You're probably better than me, but I've had a fail in the basics category on more than one occasion- and that makes me very humble when it comes to this stuff...

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car howled when making a right turn and it turned out to be the driveshaft carrier bearing. Aluminum driveshaft solved that as well as a 90+ MPH vibration.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Rotational grinding? Have you gone back to the basics and checked the rotors/pads and condition of the wheel studs/lugs for looseness? You're probably better than me, but I've had a fail in the basics category on more than one occasion- and that makes me very humble when it comes to this stuff...

I've been through them once and didn't find anything.

I did check the engine mounts and motor position again and the engine is over as far as it will go. There is quite a bit of flex in the mounts even when bolted down tight.

I haven't had much time lately to look at it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back