HELP! New Harmonic balancer- No Start!!!

Jacobfolsom

Reaction score
2008 Mustang, 4.0L V6

Recently just installed a new harmonic balancer after realizing the previous one was wobbling terribly. After battling with a broken woodruff key for an hour, I finally managed to get the new harmonic balancer on without too much of a hassle. I tightened everything to spec and reassembled the car.

I went to start the car and it just cranks with no start. My first thought was the crankshaft position sensor. Replaced that and no change. Finally I decided to do a compression test. My readings were low- around 50-55PSI on each cylinder with all the plugs out. Only thing I can think of is it somehow jumped timing.

Any ideas? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Wobbling damper, broken key! There is something else going on in there. I would pull the valve covers and front cover and have a good look at the. Timing components.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
What leads you to believe it jumped timing? Did you check w/ light? Any other mods/issues to consider? Codes? Throw the dog a bone here...

Also, nice 1st post...>.<

Jacobfolsom

Reaction score
I believe it jumped timing due to the low compression readings. I’ve pulled dampner off to check the key and it’s okay. My father in law was helping me out with getting the broken key out from the original balancer and he turned the motor in reverse and forward multiple times.

Today I decided to pull the valve covers off to check timing and indeed- it’s out of timing. My only fear now is that we may of kissed a piston with a valve once it’s jumped. It’s only off two, maybe three links but that should be enough to make contact. Thinking I should do a leak down before proceeding.

This may be my first post here, but this car has been nothing but trouble since my wife bought it. Unfortunately she still owes a good chunk of change on it and can’t do anything with it, except continue to fix. I’ll keep y’all posted! Thank you for all the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitmanink

Reaction score
its odd the timing jumped and it didnt start?
when the timing jumps a tooth or 3, the engine can start , it will eat itself , but you can get it to at least turn over and break itself,
i think you got lucky and didnt have sumthing electrical connected to make it start, i could be wrong but i think thats close,, btw you should NEVER turn and engine the opposite direction because of the timing,, so you can thank your father inlaw if it did indeed jump.. mo mo status,,, good news is if it did bend a valve or three , its savable , just a few weekends work, i just pulled my motor sunday as im doing the head gaskets and timing and clutch,and re seating the valves , than slaping a turbo on it,, so if you need any help i can help you if you get stuck,,

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I also think it's odd that it didn't start, but I'm pretty sure the Cologne 4.0L is a non-interference engine.

**Edit**
Looks like it is definitely an interference engine. I guess I just got lucky when mine was out of time.

its odd the timing jumped and it didnt start?
when the timing jumps a tooth or 3, the engine can start , it will eat itself , but you can get it to at least turn over and break itself,
i think you got lucky and didnt have sumthing electrical connected to make it start, i could be wrong but i think thats close,, btw you should NEVER turn and engine the opposite direction because of the timing,, so you can thank your father inlaw if it did indeed jump.. mo mo status,,, good news is if it did bend a valve or three , its savable , just a few weekends work, i just pulled my motor sunday as im doing the head gaskets and timing and clutch,and re seating the valves , than slaping a turbo on it,, so if you need any help i can help you if you get stuck,,

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back