HID Lighting

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Mr. Hid kits (thanks Ed). When I turn on the headlights, they flicker on (split second) and then take a few seconds to light up completely. Kind of like turning a dim dial. Is this just the gas lighting up?

I'm drawing power from the back of the fuse box vs directly from the battery, but not sure if that matters.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Mr. Hid kits (thanks Ed). When I turn on the headlights, they flicker on (split second) and then take a few seconds to light up completely. Kind of like turning a dim dial. Is this just the gas lighting up?

I'm drawing power from the back of the fuse box vs directly from the battery, but not sure if that matters.
Hey Alex,

That's normal.

Redwolf

Reaction score
I have the factory HID lights, and when I turn mine on, they light up then the intensity/brightness drops slightly. This happens every time I turn them on. They don't "flicker", just change intensity automatically within a second or 2.

bigastrk

Reaction score
lol I don't have them on the car but on the wifes navi w/ HID's it starts dim and then goes brighter.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Redwolf...Yours are backwards. LOL...

On a related subject. Just saw a new 08 for sale on the base with the optional HIDs. Sticker said it was $520 option. Ford sells them on the side for $1000+. WTF?

CataclysmGT

forum member
Reaction score
When you buy them from Ford, Steeda, or Saleen you are getting a whole new light assembly, hence the cost. Valeo Sylvania makes them for all the companies.

Redwolf

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Redwolf...Yours are backwards. LOL...

On a related subject. Just saw a new 08 for sale on the base with the optional HIDs. Sticker said it was $520 option. Ford sells them on the side for $1000+. WTF?

Thats the price I paid for them on the sticker, $520. I have never had the problems discussed with the aftermarket brands. I suggest finding the best deal on Ford's HID (Ford or Saleen).

The way my headlights turn on are consistent every time. I did not want them when I first bought the car, but after having used them, I wouldn't go back to standard halogen.

edyuly

Reaction score
I am looking for hids, did you get them from someone on this site ?

thanks

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had gotten them through a board member MSGT46270, but he's no longer a vendor. The website is http://www.hidguy.net/ and if you use his screen name he gets a kickback or something like that. It's a great kit, completely plug and play. Very happy with it.

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
what kit did you get scramblr? mine were the 10000k kit and they wouldnt work. kept kicking the fuses. waiting to get them back to see if they work now.

01mingreyvert

forum member
Reaction score
New mustangs dont have low beam headlight fuses. What were you blowing?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what kit did you get scramblr? mine were the 10000k kit and they wouldnt work. kept kicking the fuses. waiting to get them back to see if they work now.

I got the 8k kit and works great. I'm drawing power from the back of the fuse box as I didn't feel like extending the wires (lazy).

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Normal operation.

The ballast builds up a charge and causes an arc to pop through the gas in the bulb and it causes a glow discharge to begin. As the glow discharge continues, the bulb warms up and starts producing more light.

These lights are really no different than what you see in the white or bluish looking mercury vapor lamps used as street lights. They start up dim (flicker) then get brighter the longer they are on.

Now if you have bi-xenon lights and they keep jumping from hi to low beam, then that is another issue and can be fixed with a capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back