High CHTs

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I installed the Paxton
Your running a supercharger with intercooler. I missed that in your post. Let’s see, intercooler, air conditioning condenser and thicker radiator all using the same air. I think you are not getting rid of enough used, hot air. I agree with Dino that hood vents or a heat extractor type hood may solve your problem. I run a 170* T stat. You could try that as well.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All these what ifs? Do you know how many people are running stock radiator, fans, and thermostat and make over 700 hp? A lot. Instead of replacing parts id have asked what the fans are commanded to turn on at? Verify that both fans are turning on. I still would ask what temp the fans are commanded to come on at.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On my sct-X3 hand held tuner, I can adjust both the low and high speed fan thresholds. The handheld tuner was bought from VMP tuning in Florida..with the software already loaded. Oem 190 deg F T- stat.
I think the low speed fan was set at 207 F..and the high speed fan was set at 217 F. This is on my 2010 4.6L auto..with small M90 blower. Sitting at idle in the driveway, the temp on my aeroforce gauges came up to 207F... then low speed fan kicks in...and temps dropped to aprx 197 F..and low sped fan shuts off. Then temp rises again to 207F, and the cycle just keeps repeating. Driving down the road, there is enough air coming through both the Roush 7 bar upper grille....and also lower grille, the low speed fan doesn't even kick in. These are coolant temps, not CHT's.

Tman228

Reaction score
Your running a supercharger with intercooler. I missed that in your post. Let’s see, intercooler, air conditioning condenser and thicker radiator all using the same air. I think you are not getting rid of enough used, hot air. I agree with Dino that hood vents or a heat extractor type hood may solve your problem. I run a 170* T stat. You could try that as well.

I agree with you. In fact, department of Boost had recommended adding a funnel around the radiator to force air directly through it w/ Track Spec heat extractors.

Tman228

Reaction score
All these what ifs? Do you know how many people are running stock radiator, fans, and thermostat and make over 700 hp? A lot. Instead of replacing parts id have asked what the fans are commanded to turn on at? Verify that both fans are turning on. I still would ask what temp the fans are commanded to come on at.

I am running ~700hp with the Novi 2200sl. I know I say what if. I just don’t want to make the same mistake. I understand your point of view. I thought the same thing. I was questioning myself as to why I was the only one, with what I thought was a problem. I have considered reinstalling all the stock components again. I just remember seeing the CHT very high, becoming paranoid and taking it to a shop to get it checked out & the shop said I needed a bigger radiator to fix the issue.

Last edited:

Tman228

Reaction score
On my sct-X3 hand held tuner, I can adjust both the low and high speed fan thresholds. The handheld tuner was bought from VMP tuning in Florida..with the software already loaded. Oem 190 deg F T- stat.
I think the low speed fan was set at 207 F..and the high speed fan was set at 217 F. This is on my 2010 4.6L auto..with small M90 blower. Sitting at idle in the driveway, the temp on my aeroforce gauges came up to 207F... then low speed fan kicks in...and temps dropped to aprx 197 F..and low sped fan shuts off. Then temp rises again to 207F, and the cycle just keeps repeating. Driving down the road, there is enough air coming through both the Roush 7 bar upper grille....and also lower grille, the low speed fan doesn't even kick in. These are coolant temps, not CHT's.

I appreciate your response. I have had my tuner look into my tune again to check for issues. I have told him I am running a 170° thermostat from reische. He tuned the fans according to reische website for this thermostat. As far as my tune goes, he mentioned it is running very lean on the upper end of rpm so he is looking into that & im going to have the fuel system checked out. Although it is running lean on the top end, I don’t understand why I would still be getting 230°F CHT no matter the speed or RPM.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does your coolant temperature vary? The engine coolant temperature is inferred from the CHT sensor reading so if that doesn't change, the ECT shouldn't change either. If the ECT doesn't change, replace the sender. If the coolant temperature does change, the sensor is working and whatever you are using to read it is faulty.

Tman228

Reaction score
Does your coolant temperature vary? The engine coolant temperature is inferred from the CHT sensor reading so if that doesn't change, the ECT shouldn't change either. If the ECT doesn't change, replace the sender. If the coolant temperature does change, the sensor is working and whatever you are using to read it is faulty.

I have already had the CHT sensor replaced. While data logging, I did a WOT pull in 3rd gear. I went from 2k rpm until 6700 RPM. After reaching operating temperatures I went into 3rd gear at 2k RPM. ECT was at 203° & CHT at 218°F. At 6700 RPM ECT was 210° & CHT at 220°. After shifting and letting RPMs come back down to 2k. ECT at 205° & CHT at 220°.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back