High pitch noise from rear under accel

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Figured i would post to get an idea what you guys think before i just bring the car to a local performance shop.

I have a strange high pitch noise which seems to be coming from the rear. It doesnt seem like traditional gear whine, it is silent under decel, but when i am on the gas you hear it. Especially bad at cursing rpms.

I def dont remember it being there when i got the 4.30s and true trac put in. It seems to be getting worse.

Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Bryan@suttonhp

Reaction score
Your description really sounds like a gear type noise, also could be the true trac itself. Did you change any bearings?

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed what RPM you are at when you hear the noise?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if its on accel it will be the face of the gear set. which means new ring and pinion.

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Its really all RPMS. Gets louder as the rpms go up.

Bearings were replaced, at least i assume they were guy i paid to install the stuff said he would provide the install kit.

So it could really mean i need a new set of gears. These probably have under 10k miles.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to say gears -- or the install of said gears -- as well. From your description, that's what it sounds like. Pinion depth might be off?

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
It def wasent this loud when i first got it installed. Seems like its getting worse.

I didn't hear any noise when i first got it installed, however i also had a straight through muffler, and switched to a chambered recently so maybe thats why its so much more noticeable.

Does it sound like something i should get checked out right away? I dont want a bearing to come apart and screw up my new diff.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I woudl take it back to the shop that installed them and have them listen to it and see if they think it's the gears.

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
^ yeah i was thinking that. Jeff who set it up for me is real cool, he has done work for me a few times in the past. Brian actually recommended him to me. Its just he is over an hour from me so its a hike to get out there.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Call him up and explain your issue. If he is a cool cat, I am sure he willw ork with you. Good luck with it.

Back