Hood clearance issues

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I could say it was something like a supercharger --some day -- but I've been having clearance problems with my stock GT motor and my Shelby CS6 hood.

I'll get pics up of this. I've had problems with this hood since day 1, but I've been getting them one at a time. The rear of the hood always sat too low (didn't line up with the fenders), so I shimmed it at the hinges with stainles washers (about 1/4" each side). Even after that I still had clearance issues. The first three all happened at the same time from the outset (actually I think they all did but here is the order I noticed them)

First it was contacting the strut & mount (both the top of the strut and the mount bolts), which I fixed with a strategically used hole saw.

Second was the center of the hood rubbing on the intake plenum (leaving marks on the plenum and the hood). Fixed by lowering the engine 1/2" with steeda engine mounts

Third was, and still is, right over where the throttle body/intake plenum are. I can lower the engine another 1/4", but I'm not sure that's going to help.

Fourth is at the rear of the hood (I see rub marks from the cowl and the battery terminal). I tried to fix this with some 1/4" foam tape to cushion it --and to help seal the underside of the hood from my vents so I didn't get 200 deg air in the summer. All its seem to have done is seal out the hot air, but the foam has flattened out in spots. I also moved the battery over a little bit so the positive terminal sat under a higher spot. Seemed to have fixed the battery rubbing at least.

The main reason this is bugging me so much is whenever I go over decent sized bumps, potholes, etc I can hear the hood contacting stuff in the engine compartment, and I can feel it through the floor, the gas and brake pedals. It drives me absolutely crazy and takes me right back to the days of driving my 1st car the POS '91 Cavalier.

I know this isn't much to go off of right now, as I said I'll get pics posted that'll do a better job explaining the situation. I've been trying to get around to posting this for a couple months now, so I just had to at least get this much posted.

Another hood's not an option. I don't have the money it'd take for another hood and to get it painted to match the rest of the car. Plus...the CS6 looks damn sexy

10701339533_2d55522232_c.jpg

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
The Steeda ones I have will go another 1/4" inch but after that I'd have to get a different set that would let me go down 1". The LH exhaust manifold is already pretty close to the steering shaft; I'm not sure if it would clear at 1" lowered

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
is the cs6 hood meant to fit a gt? is it possible its a terlingua hood?

Last edited:

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
hood fit

There are two guys at the summer local weekly cruise that have this hood. They both look great, The cruise is over for 2013 so I can not ask them about it. Isn't this also the hood that was used on the 06 Shelby GTH ?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I think it is^ the terlingua is the same, but has a deeper scoop

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
is the cs6 hood meant to fit a gt? is it possible its a terlingua hood?

Like Krypton says, it's the same one that goes on the Shelby GT-H (which is just a GT with the FRPP power and handling packs). Besides, I was under the impression that the V6 was actually taller than the V8 (based on what I've seen for Strut tower braces)

I've also seen the Terlingua hood called the "deep draw", the main difference is that the scoop is deeper like irishpwr says, and unlinke the CS6, the scoop is actually functional.

Mine:

DSC_1579.JPG

Terlingua:
hrdp_0806_02_z%2B2008_shelby_terlingua%2Bhood_scoops.jpg

Krypton, if you could ask that'd be awesome. Wade on TheMustangSource had the same hood and he got rid of it for clearance issues (but I think he was adding a S/C)

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
As promised, pics:

Where the intake plenum/throttle body are striking

DSC_1540.JPG

DSC_1546.JPG

DSC_1541.JPG

Rear cowl area

Driver side:

DSC_1550.JPG

DSC_1549.JPG

Passenger Side

DSC_1553.JPG

DSC_1552.JPG

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
So as far as what I can do about that this, as you can see, the passenger side could be shimmed a little more, which may help some of the clearance issues on that corner. It's not going to solve the front intake plenum either.

Speaking of which, lowering the engine another 1/4" might not work that well either. Looking at this pic, you can see the PCV vent tube is resting on the coolant tank. I figure if I drop the engine, the intake plenum will just pivot off that vent tube and I'll keep hitting the hood.

DSC_1566.JPG

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I can replace the 90 degree tube fitting on the intake with a 90 deg elbow to give myself a little clearance

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score

it could be from the hood not lining up but it doesnt even look like it goes with the body lines of the fender. Looks like the bend on the front of the hood is angled more. I take it that its a fiberglass hood which can be a pain in the ass to get to align up right. when i had my s10 i went through two fiberglass hoods and then sprung for a steel one before it bolted up perfectly

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
it could be from the hood not lining up but it doesnt even look like it goes with the body lines of the fender. Looks like the bend on the front of the hood is angled more. I take it that its a fiberglass hood which can be a pain in the ass to get to align up right. when i had my s10 i went through two fiberglass hoods and then sprung for a steel one before it bolted up perfectly

Yeah its a fiberglass hood. I think it distorted when Shelby pulled it out of the mold. It lines up mostly with the fenders, but you're right about the front lip not really lining up. As far as a steel hood goes, I purposely went with fiberglass because I started getting bad aluminum corrosion on the stocker. I didn't want to deal with Ford or fixing it only to have it come back. This was my first fiberglass hood...not sure if I would get another one.

Demoic

forum member
Reaction score
You could probably fix the front rubbing by sanding down the plenum. Although I have to agree with the others that the alignment doesn't look right.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back