Hot Rod Cam install questions

Exit Wounds

Reaction score
So I'm about to install cams in my car, wondered what people thought of the whole replacing the rockers and adjusters thing, along with the timing set while you're in there. I was planing on locking the cam phasers out with the blocks. Should I do that? Why should I replace those if I am? Water pump etc... any things that are must do's? Car has 161k and has no issues.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has 135k when I swapped to Detroit Rockers. All I did was pull the cam covers and swap the cams as per the Ford instructions. Didn't replace anything else (aside from the phaser bolts).

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At 161K you might be ahead to inspect the rest of the timing set, but you have to partially drain the coolant to pull the front cover since one of the radiator hoses has to come off. Probably wouldn't hurt to check out the guides, etc. The followers are roller and probably don't wear much.

Exit Wounds

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! So... Just send it? after checking out the guides :)

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Does the car run fine now? If so, I say send it. Of course, visually inspect anything you can, but I think you'll be fine.

Exit Wounds

Reaction score
Can runs like a champ! I think I have all the stuff except valve cover gaskets.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets are reusable but they can also get hard and inflexible. Might be worth replacing them on a high mileage car just to be safe, they aren't expensive.

davidjurss1

Reaction score
I recently did a Hot Rod cam install on my high mileage GT/CS. Only thing I replaced while I was in there was the phasers and solenoids, since one of the phasers fell apart when I removed it. Figured I'd just replace both at the same time. Other than that, it was all still good. I put it all back together with new gaskets and grommets, and sent it.

Check out the Felpro gaskets. They fit great, and came in Ford blue. Matched my blue valve covers almost perfectly.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I recently changed my cams and replaced my rockers with Ford's new style rockers (improved oiling) as well as the timing set. My car was at 130K when I changed everything, but the car ran perfect before changing anything. I also changed the oil pump with the high flow kit Ford Performance sells, but I really just changed it for peace of mind. My car is a daily and I plan to run it for many more years.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I recently changed my cams and replaced my rockers with Ford's new style rockers (improved oiling) as well as the timing set. My car was at 130K when I changed everything, but the car ran perfect before changing anything. I also changed the oil pump with the high flow kit Ford Performance sells, but I really just changed it for peace of mind. My car is a daily and I plan to run it for many more years.
When did they change the rockers?

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
When did they change the rockers?
I got mine a little over a year ago, and the main difference is the little oiling hole on the rocker. It's cut at an angle versus the straight thru cut ones I took off my car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I got mine a little over a year ago, and the main difference is the little oiling hole on the rocker. It's cut at an angle versus the straight thru cut ones I took off my car.
Interesting, might grab them for a refresh next year. Thanks

Exit Wounds

Reaction score
Cams are in, runs good after replacing plugs from running W/O tune. Thanks for the input

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back