How do you price resale value of your mods?

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Curious, buddy of mine asked me what I could get for my car if I tried to sell it today. Realized I have no idea. I know dealerships don't give a rats ass about mods so, whats a realistic expectation? 50% of what you have in it? Better off parting out?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Selling used aftermarket parts you can expect 50-75% of new, assuming they are like new and working properly. On trade in you will get almost nothing, sometimes it will cost you to leave mods on the car. On a trade you absolutely want it as close to stock as possible.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Mods on the car add very little but it can depend on the buyer, he may see the value. Your best result would be to return to stock and part out the mods.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Having had some experience selling modded vehicles, both basic bolt on stuff and highly modded, general rule of thumb is about 25% return on the dollar for mods, assuming you are selling private.

Selling to a dealership / trade in, zero increase and generally get better or same deal if put it back to factory.

Selling privary party with ton of mods, can get 25% but it will take longer to usually sell as very specific type of buyer who is looking for a vehicle that's already modded. They are def out there, sold 3 well modded vehicle in past few years but can take twice as long to sell as well vs light mods / stock, assuming your price point is reasonable.

Quickest way if doing it private party is usually put it back to stock and then sell the mods yourself.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
will get more cash if parted out than sold with car

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
9/10X it makes more sense to part out. I work in the car business myself and have always demoded my vehicles. My last one however the dealership saw pictures of my 2012 and wanted me to leave it as is and offered roughly $2500 over the money on the car to get it as it was. For a bolt on + suspension car I left it modded and traded it in as I wouldn't have netted much more parting out. On my 2006 I made a pretty penny demodding the car back to 100% stock.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the car business as well. Most dealerships don't like aftermarket parts, appearance mods can add value if they actually make it look more appealing. Example: today I bought a 2010 Camaro SS, cammed with a D1SC procharger for $1,000 more than I would've paid for a stock one. It was traded it in a GMC dealer and they didn't want to retail it.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Just know that it could be a long time before you sell those parts. I've been at it 2 years and still have 2 parts left from my complete de-mod.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My experience is 50 cents on the dollar for used parts when they actually sell.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1 on de-modding if you can, to get the most out of your parts. Of course, labor and potential shop-time can affect the value of any de-mod, especially minor ones or basic suspension changes. Biggies, like f/i on the other hand, are usually worth restoring to n/a and then selling the f/i setup.
Easiest is of course finding someone to buy the whole car as-is and you get more out of just selling the car in stock or near-stock form. This is not easy, though, and as mentioned, you have to find the right buyer. It is MUCH easier selling a stock or near-stock car to the general public. I've had buyers want only a pure-stock car, with no performance mods whatsoever, while others have appreciated minor upgrades.

But, instead of trading in to a dealer with all the mods and getting nothing for them or getting less because of them, try to find someone to sell to, locally or not, and give them the opportunity to do the de-mod and cash in on the back-to-stockish conversion work ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back