How much sound deadener to cover floors and trunk?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I started pulling my carpet tonight...found out the padding is soaked under the entire front carpet so it all has to come out.

Figured that while I have it all out I might as well install some sound deadening on the floor. About how many square feet is required to do the whole thing?

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I used this kit with 36 sq ft which was enough to do under the rear seat and up the sides under the rear quarter windows and a little under the rear shelf. I also got a door kit and I can't remember if I used this kit to supplement the door kit at all. I think I did (it was 2009).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CB2...abc_E3KR8X883DHCYR61FRQA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also just put down 8 sq ft along the transmission tunnel which was enough to go from the shifter to about the rear bolts for the front seats. It covered from the sides of the tunnel down to about 6-8" on the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CAV...abc_8ENVTTR52V3XJ5D5VJ95?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Laga

Reaction score
36 sqft was enough to cover bottom and sides of the trunk, and up to the back of the front seats on the floor. I also used every square inch of the material and did not throw away any. Thats as far as I went with it. Its enough to reduce the exhaust noise, and personly, I feel no more is necessary.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I started pulling my carpet tonight...found out the padding is soaked under the entire front carpet so it all has to come out.

Figured that while I have it all out I might as well install some sound deadening on the floor. About how many square feet is required to do the whole thing?

Why is the carpet soaked? Not a good sign.

Gray5OH

Reaction score
36 sqft was enough to cover bottom and sides of the trunk, and up to the back of the front seats on the floor. I also used every square inch of the material and did not throw away any. Thats as far as I went with it. Its enough to reduce the exhaust noise, and personly, I feel no more is necessary.

did you go with this dynamat the OP posted? And did it actually help with exhaust noise? I’m in a similar situation and looking for a solution.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
10 years ago I bought 2 boxes of the popular name brand stuff for my Bullitt. Used one box, second is still in the garage somewhere. I assume it is one solid block of rubber by now.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering this stuff on ebay called Mat66. Had very good reviews so I figured I'd try it out.

Laga

Reaction score
did you go with this dynamat the OP posted? And did it actually help with exhaust noise? I’m in a similar situation and looking for a solution.
I used this from Amazon. And yes, it does make a difference. When I added the supercharger, the Borla Stingers had a terrible drone. The material really helped soften the volume. After finding Lito and replacing the shit tune that came from Brenspeed, the drone was reduced by 75%. Then when I converted to E85, the tone was changed and now, even the wife has stopped complaining about the noise. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Probably worth noting . . . the OEM stuff under the carpet is sound deadening foam.

The butyl stuff, like dynomat, is vibration dampener. They both serve their own purpose and will have different results.

DBcooper

Reaction score
72 sq ft of dynamat did my ENTIRE car minus the trunk - roof, floor boards all the way up to the firewall, back seat area, doors, and the back wheel well areas. This made the car feel much more solid but did very little to deaden sound.

I also applied just shy of 2 sheets of dynapad on top of the dynamat. This really blocked out a lot of exterior and exhaust noises.

I'm guessing 36 sq ft would be enough to do the entire trunk area.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably worth noting . . . the OEM stuff under the carpet is sound deadening foam.

What's a good replacement for this stuff? I pulled it all off and pitched it because it was saturated with water and I knew I would never get it dry.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
What's a good replacement for this stuff? I pulled it all off and pitched it because it was saturated with water and I knew I would never get it dry.

I only searched briefly, but I know its out there. With all the modifications I have (built motor, cams, full exhaust), I can hear exhaust gases clanking at the header collectors near the location where the trans tunnel, floor, and firewall meet -- but only from inside the car and not from outside or near the engine bay. Confirmed what I was hearing with the car running on a lift and with a stethoscope.

I was researching to see if I could mitigate that sound by beefing up the interior insulation, but never really followed through. But, I did look into it enough to know that dynomat-type materials wouldn't help me there. You might end up just having to buy a role of the foam in the aftermarket and cutting to size.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
You may be better off just buying new carpet that comes with the new pad. Its not expensive
https://www.cjponyparts.com/2005-20...UZ1EGsJ57MpWq4mk0s3T_N00uN82fQ6UaAtT5EALw_wcB

That's good info.

I wonder if the "mass back" version really has much benefit over OEM. I would think they would have to reduce the thickness of the foam pad to compensate, which would just trade one sound range for another.

If it really does amount to OEM quality with the addition of a dynomat layer, then putting new carpet in will be virtually as cheap (and a lot less trouble) than adding dynomat to the floor and reinstalling the OEM carpet.

EDIT: I called ACC Carpet, and they said the mass back version is what will give you the same sound deadening quality as the OEM (no better, no worse)

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's weird, I watched a video on the carpet and it made it sound like the mass back carpeting had the rubber-like layer on the back of it like the OEM stuff does.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
That was my point . . . the "mass black" version is just like OEM. No better, no worse

DBcooper

Reaction score
I just installed mass back acc carpet in my 2005 when I did the dynamat and dynapad. It may have had a little thicker padding when compared to the factory carpet but not enough to make any difference IMO. LMR and cj pony parts advertise it as being an upgrade to the OEM stuff - definitely not my experience.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back