How much to ask for a lightly used built Longblock

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am looking to sell the longblock in my car. I am changing directions with it to get it up and going faster than progress is being made now. I am unsure what motor will be going in it but it will not be a 3V.

Here are the specs on the motor.
Modular Performance 326ci Big Bore 9.3:1 compression ratio
Kellogg Crankhaft 3.75" stroke
Oliver Billet I-Beam Rods
Custom Diamond Pistons (9.3:1 CR) Top and Side Coated
Custom L&M Engine Billet Cams
Livernois St. 3 heads
JPC Intake Powder Coated Black and machined to fit a Monoblade Throttlebody
Billet Monoblade throttlebody
Melling Billlet Oil Pump
Cams locked out
All new timing setup

Motor has 250 miles on it, 8 dyno pulls, and 2 passes at the track.
It made 350 rwhp and 310 rwtq through a loose converter 4R70W and 9" rearend with 4.10 gears. Car went 12.0 @ 117 and 12.1 @ 118 on 2 passes it made.

What you see here is what you get. There will be a water pump installed on it though. There will not be any headers or manifolds on it.

Tag from Modular Performance

Here is a video of it idling for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0VsmKJ4cg

I am looking to see about what it could sell for as I know I will not get the almost $16k I have in it.

So what would be a reasonably fair price to ask?

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
When I wrecked my Bullitt the built engine was about 5 months old and I had about $12K in it. I posted it for sale for $8K and managed to sell it for $7500 plus shipping.

Last edited:

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
7 -8 k with the right buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
So we will never see your build in action..................bummer. I was following it for awhile till you dropped off the face of the earth. LOL

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'd at least sell the intake separate. I think you will get more out of it by parting it. There just aren't too many people looking to buy a complete motor ready to go.

Without the JPC intake I'd say $5000 but you would have to find a buyer. Parted out it should bring $3k for the shortblock, $1500 for the heads, $400 for the cams, etc.

I'd try to find a buyer for the whole motor first. BTW you can't have 326 cubic inches with a 3.750" stroke unless the bore is 3.720". The only way to get it with 3.701" is with a 3.8" stroke crank.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So we will never see your build in action..................bummer. I was following it for awhile till you dropped off the face of the earth. LOL

Been busy with work and modding my other vehicles. You will see it running. Looking into a built GT500 motor with a 4.2L or 4.7L Kenne Bell. This is already in the works with or without selling this motor. If I feel I will lose to much then I will find something to put this in.

I'd at least sell the intake separate. I think you will get more out of it by parting it. There just aren't too many people looking to buy a complete motor ready to go.

Without the JPC intake I'd say $5000 but you would have to find a buyer. Parted out it should bring $3k for the shortblock, $1500 for the heads, $400 for the cams, etc.

I'd try to find a buyer for the whole motor first. BTW you can't have 326 cubic inches with a 3.750" stroke unless the bore is 3.720". The only way to get it with 3.701" is with a 3.8" stroke crank.

Correct, .020 over bore on block. That is what builder did to all the engines he built. It was built by John Tymensky at Modular Performance.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to wait a couple weeks till I get in from offshore to get updated pictures with my screen name and date and then it will be in the classifieds.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow you have some nice parts in that build.

Why the change in direction? Looks like you were almost done?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wanted to do something different. I got ripped pretty bad on the custom twin turbo kit and honestly should just sell the car for whatever I can get for it or light it on fire. At the moment the only thing done is the up pipes for the turbo kit, so it has a lot of work to be done to get it finished.

I sat and thought about it for a while, then decided to just look for a GT500 motor and buy a big ass Kenne Bell. Then get a good 6 speed trans and go row some gears again. So I may just store the motor and trans in the car now for a future project if the engine doesn't sell.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Think long and hard on the GT500 swap.

I'm happy with how it came out for me, but when I look at my records on how much I spent.... I almost trigger an aneurysm.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Think long and hard on the GT500 swap.

I'm happy with how it came out for me, but when I look at my records on how much I spent.... I almost trigger an aneurysm.

I am going into it with a budget of $30k. That is to get drop out motor with trans, ecu, wiring harness, pedals, ect. Then getting motor and trans built, then the Kenne Bell.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wanted to do something different. I got ripped pretty bad on the custom twin turbo kit and honestly should just sell the car for whatever I can get for it or light it on fire. At the moment the only thing done is the up pipes for the turbo kit, so it has a lot of work to be done to get it finished.

I sat and thought about it for a while, then decided to just look for a GT500 motor and buy a big ass Kenne Bell. Then get a good 6 speed trans and go row some gears again. So I may just store the motor and trans in the car now for a future project if the engine doesn't sell.

Why? This just doesn't make any sense at all. Your current motor should be more potent and have more potential than a 5.4. When you go to a 5.4 you will lose the valve unshrouding and nearly square bore/stroke you now have. It will be a less efficient motor and a huge waste of money imo. All for less power.

You can still put a supercharger on this motor and change the tranny to a 6060 without swapping the motor.

IMO a 5.4 would be a step backwards. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Why? This just doesn't make any sense at all. Your current motor should be more potent and have more potential than a 5.4. When you go to a 5.4 you will lose the valve unshrouding and nearly square bore/stroke you now have. It will be a less efficient motor and a huge waste of money imo. All for less power.

You can still put a supercharger on this motor and change the tranny to a 6060 without swapping the motor.

IMO a 5.4 would be a step backwards. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Your crazy if you think 4v heads are a step backwards!

OP, Dustin(CPRsm) has a gt500 setup with a twin kit, trans, ECU and all that good stuff for 9k, it's posted in the f/s section.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

OP, Dustin(CPRsm) has a gt500 setup with a twin kit, trans, ECU and all that good stuff for 9k, it's posted in the f/s section.

Already been in touch with him. He is going to send me some pics so I can see what all is there.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

He already has stage 3 Livernois heads plus forced induction. A small bore/long stroke 5.4 is a step backwards. His motor can make the most use of high flowing heads because of the larger bore. There is a whole lot more going on than just peak head flow on a bench.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
He already has stage 3 Livernois heads plus forced induction. A small bore/long stroke 5.4 is a step backwards. His motor can make the most use of high flowing heads because of the larger bore. There is a whole lot more going on than just peak head flow on a bench.

I understand bore size and the unshrouding of the valves, and have done some port flow work on both heads and will say that the 4v heads are leaps and bounds ahead of the 3v heads. Who's to say the 4v heads cant be ported? Now the low lift #'s will be affected but I dont think the OP is trying to build a motor to pull a boat. Not trying to be a dick, but if a large bore 3v motor was more efficient than a gt500 motor or ford GT motor then why do all of the "fast guys" use the less efficient combo to get the job done?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I understand bore size and the unshrouding of the valves, and have done some port flow work on both heads and will say that the 4v heads are leaps and bounds ahead of the 3v heads. Who's to say the 4v heads cant be ported? Now the low lift #'s will be affected but I dont think the OP is trying to build a motor to pull a boat. Not trying to be a dick, but if a large bore 3v motor was more efficient than a gt500 motor or ford GT motor then why do all of the "fast guys" use the less efficient combo to get the job done?

I just don't think it would make much of a difference. The air is being forced in. He could always put 4v heads on the current motor if head flow was the major concern.

I think that his current combo na would make more power, rev higher and faster than a GT500 motor na. Just for comparison.

What's the closest thing to a na 5.4 with 4v heads? A navigator? Anyway imo there is a whole lot more going on here than peak head flow. It would be nice to have the funds to prove it right or wrong.

His motor was put together by a retired Ford engineer who is well known for building reliable, high horsepower motors. Definitely a step backwards imo.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I just don't think it would make much of a difference. The air is being forced in. He could always put 4v heads on the current motor if head flow was the major concern.

I think that his current combo na would make more power, rev higher and faster than a GT500 motor na. Just for comparison.

What's the closest thing to a na 5.4 with 4v heads? A navigator? Anyway imo there is a whole lot more going on here than peak head flow. It would be nice to have the funds to prove it right or wrong.

His motor was put together by a retired Ford engineer who is well known for building reliable, high horsepower motors. Definitely a step backwards imo.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that there's a problem with the engine and he'd rather sell it and start over than fix the problem. Makes no sense otherwise to sell off a $15K built engine and start over with a stock GT500 engine. Regardless, if I were shopping for an engine I would avoid this one like the plague based on the seller's actions.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back