How to hook on a street tire?

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^ lol, they called my pep boy tires "performance" tire too. but nice 60ft cuts you made. I just got drag radials and I cant cut below a 2.0 last time I had the car @ the track. Car was bogging @ 4500 launches. I'm told I should try 5500...

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
on 255/50/17 i cut a best of 1.73 on my 320 treadwear rating Fuzion ZRi's. and that was with 310-330whp. a good set of rear springs with control arms and a good street tire and you will be just fine.

gotsboost

forum member
Reaction score
on 255/50/17 i cut a best of 1.73 on my 320 treadwear rating Fuzion ZRi's. and that was with 310-330whp. a good set of rear springs with control arms and a good street tire and you will be just fine.

Thats what I needed to hear.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
now i will say i have bmr springs. they have a stock rear spring rate and a little higher in the front so the bmr springs accidentally work really well for drag racing. i launch the car at about 5k and slip the clutch fast and i literally can't get this car to mess up. the worst sixty foot i ever cut was a 2.0 and that was trying to dump the clutch at 6k lol.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
(thats not my real time, shhhhhh)

that was for the people that dont believe my sixty foot and or street races.

i ran a 12.6@109 with a 1.7 and a 12.9@110 with a 2.0 short time.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
(thats not my real time, shhhhhh)

that was for the people that dont believe my sixty foot and or street races.

i ran a 12.6@109 with a 1.7 and a 12.9@110 with a 2.0 short time.

Holy gay...

gotsboost

forum member
Reaction score
Using street tires to try to launch is as pointless as taking sand to the beach.

Get some DR's and stop dicking around or keep doing gay roll 'racing'....

' ' = I use the term loosely.

I feel gay roll racing thats why Im working on it. I want some racestars with some 325 50's.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel gay roll racing thats why Im working on it. I want some racestars with some 325 50's.

Get a good street/strip drag radial on there. Dont bother trying to cut a good 60 on a street tire. And to the "shhhhhhh" guy that cut a 1.73 60 on a "street" tire, post some pics of your tire and a time slip..

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
just because you suck at life and can't get anywhere near the time of a person you don't like doesn't mean i have to prove shit to you. i have already posted a video of it and you still keep up with this "prove it" bs. im sorry your not as good as me, maybe someday, but probably not. oh and your not the only one who is jealous of my time. thanks pumpkin.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whoa there chief, why so defensive? take an oxy or something to calm down, lol..I know you are the John Force twin he never knew he had, but just relax..lets see some more of those badass roll racing vids you have...mmmkay? :roflmao::roflmao:

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oh joy!!! I cant wait!!! Maybe you should sticky them for all the world to see..:crazy::stooges:..dork..

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
with the azenis if you lower the pressures some, you shoudl hit 1.9 60' times, possibly 1.8s. just go play with tire pressures.

i got a 1.986 60' the last run of the day when i actually tried launching at a higher rpm (4k). i never blew the tires off the car at all. i wish i had launched at about 5k and seen how it did. and i was running 27psi. at around 22psi im sure i would have had even more traction.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh shit!! Im sorry!! I should have never said anything if I knew you had proof like that!!! What a friggin dumbass I am..:roflmao:

ROFLMAO......:LMAO:

That is some stellar,sure thing, undisputed, slam dunk, undeniable, and unquestionable proof right there! :asshat:

Listen guys - back when you were thinking about owning a mustang of your own, I was trying every street tire, DR, and slick known to mankind. Let my exhaustive time and wasted money be an example for you and let me tell you what is fact...

#1 - NO NON DR STREET TIRE HOOKS FOR SHIT
#2 - The MT ET Street with the M5 compound of the ET drags is the best hooking DR for our cars. The Hoosier DR is in a respectable 2nd place - fuck everything else.
#3 - the TIRE HIEGHT is what you guys want to focus on. Width means squat - you want to get as large a 'footprint' as you can with your tire and launching after hooking is taken care of is all about that 'footprint' and the tire height. Not to mention, the taller the tire - the steeper you can go in your gears.

Everything is related to everything else. I always see so many of you guys talking about buying tires, then talking about a panhard bar... then some LCA's, then some shocks, etc, etc.

THE SECRET IS TO USE EVERYTHING IN CONJUNCTION WITH EACH OTHER TO GET THE MAXIMUM BENEFIT.

Just because you heard that the CA relocation brackets work great and you've heard an extreme anti roll bar work great doesn't mean combining the 2 will work great. In that exact example for instance - the anti roll bar works much better WITHOUT relocation brackets.

Coilovers work great in the front but work like shit in the rear on a 3 link suspension... the best springs are not as cut and dry as you guys read about on the forums - did you know that the right spring has everything to do with the weight of your car? and not just the total weight - but how your weight is distributed?

My point is that if you want to do it right, examine your entire suspension and make a plan up front for every piece you want to use and go from there. You don't have to buy everything up front, you can buy them piece at a time - but know up front exactly the entire set-up you are going to go with and run it by a pro to make sure it's right. make sure your 'pro' - is a guy who actually has nailed down 60' times in application and not just in 'theory'.

On the bone stock motor with a vortech s/c and completely stock rear end, (only 4.10 gears) through a stock manual transmission - I was cutting mid 1.5 60's 5 years ago at 450 rwhp

My 60's today on a factory 3 link set-up are always in the 1.3's and I've had a few in the 1.2's ... this is what I base my opinions on and nothing else. When you can cut better 60's than me - I'll be all ears to learn what tires I should use...:asshat:

Last edited:

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I run consistent 1.8s on 235/50/18s.. Air pressure dropped to 16lbs, take off at 1400rpms and i'm golden. Haven't run it with the new 285/35/18s tho. Prob would be able to hook better, the old 235s were pretty bald.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run consistent 1.8s on 235/50/18s.. Air pressure dropped to 16lbs, take off at 1400rpms and i'm golden. Haven't run it with the new 285/35/18s tho. Prob would be able to hook better, the old 235s were pretty bald.

No offense to you personally, but in my humble opinion, cutting 60's anything above 1.6 is a waste of time at the drag strip and better served playing around in your local parking lot.

I would be flat out ashamed to go to a drag strip and race with a vehicle that is no more modified than the average grocery-getter.

Mostly because the 'real racers' have to wait forever in line behind these fool cars to get any runs in.

I shit you not, I have seen minivans, freakin' minivans! at Irwindale and diesel trucks, and everything under the soon and could only get 3 passes in all night because of these idiots.

True story - and anyone who knows me will confirm - I almost got KILLED at Irwindale in my car because some idiot in a 1980's volvo lined up with me and cut across the line at the first turnout as I was passing the 1/8 mile trap at 120 mph!

This is why I seldom go to any street TNT events anymore; that and because you fools with street tires try to showoff your john force burnout powers and drag water up to the line! Never ceases to me amaze me seeing guys doing burnouts on street tires - 97% of them do and it does absolutely zip for street tires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back