HPX-E Maf Installion Blow-Through

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
After dealing with some drive-ability issues lately I've decided to make some changes. I've always known the draw-through MAF wasnt ideal for my setup but it never really caused any issues. After upping the boost a bit its starting to become a pain to get the tune dialed in. Not to mention running the stock maf with a mafia was never a good idea to being with. Got that early on before I really knew anything.

So anyways the new maf should be in within next two days. Been trying to work with my tuner to see what he needs pre/post installation. I'm currently running the mondo now, recirc back into intake. So I'll be venting that to atmo once the maf is in. I've heard its going to be crazy loud so I already expect that.

I'll be having a flange welded into my piping about 12 inches from the throttle body. Ive heard this is about the most ideal position I can put it in. Due to the bends and what not in the piping.

My concerns are in the tuning. I dont think this should be to much of an issue for my tuner to send me an update or if I'll have to log and send it off and wait. Car only sees occasional street time on nice weekends and a monthly trip to the track. But I dont like having it down for to long. I get an itch to take it out once in a while.

Anyone else out there go through this change?

Running Paxton Novi2200

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Not in an S197, but I went from draw through to blow through.The car was pretty close after the swap. It just took a couple tweaks. But the driveability was so much better.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Blow-thru is the way to go, you'll never look back. Your BOV may be loud. I have the Procharger Big Red, I like it loud. Keeps the turbo-ricers behind my doors (for fear of going deaf). There are alternatives for BOV's if you feel the need to turn the volume down on it.

My MAF is mounted in the intercooler, I haven't had any issues with it being there, but you want at least a good 10-12" of straight pipe with the MAF in the middle. I would make sure this straight piece is adjustable, so that if you have to clock the MAF differently, you can.

You can have a shorter straight run of pipe, but you'll be more susceptible to MAF wash, which you'd have to start clocking the MAF to find the ideal position for the least/no wash. It's whatever you can get away with!

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Also making up my own "power pipe" after coming across BruceH's thread.

Looks like a good spot to me, plenty of straight run there.

A power pipe is a good idea. That filter on that Centri in the picture looks suffocating, and drawing air directly from the radiator fan lol. Get a decent sized filter for your blower, the internals will thank you for it. The blower does enough work compressing the air, without having to fight a vacuum created by filter restriction.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
I'm going to fab up some sort of heat shield once I get everything else figured out. I got the 90 elbow and 45 degree aluminum intake pipe. Going to get whatever size filter I can get on there. May even cut the aluminum pipe down a bit to install a larger filter. Anything to get it to breath easier. Been trying to get ahold of PMAS to get some idea on when the sensor is going to ship. Ready to get this done and put her back on the rollers with a new tune.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back