I was wondering about this whole "stroking"

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
Well i have a 2009 v6 4.0 and a friend of mine has the 2010 v6 which is also supposed to be a 4.0 but he says that its actually a 4.2 twin turbo and he gets 480hp. i was wondering does this mean he "stroked" his 4.0? if so how hard is it really to do it can i just purchase the parts and do it, do they last long and also is it worth it? i really just wanna reach 400-450 hp and dont want to get a gt so i was thinking about doing the whole stroke thing first and then getting the same twin turbo hes running.

WereWolf

forum member
Reaction score
Well i have a 2009 v6 4.0 and a friend of mine has the 2010 v6 which is also supposed to be a 4.0 but he says that its actually a 4.2 twin turbo and he gets 480hp. i was wondering does this mean he "stroked" his 4.0? if so how hard is it really to do it can i just purchase the parts and do it, do they last long and also is it worth it? i really just wanna reach 400-450 hp and dont want to get a gt so i was thinking about doing the whole stroke thing first and then getting the same twin turbo hes running.

how much crack does he smoke?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The most HP I have seen on a 4.0L is a 400HP TT car. But than again I dont believe the bottom end was stock, I dont believe the stock block can handle just about double the power output of the 4.0. Even if you did stroke the 4.0L IDK what kind crankshaft you would need to stroke achieve an extra .2L but at that point you would probably have to run a fair amount of boost even with the extra .2L to achieve 480HP. At that point it probably would have been cheaper to get a 07-09 GT500

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I wan 440 on the 4.0 with a ProCharger at 14psi. The bottom end was stock, but the heads were stage 3s with regrind cams from SSM. The best I got out of it was a 12.5 at my altitude (in Pueblo, CO).

It was fun, but that time and energy would've been better spend on the V8.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
I would think 480 on a 2010 is possible......would cost FAR MORE money than simply charging a GT after everything was said in done......but I would also think that the block would be subject to busting at any minute

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I would think 480 on a 2010 is possible......would cost FAR MORE money than simply charging a GT after everything was said in done......but I would also think that the block would be subject to busting at any minute
+1

All the folks who have pushed the 4.0 past 500 were on borrowed time.

Manley does make rods for the 4.0 now, however. There is an M90 with built 4.0 build going on at the Mustang Collective right now.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back