IAT's and spark

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? I’m hearin’ ya, I’m just not 100% convinced.

positive i had the convo with Jim Bell personally.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with that and my dyno guy was very suprised. Like you aside from making the intake/IC better I'm pretty maxed out though.

id say that is great for sure :thumb2:

I’m going to go from my 20GPM pump to a 55GPM but aside from that I’m about maxed out. My HE is a BeCool Pro Stock radiator that I modded to work as a HE. It’s massive, efficient and I can’t fit anything bigger in the front of the car. It works great. It’s water discharge temps are always right about ambient (my data system pulls temp from the HE exit). Aside from adding ice somewhere my water supply isn’t getting any cooler.

I hear ya well your new setup you spoke of should help.

I will consider it (pump) for sure. I may also go to 100% distilled w/water wetter. I have an extra flex hose and new air filter I'm going to be installing next spring. Sounds like the best time to put a different pump in there. If I change the mixture then I will just have to deal with taking the bumper off in October and refilling it - unless I can find an easier way to drain the system partially and put in some antifreeze.

You dont need to remove the front bumper to drain the coolant. disconnect the hose that returns the water from the intercooler to the KB tank, turn the key to the accessory position, and let the pump pump it out. sure it wont get 100% of it out, but it will get most out, then add your distilled water. the little coolant you have left in the system will act as a corrosion deterrent. If you wanted to get it all out, you can just disconnect the bottom hose of the heat exchanger and gravity will drain it out. You can do that without removing the front bumper as well, just remove the splash guard that goes fro mthe front bumper to the rad support bracket.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm running the Meziere 20GPM. Soon to be replaced with a 55GPM when I make a new IC and mod the intake.

that meziere 55GPM pump SCREAMS. its very loud and it vibrates like crazy. Ask me how i know? lol

make sure you insulate wherever you mount it with lots of rubber or equivalent or you will curse the heavens after its installed. I would hear the damn thing over my exhaust lol

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, My IATs are similar to the other KB cars in this thread....cruising at 70mph (2000rpm) on a 75-80 degree day they hover around 125-135 deg. A little less at slower speeds. They don't spike up too much at WOT.

I think a lot has to do with the sensor being right in the hot manifold where it gets heat soaked and stays that way. My buddies '95 GT had the IAT sensor in the manifold and always had super high IAT readings and then moved it to the pipe after the blower but before the manifold and the readings cooled way down.

My setup is a 1.7L intercooled on a '99 2v car, pullied all the way up to 14psi peak. Forged 8.9:1 shortblock, Patriot heads, custom cams, longtubes, etc. I just got the car, and as far as I know all the intercooler pieces (lines, pump, h/e, tank) are factory KB pieces.

I was a little worried too but after reading this thread it seems pretty normal. I got spoiled I guess with my old '05 GT with the On3 turbo kit (generally IATs were around 5-10* above ambient with anything other than WOT) and the intercooled T-trim I had before that on it (around 15-20* above ambient).

EDIT: side note, I'm running E85 so I'm not as concerned with highish IATs as you 91-93 octane guys might/should be.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW, My IATs are similar to the other KB cars in this thread....cruising at 70mph (2000rpm) on a 75-80 degree day they hover around 125-135 deg. A little less at slower speeds. They don't spike up too much at WOT.

I think a lot has to do with the sensor being right in the hot manifold where it gets heat soaked and stays that way. My buddies '95 GT had the IAT sensor in the manifold and always had super high IAT readings and then moved it to the pipe after the blower but before the manifold and the readings cooled way down.

My setup is a 1.7L intercooled on a '99 2v car, pullied all the way up to 14psi peak. Forged 8.9:1 shortblock, Patriot heads, custom cams, longtubes, etc. I just got the car, and as far as I know all the intercooler pieces (lines, pump, h/e, tank) are factory KB pieces.

I was a little worried too but after reading this thread it seems pretty normal. I got spoiled I guess with my old '05 GT with the On3 turbo kit (generally IATs were around 5-10* above ambient with anything other than WOT) and the intercooled T-trim I had before that on it (around 15-20* above ambient).

EDIT: side note, I'm running E85 so I'm not as concerned with highish IATs as you 91-93 octane guys might/should be.

take your e85 corn gas and SHOVE IT! lol

we are all jealous lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the tips. That helps!

no prob. someone better benefit from my experiences lol. belts, blowers, IAT temps and now rear ends. damn, ive become an expert. that means ive spent way too much money, haha

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
take your e85 corn gas and SHOVE IT! lol

we are all jealous lol

Lolz, when I bought the car it was tuned for 92 pump. Since it has an Aeromotive A1000 pump and big lines etc I figured this "hotair-pump" blower car would be a perfect candidate for E85. Picked up around 40rwhp and 40ft-lbs at the same boost level. Currently 19 degrees of timing at WOT.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
FWIW when I did experiment with WOT pulls on the street from a roll IATs fell slightly and didn't start to climb fast until the top of the pull. Even in pretty warm temps like 80s I think it would be fine in that situation.

The issue would be after a 5-6 sec. healthy 2nd gear burnout at the race track. Going to stage I would just about bet that the temps would be right on the edge of pulling timing before you even get the green light. Admittedly I haven't tested this yet but it is my fear.

I think KB's tune and setup is overall pretty safe - especially as nice as I am to it compared to some of you guys. lol

no prob. someone better benefit from my experiences lol. belts, blowers, IAT temps and now rear ends. damn, ive become an expert. that means ive spent way too much money, haha
You should write a book. ;)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW when I did experiment with WOT pulls on the street from a roll IATs fell slightly and didn't start to climb fast until the top of the pull. Even in pretty warm temps like 80s I think it would be fine in that situation.

The issue would be after a 5-6 sec. healthy 2nd gear burnout at the race track. Going to stage I would just about bet that the temps would be right on the edge of pulling timing before you even get the green light. Admittedly I haven't tested this yet but it is my fear.

I think KB's tune and setup is overall pretty safe - especially as nice as I am to it compared to some of you guys. lol

You should write a book. ;)

go test it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back