Idle relearn

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So I just now have come across this after owning my car for over a year. I can't find a definitive thread to tell me how to do it and exactly when it is necessary. I've changed out the alternator and the plugs since I've had it and never performed an idle relearn. Is it really that important?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing major. It's just idling a little higher than it used to when I bought it. Thought maybe it had something to do with it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would look for something mechanical before anything else. Not that the relearn procedure is going to hurt anything but I think the car does it by itself every once in a while, not sure on that though. Anyways start with cleaning the MAF and throttle body. Even the charge motion plates could probably use a good cleaning. Then see how she is.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of doin the "free stuff" first. But yeah, I'll look at gettin those cleaned. Thanks for the input.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
After unhooking the battery or installing a new tune, the idle relearn is done by starting the car and letting it idle for 30 seconds with the AC off. Then another 30 seconds with the AC on. Then you're good to go. If you don't do it the car will still learn the idle eventually.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I was looking for skwerl. Thanks. The process I came across the most was "every time you disconnect your battery, you got get it up to operating temp, then let it idle for 10 minutes. Then turn off and restart and run for 10 minutes with the a/c on. Then go drive it around town for another 10 minutes. If you don't do all these steps the base idle will be off and will throw everything else off." Freaked me out a little since I've never done anything close to that.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That's what I was looking for skwerl. Thanks. The process I came across the most was "every time you disconnect your battery, you got get it up to operating temp, then let it idle for 10 minutes. Then turn off and restart and run for 10 minutes with the a/c on. Then go drive it around town for another 10 minutes. If you don't do all these steps the base idle will be off and will throw everything else off." Freaked me out a little since I've never done anything close to that.

Even if you don't do the idle relearn it will still adjust itself with adaptive learning. It will just take longer. The "base idle" is totally dependent on tune parameters.

If you ever find that the idle keeps going bad and idle relearn needs to be done frequently it points to either a mechanical issue or adaptive is learning bad habits from a tune that needs adjusting.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back