Installing breathers question

kramden

Reaction score
Some guy say they took the PCV apart and removed the check ball. My valve doesn't seem to seal whether it has pressure or vacuum on it. In other words it never seals off completely. Why bother taking it apart if it doesn't block the pressure off?

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I can't answer, because I just threw breathers on the connectors on my valve covers and capped the intake manifold. Nothing has leaked from the filters yet.

kramden

Reaction score
That's my point. Even with the ball in it's still open.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just remove the entire valve and replace it with the updated PCV assembly.. Also, if your running breathers.. The PCV check valve should be removed anyhow..

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I can't answer, because I just threw breathers on the connectors on my valve covers and capped the intake manifold. Nothing has leaked from the filters yet.

In order for the breathers to be fully effective, it's also required to remove the PCV's check valve as well..

Last edited:

Tri-bar

Reaction score
If you use a Oil separators your PCV still must work. Your just adding a catch can in between the heads and the intake. If however you want to use the race car style breather then you have to cap off the intake ports and run both hoses to the Peterson breather can.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you use a Oil separators your PCV still must work. Your just adding a catch can in between the heads and the intake. If however you want to use the race car style breather then you have to cap off the intake ports and run both hoses to the Peterson breather can.

An oil separator is designed to work in conjunction with the factory PCV system.. Therefore it must remain fully functional.. If using breather filters/breather cans ? they vent the crankcase by bypassing the PCV system altogether.. This is why it's required to cap off the PCV's intake and vacuum ports, otherwise not doing so will create a vacuum leak along with allowing un-metered air to enter the crankcase..

Tri-bar

Reaction score
In not as many words that's what I said, I use both setups depending on street or track.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The difference between your post and mine is this.. I also mentioned that running a passive/open breather setup functions by bypassing the factory's PCV active system and I also provided in exact detail what the consequences would result, if the PCV intake and vacuum ports aren't capped off when running an open breather system..

Last edited:

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard that breathers are bad for
The engine? Someone once told me something about ring seal with breathers... Doesn't make sense to me

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back