Instument Cluster Light Output Question

Dynomax

Reaction score
I have an ’08 and like to run in daylight with the park lights on. The issue I have is that when any of the lights are on, the dash lights dim. This of course is correct function and highly desirable at night, but during the day makes reading anything in the information centre (like distance to empty) very difficult at a glance. The dash illumination control does not provide the option of “full on” when reaching the high end of travel (it just turns the map reading lights on). Other vehicles I have owned have the ability to run the dash lights at full with the exterior lights on.

Has anyone found a “fix” for this? I am thinking that it may be possible to use the feed from the switch’s variable illumination function that turns the map lights on at full travel and use it to feed the dash illumination at full output. This will mean that the map light control function is lost, however these can still be turned on manually at the lights themselves.

Any suggestions?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
All you can do is try it.
Unknown what other issues it may cause besides not being able to turn on the dome light from the headlamp switch. I never traced the dimmer function circuit. Is the cluster getting the signal to dim from the headlamp switch or the SJB over the can bus? I have no idea.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
That's my complaint with my 2008 Mustang GT/CS convertible, the dash lights in the daytime. Several years ago I looked at changing out the instrument cluster but Ford wanted about $1400, so I didn't do it. Nighttime the lights are fine but in the daytime I can not read several of the instruments. I have thought of asking my mechanic to change out the dash lights from white to red bulbs in hopes that would improve the visibility.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
We dont need no stinkin' guages. lol
Honestly, this was never an issue for me.

Dynomax

Reaction score
All you can do is try it.
Unknown what other issues it may cause besides not being able to turn on the dome light from the headlamp switch. I never traced the dimmer function circuit. Is the cluster getting the signal to dim from the headlamp switch or the SJB over the can bus? I have no idea.
Thanks for your input and yes, I have concerns about what side effects I may create by simply using the dimmer control's map light switching to "hot wire" the cluster lights.

Dynomax

Reaction score
That's my complaint with my 2008 Mustang GT/CS convertible, the dash lights in the daytime. Several years ago I looked at changing out the instrument cluster but Ford wanted about $1400, so I didn't do it. Nighttime the lights are fine but in the daytime I can not read several of the instruments. I have thought of asking my mechanic to change out the dash lights from white to red bulbs in hopes that would improve the visibility.
I can read the instruments and information display in daylight no problem as long as the exterior lights are off. It is quite common where I live to use your side/park lights as running lights on "dull" days and of course as soon as you do that, the dash is reduced to approximately half output (at the highest dimmer setting) and everything is very difficult to read. I have had other vehicles where the dimmer can simply provides full brightness regardless when required and that's what I am hoping to do here. I was a technician in a Ford workshop many years ago and experience taught me not to make changes like this without researching first!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back