Is 91/93 octance required for 450rwhp on F/I?

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a DOB kit this spring. I won't be forging the motor so I'm going to be limited to the 450 rwhp. Do I need to run the more expensive 91 octane that I'm currently running on my N/A tune? My gut says I should run higher octane but what's the science say on it. Opinions?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Run the highest you have available if u like keeping the rods and pistons intact

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Well, opinion is yes. I guess you could experiment how well the knock sensors work, or how well the engine runs with 0 degrees of timing.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Why are you installing the supercharger? I assume it is for more power. Power is a result of mixing fuel, compression and timing. You can manipulate any or all of these three requirements in order to affect power output.

Reducing the fuel octane requires reducing timing in order to prevent detonation, which will destroy the engine. So spending thousands on a supercharger only to claim poverty and cheap out on an extra $7 per tank of fuel doesn't make sense (Premium is 60 cents more than regular, fill up takes about 12 gallons). I spend more than that for lunch every day.

You can dial back the boost, dial back the timing and run a tune that will be safe on 87 octane but you aren't going to get a hell of a lot of power. Which then brings us back to the original question of why you installed the supercharger in the first place.

MilehighGS

Reaction score
Once you start experiencing when boost hits, you won't want to keep power at 450 and you'll kick yourself for even thinking of 87 octane.
I kinda said the same to myself.....limit power to 450ish..........last dyno was 485/497 to the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.....at 5200 ft..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a DOB kit this spring. I won't be forging the motor so I'm going to be limited to the 450 rwhp. Do I need to run the more expensive 91 octane that I'm currently running on my N/A tune? My gut says I should run higher octane but what's the science say on it. Opinions?

Haha, you’re kidding right?

Not forging the bottom end. Definitely run the higher octane. At least you don’t have to pay $7.99/gal for 100 octane.

zoomerman46

forum member
Reaction score
So, if you want to run 450RWHP, at least three things need to happen
you need air, fuel and timing.If anyone one of these are missing, I don't believe you will get to 450 with a 91 tune. Run the highest octane available in your location. What size injectors are you using? Minimum would be 39lbs. I would run a 93 tune to put more timing over the 91 tune which translate into more power.

I am running a Saleen Series VI SC ,95mm maf, 39lb injectors and a 93 tune.Put down 450 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Run smaller pulleys and smaller injectors before this current setup and could only make around 365 rwhp.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score

Wut. You should run high octane on the stock motor

07 Boss

Reaction score
So, if you want to run 450RWHP, at least three things need to happen
you need air, fuel and timing.If anyone one of these are missing, I don't believe you will get to 450 with a 91 tune. Run the highest octane available in your location. What size injectors are you using? Minimum would be 39lbs. I would run a 93 tune to put more timing over the 91 tune which translate into more power.

I am running a Saleen Series VI SC ,95mm maf, 39lb injectors and a 93 tune.Put down 450 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Run smaller pulleys and smaller injectors before this current setup and could only make around 365 rwhp.

485rwhp on 91 and 11 lbs of boost. We were up just past 500 but turned it down for longevity. 32# or 34# injectors. I can’t remember.

Someguy

Reaction score
I have 480-490rwhp at factory redline (520 if I set the rev limiter higher), running 91 octane tune on stock internals. I would never run any lower octane on a boosted engine. That's asking for disaster

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back