Is it Totaled?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's totaled, bud. Here's what happened to my 2008 and it was declared a total loss -

12EAE604-F9AD-4969-BE75-7CAC7B030D24_zps9bfs5kvt.jpg

337DA2DC-13A6-4799-87E5-06319943C254_zpsihhinjr8.jpg

D285BA08-A743-4B1D-9040-AEA5B6E4AFAC_zpsr1rvaiqs.jpg

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
My ex claimed it was the "Hawaiian Girl on the dash"'s fault. Oddly enough, it's the only car I've had it in and the only car I've ever been in any kind of accident in....

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
^ That seems like sound superstition to me. I wouldn't temp it.

both accidents i have been in, the artist "the weeknd" was playing. i never let that music play in my car again

sorry about the car man, definitely part it out. plenty of money to be made

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
My nephew is a police officer. I asked him the same question. They can't without a court order.
An officer can always ask for consent to look at the driver's phone.

However, If the person refuses then a search warrant would be necessary. BUT the officer cannot get a search warrant without specific facts to believe the driver was texting while driving. The mere fact of an accident isn't enough to get a search warrant. If you saw the driver texting right before she rear ended you then that is a fact that can go in a warrant application. Or if the lady had a passenger that made a statement that the driver was texting... Or if the lady made some admissions to texting.... Etc.. It has to be specific articulated facts to get a warrant.

But here's the thing.... Who cares... In rear end accidents it is almost always the fault of the car in the back... So what if they were texting... They are still at fault. Does it matter if they were texting, changing the radio station, picking their nose, eating a banana, etc. They weren't paying attention, or were following too closely, and rear ended you. The liability is the same no matter what.

The only way it is not their fault is in a road rage situation where the driver in front does a brake check. If you do a brake check and the car following you rear ends you that's your fault. Yes they were flowing too close, but you slammed on your brakes.... Intentionally... If that causes an accident then it's the brake checker that is at fault.

Sorry about the stang... Made me cringe looking at it.

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was not a daily driver either. I have it insured with Grundy at a state value. The issue is the lady that hit the car is insured by Allstate. We will see how it works out.

the car is easily totaled.
I have been a body man for over 30 years. Allstate is one of the worst insurance companies I have ever dealt with.
every state the rules covering insurance is different so some of my comments could be wrong.
as others posted I would suggest buying the car back from the insurance company. they usually determine the buyback price by percentages, if it's totaled at 70% of retail value your buyback price would be the 30%.
I would also suggest towing the car back to your house or somewhere secure and you won't have storage fees asap. storage charges add up fast, if you buy the car back you are responsible for paying the storage charges.
as others have posted after buying the car back you can sell the mods and turn a little profit in the end.
I would suggest settling with Grundy because their claims process is fair and really fast.
Grundy will deal with the Allstate mess and after they are done the accident shouldn't cause your rates to go up because the accident wasn't your fault. Allstate will eventually pay out to Grundy to cover everything so it won't cost them anything so it won't be a black spot on your insurance record.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
I have spoken to both claim departments and what will happen is that Grundy will pay me the agreed value. Then go after Allstate for the actual cash value of the car. I would like to buy it back but 30% maybe to high to make my money back. We will see how it all works out.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
in my opinion letting Grundy handle the payout to you will work out best and will be the fastest way to get the $$$ you should get.
in my experiences Allstate would rather low ball and litigate before paying you what you deserve.
I just threw out some hypothetical #'s on the total.
the person handling your claim can tell you the buy back price.
on current model and 1 year old car most insurance co will total at 60% of value. the older it is the higher percentage gets. my guess your buyback number will be around 10- 15% of value.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1) Pull as many mods as you can (items that can be resold).
2) Contact your insurance company to negotiate with her insurance company. You have the coverage regardless, Grundy and Allstate can argue over who pays how much.

I totaled my '09 Bullitt two and a half years ago. I had close to $75K dumped into that car. I ended up buying it back from the insurance company and I parted it out. But it never left my possession, I had it towed to my house and pushed it into the garage long before the insurance company adjuster contacted me.

This is how I did it. When I got into the accident with the 2005, my wife had it towed back to the house while I took the ambulance ride to the hospital. Then the adjuster totaled the car, I bought it back for literally pennies on the dollar, then I proceeded to strip the car of anything I could sell to easily recover the cost+put mods on new car, which was a 2006, which is the car I have today.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
Both claims guys came out today to look at the car. When I talked to Allstate last week they told me they were only going to give me actual cash value and that is it. They said to make a claim with my insurance company to get the agreed value and then they would sue Allstate to get actual cash value. So I let Grundy know and they were going to look at the car too. Allstate should not have gone out to look at the car today after they told me to make a claim with Grundy.

I have not gotten any news for Grundy but Allstate threw me a curve ball. I am expecting the car to be totaled. He tells us that since the car is so nice and has a lot of money in upgrades that they want to try and fix the car. He bumped their offer by $10K to try and fix the car. He worked on the claim for 2 hours at the body shop. He found a 2008 Shelby GT that has been wrecked in the front. They want to back half the car. I am not sure I want that done. Do I have any say in this matter? If it is not done right I could end up with a piece of crap.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Keep in mind there's a big difference between 'fixed' and 'fully compensated for your loss'. Sure, they can fix it but it will never be worth what it was before the wreck. A major repair like that will be a huge hit on your value if you ever sold or traded it.

On the other hand if it's done right you could drive it for many years without any problems.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
You might also inquire about whether you can be compensated for "diminished value" not all states allow this kind of coverage... But basically, they would fix the car and give you some cash to offset the lower value of the car having been repaired. Kind of a third option for you... Get it fixed and pocket some cash to offset a lower selling price in the future.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Definitely totaled. But do as others say and get it to your house and start pulling off mods in favor of stock parts. Start a For Sale thread or trade for stock parts, you have plenty of mods that can be swapped for stock stuff and money pocketed before the final appraisal even goes out.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
How much you want for that roush spoiler? I don't think you need it anymore.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
Let me take it off to make sure it is all good. I am getting the car back today, I will let you know soon.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know what anyone else is interested in, I will begin the tear down this weekend. I will be setting up a separate thread for the part out.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Let me know what anyone else is interested in, I will begin the tear down this weekend. I will be setting up a separate thread for the part out.

Dang I have my eye on some parts, let me know when you start removing things. PM or text me. Thanks!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back