Is there a DIY engine removal?

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I'm helping my brother with a motor swap and we are having a hard time with a few things. Not sure if we just don't have the right tool but can't seem to get the power steering pump out. Also what is the proper way to remove the AC? Those seem to be the only two things slowing us up everything else is unplugged and out of the way.

Any input, trick of the trade, help of tip is welcome as this is my first time to pull a motor out of a S197.

Also I remember reading that dropping them out of the bottom is the way to go.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Try to leave the AC system closed and intact, just secure it out of your way as much as possible. I did my motor swap at my buddy's shop and he has the freon pump machine to draw out the coolant and recharge, so I did it that way. You need the special line tool to uncouple the lines.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Try to leave the AC system closed and intact, just secure it out of your way as much as possible. I did my motor swap at my buddy's shop and he has the freon pump machine to draw out the coolant and recharge, so I did it that way. You need the special line tool to uncouple the lines.

ok... I think I have a buddy with a freon pump. I might need to give him a call.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
why not just unbolt it from the block and zip tie it to the chassis. Same with the power steering pump. Absolutely no need to open either of those systems.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I'm helping my brother with a motor swap and we are having a hard time with a few things. Not sure if we just don't have the right tool but can't seem to get the power steering pump out. Also what is the proper way to remove the AC? Those seem to be the only two things slowing us up everything else is unplugged and out of the way.

Any input, trick of the trade, help of tip is welcome as this is my first time to pull a motor out of a S197.

Also I remember reading that dropping them out of the bottom is the way to go.

If you have access to a lift, that is the way to do it. I used a lift at my BIL's shop and it took less than 4hrs to drop the k-member, uncouple the tranny , put the engine on a pallet, reinstall the k-member and load car back on trailer.

And like 05gtowner posted, you don't need to unhook the AC or PS, there's plenty of room to just unbolt the pumps and get them out of the way.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I have two lifts so that's not a problem. Just having a hard time finding how to get a wrench on that power steering pump. I sure don't want to strip it.

scarlett98

forum member
Reaction score
4 bolts for the power steering pump 13mm top two have 2 10mm nuts for the wiring harness.

Unbolt those and leave the pump in the engine bay.

3 bolts for the a/c compressor leave that in the engine bay.

Pull the fan out undo the motor mount bolts 1 on each side from the top of the engine.

Remove all the wiring harness and tuck it out of the way i usually remove the battery and battery tray. i also remove the intake manifold.

3 starter bolts remove the starter i usually leave that in the engine bay to but you can remove all the way if you want.

remove all the bell housing bolts 3 on the pass side 2 on the driver side and two up top the two up top i usually get from the top after removing the intake manifold.

remove the pcm and bracket for clearence

Drain coolant and oil and you should be able to remove the engine after all that let me know if i missed anything.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
4 bolts for the power steering pump 13mm top two have 2 10mm nuts for the wiring harness.

Unbolt those and leave the pump in the engine bay.

3 bolts for the a/c compressor leave that in the engine bay.

Pull the fan out undo the motor mount bolts 1 on each side from the top of the engine.

Remove all the wiring harness and tuck it out of the way i usually remove the battery and battery tray. i also remove the intake manifold.

3 starter bolts remove the starter i usually leave that in the engine bay to but you can remove all the way if you want.

remove all the bell housing bolts 3 on the pass side 2 on the driver side and two up top the two up top i usually get from the top after removing the intake manifold.

remove the pcm and bracket for clearence

Drain coolant and oil and you should be able to remove the engine after all that let me know if i missed anything.

That's what I'm talking about. Thank you for the info man!!

This is what I'm having trouble getting off the power steering

Almost like I need to pull the pulley to get to it.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Why do you want to remove the hoses? Just remove the entire pump from the block. You don't need to disconnect that hose to pull the motor.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about. Thank you for the info man!!

This is what I'm having trouble getting off the power steering

Almost like I need to pull the pulley to get to it.

Take the 10mm nut off the stud, that will release the bracket. Then you can move it around so you can use an open end wrench on the line without hitting the pulley.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Just trying to make it easier. I can pull the motor from the top with the harness attached to the motor in just over two hours including draining the coolant, removing the intake manifold and removing the starter. It really is quite easy. You should have no problems.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Just trying to make it easier. I can pull the motor from the top with the harness attached to the motor in just over two hours including draining the coolant, removing the intake manifold and removing the starter. It really is quite easy. You should have no problems.

no no man thank you. I think I was making things harder than they need to be. I'm hoping to get back under this thing tomorrow or Sunday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back