Is this a rear gear whine?

cdenigris

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if this is a gear whine sound. Watch this video I made and let me know what you think.

YouTube video

Rich

Reaction score
It's the gears. A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up. They were not installed properly and now they have "worn in" to the pattern. You cannot fix this, the ring and pinion have to be replaced and you will need to verify that the following are within spec of the gears you choose:
Pinion bearing preload
Pinion depth
Backlash
Wear pattern using gear marking compound

If it whines as soon as you accelerate and gets louder as you go faster, then it's a bad pinion bearing. I would not keep driving on a bad pinion bearing because it can seize and tear up the drivetrain.

You can still drive with it as long as the noise doesn't bother you (if it's not the pinion bearing), but in the video it sounds like they weren't installed correctly and after so many miles od driving they have "worn in" improperly.

gbstang

Reaction score
I don't think its a gear whine, it would always be present though the whine would be faint and increase at speed. since it came on at 45 I would think it is the transmission.

Rest your hand on the T-handle and see if you feel it in the shifter when you hit 45..

David Young

Reaction score
Well, It's been a long time. You posted this problem on a lot of Mustang Forums. Was it gear whine or not? My 3.73 gears whine a little but I like it :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back