JBA vs. Hooker headers?

I

ISI_Stang06

I was wondering which brand of headers you guys would recommend over the other. there the only 2 brands im interested cause of the price.

1. do they hang to low?
2. is there and x-pipe that fits with JBA cause i want to go o/r.
3. is there any problem installing them?
4. and most important, is it okay to run them without using a tune for a while?

thanks guys

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Welcome to S197 Forum :bigbeer:.

I have the shorty JBA's, and it looks like your talking about long tubes. With any header install, plan on making it a day of it, take your time and have a beer. Getting to the 02 sensor's can be a PITA, but the biggest problem we had was getting the bolts out and in.
You won't need to re-tune your car for headers.
GOOD LUCK.

Ed

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JBA only has H-Pipes
They don't hang below the framerails.
55887L.JPG

55886L.JPG

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I have heard good stuff about JBA, not so much about Hooker though.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have hookers on mine and there is a small leak in the gasket on the drivers side, but that's probably because I didn't exactly torque it like i was supposed to, didn't put in locking bolts, and didn't put silicone on anything. I have locking bolts and silicone and a new gasket that i'd like to put in... just gotta find the time and borrow the tools :)

Other than that, they are fine

I

ISI_Stang06

i was thinking of the hookers because they are so much cheaper. but ive never really heard anything bout them from anyone. but i think its best i go with jba, ive heard nothing but good things bout them.

how long has it taken you guys to install them?
can any x-pipe go with them?

and thanks for the welcome guys. glad to be a part of this website

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have hookers. also gt4dino they seem fine to me.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used the stock h-pipe with mine after slight modification (cut the cats off). Spyder did the same thing and suggested it to me, and it was easy to do.

If I had the experience of installing the headers before I put mine on, I'd say a good 3+ hours would have been shaved off the time. But since I didn't, it took around 7-8 hours in a garage on jack stands with hand tools.

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
Took about 8 hours the first time out. I could probably do it in about 4 if I did it again. I have the hookers, and they are just fine - the'll mate up the OEM h-pipe too if you don't plan on using the cats.

Little tip - don't worry about taking the steering shaft off, major PITA. I wrestled with it for an hour and couldn't get it to budge. Finally I put a 2x4 under the oil pan with the jack supporting the engine, and removed the motor mount plates. Much easier than the steering shaft, and gives you more room to slip in the headers.

While you're in there, replace the motor mounts too. Only a couple of bucks, and easy to do. If you don't, you may have an issue with on of the primaries hitting the steering shaft during hard cornering under acceleration.

Good luck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back