Kaboom! Another one down

svanur

Reaction score
Sorry to see
Mine did the same a few years back and enden up being a burnt a hole in piston #4 . Bought a new sleeve from LA sleeve and resleeved cyl.New piston and rod and back on the road. After this i have never used thoses autolite type plugs again. Have had them melt before that happend on few different cyl but with out any further damage. Now using brisk with out any issues.

E9C3B822-C344-4B0E-AAF4-9CB31DD06A9C.jpeg

FADB262E-A429-4452-B4AD-81BAC2388CD0.jpeg

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to see
Mine did the same a few years back and enden up being a burnt a hole in piston #4 . Bought a new sleeve from LA sleeve and resleeved cyl.New piston and rod and back on the road. After this i have never used thoses autolite type plugs again. Have had them melt before that happend on few different cyl but with out any further damage. Now using brisk with out any issues.
I have never dealt with a sleeved engine before - can you resleeve the cylinder without the aid of a machine shop? Or is it pressed in?

Flusher

Reaction score
And the block has to be bored oversize before the sleeve can be pressed in.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see

View attachment 74027

View attachment 74028
Did you go with a flanged sleeve or a regular sleeve? I'll slowly tear it down as this is not the best time to be spending money. My local track is closed for the whole season due to covid so I might as well take my time with it.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not going backward to an iron block unless it is a boss block.
The aluminum blocks are getting hard to come by and with being in Canada, it is a lot cheaper and easier to get a sleeve shipped here than a whole block.
A new block will need close to a grand in machine work to work with my existing gear anyways so sleeving is not that bad of an option.

svanur

Reaction score
Did you go with a flanged sleeve or a regular sleeve? I'll slowly tear it down as this is not the best time to be spending money. My local track is closed for the whole season due to covid so I might as well take my time with it.

I went with straight sleeve P/N LA-3820 which cost $110 and it was installed and honed by a local machine shop which did not cost all that much. My setup is 302 stroker with Vortech V3 & Nos and not had any issues with engine since this was performed back in 2016 and plenty of 1/4 passes

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with straight sleeve P/N LA-3820 which cost $110 and it was installed and honed by a local machine shop which did not cost all that much. My setup is 302 stroker with Vortech V3 & Nos and not had any issues with engine since this was performed back in 2016 and plenty of 1/4 passes
Perfect, the shop I use says that they have sleeved lots of engines and have the gear to do everything from straight sleeves to the Darton MID sleeves.
Good to have this option.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with sleeves.
I dont want to be captn obvious, but an aluminum block must have sleeves to begin with. Chevy didnt think so with the Vega....

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the Mustang 3V aluminum blocks came from the factory with pressed in steel cylinder liners.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the Mustang 3V aluminum blocks came from the factory with pressed in steel cylinder liners.
Yes, you need something more durable than aluminum for the rings to seal against. The WAP plant blocks have a thick aluminum wall outside of the iron liner so that is why the 3v is a very tough block. The Iron 4.6 blocks do not have near as much material in the cylinder walls. This is why I'd prefer to save this block if it only has damage to the one cylinder.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I thought the aluminum 4.6 3V blocks had the iron liners cast in when pored. I also thought they had siamese cylinders.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're right, they are cast in when pouring the block as that is much cheaper for production.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You're right, they are cast in when pouring the block as that is much cheaper for production.

This process also reduces the risk of the liners becoming detached from the block and shifting if the engine overheats.
The cylinders are indeed siamesed, making them more stable and reducing the risk of distortion and core shift. The 3V block is tough enough to handle 1000hp right out of the box so it's definitely worth sleeving the one damaged cylinder. Just find a machine shop that's familiar with sleeving aluminum blocks 'cause the process may be slightly different to sleeving an iron block (different expansion rates).

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My brother has a bare Teksid block if you want to go king daddy. I know you are on the other side of the continent and in Canada, but I bet it could be shipped without too much trouble. They only weigh like 83 pounds (just under 38 kg) or something like that.

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Looks kinda like detonation damage. Looks like your intake manifold gaskets were getting very close to leaking as well. Maybe that cylinder has been running lean for awhile.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back