Kaboom! Another one down

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by RED09GT, Jul 30, 2020.

1. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

Well, this sucks.

I was out of town for work and during one evening, I was out playing with the car and lost traction at about 6000rpms in 2nd and the motor zinged up and tagged the limiter at 7000 rpms. Big loud pop and the car ran like crap and the CEL was flashing.

It stayed running so I kept driving until there was a safe spot to pull off the highway. The car felt very weak and needed a fair bit of throttle to get going so I flatbedded it back to the place I stay at while at work.
    I brought my ST, a trailer, and some tools to rescue it. I pulled all the plugs and all looked great until I got to #8 The insulator is gone and the ground strap is broken. There are some small rounded balls of slag so it at least partially melted. I attempted to put in a new plug and started it up. The idle is rough and if you try and rev it up, there is a definite miss/warbling sound to the motor. Shut it down and I'm putting it onto the trailer and heading home with it after work.

Wish me luck, makes me feel queasy when I think of all the things that are probably damaged.

IMG_20200729_222854.jpg

RedMosesSC likes this.
  2. weather man

weather man Persistance Is A Bitch S197 Team Member

Ouch!

3. MrAwesome987

MrAwesome987 forum member

Hate to hear that... Good luck!

4. Silver'nStripes

Silver'nStripes Member

Yikes. Fingers crossed for no holes in anything. No cloud of smoke or anything? Hopefully that's a good sign.

5. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

You floated a valve, piston hit the valve head, broke it off the stem, and valve head took out the plug tip. Do compression test on all cylinders.

6. RED09GT

There was some black smoke (and a fireball, I thought that was mostly just from the WOT box). It smelled like raw fuel as I don't imagine that plug could fire like that.
    I ordered a borescope on Amazon that will be here on Saturday. Im the meantime, I'll pull the turbo to make sure the spark plug parts didn't damage the turbine wheel and pull the valvecover and intake and see wha I can see from the top.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  7. RED09GT

I don't think I'll even turn it over until I look down it with the borescope. The #8 cylinder is definitely ventilated in some way, shape, or form.

8. Silver'nStripes

Silver'nStripes Member

Yeesh. Good luck. These things are a lot of fun 'till they pop....

9. Sactown

Sactown Sactown

that sucks, reminds me of when the number 7 piston melted due to a lean condition cause by a dirt injector, car still ran but boy did it smoke.

10. dark steed

dark steed Resident noob

Yikes, hope it’s just minimal damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. WNYGT5-0

WNYGT5-0 Member

Offensive Pass interference, 15 yard penalty. Repeat 3rd down.
    42E336AD-8D86-4C9E-A510-E812B1C580F3.jpeg
    Man, I’ve been there. Without a borescope, I pulled the intake. With the intake pulled I could see clear as day how fucked I was With a slow roll of the HB.
    3A26C645-1B1D-4618-86AB-CEFAC4133BE8.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  12. dark steed

dark steed Resident noob

Well, actually Pass Interference is an automatic 1st down...
    Just sayin lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNYGT5-0 likes this.
  13. WNYGT5-0

WNYGT5-0 Member

Fixed lol

dark steed likes this.
  14. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

This reminded me of my broken valve spring saga on my '07 Charger R/T .... Yeah that sucked.

Looking forward to updates, hope it's not too bad for ya

15. RED09GT

What I can see so far is that both intake valves and the exhaust valve are in tact, the cam and rockers look good as well.
    Now for the bad: The borescope shows that the piston is damaged as you can see the indentation from the broken insulator and one edge of the piston is partially melted. The cylinder wall looks pretty scratched up in that area as well.
    The motor is already a 0.020" overbore so I'll have to get it apart and talk over options with the machine shop.
    Who knows how bad the head will be, I'm going to try and manoeuver the borescope to get a better look at the combustion chamber.

16. RED09GT

IMG_20200801_161109.jpg
    The mark on the left looks to be from part of the insulator as you can see where the electrode would have been.

IMG_20200801_161038.jpg

Looks like a crack in the piston as well.
    Shit

17. RED09GT

Got the camera turned upside down in the cylinder and the head looks like it has a couple small knicks but looks very good. Might get away with a piston and a sleeve, fingers crossed.

18. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

That last picture seems to show ringland damage

19. RED09GT

The ringlands are melted on that piston for sure, it went full plastic so it got hot. Looks like the single nozzle for my water meth kit isn't getting much flow to the back cylinders.
    With a cast or hypereutectic piston, it would be in pieces and the block would be ready to be made into a coffee table.
    Diamond no longer makes those pistons so I'll have to do some searching to find one.

20. Hawgman

Hawgman THE fucking bad guy Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

Damn, that sucks. At least it seems to be minimal all things considered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.