Kooks LT header install: hardware question...

Phil1098

Reaction score
The ones I had the most difficulty with was the bottom front passenger side one since it's right against the AC compressor, and the bottom rear driver's side one...had to get creative there as the header tube and everything else blocks it from most angles. The rest were pretty easy.

I can get to all the passenger side fairly easily. I do remove the battery and tray though. I could get every one of those good and snug.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Oh man, you guys weren't joking. I have spent three hours on my back and I cannot even get the H-pipe off due to how rusted the bolts/nuts are on the manifolds. It might call for air tools and a torch, neither of which I have.
Also, that upper O2 on the passenger side. WTF?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Quick hide the babies before he starts punching them

Phil1098

Reaction score
Oh man, you guys weren't joking. I have spent three hours on my back and I cannot even get the H-pipe off due to how rusted the bolts/nuts are on the manifolds. It might call for air tools and a torch, neither of which I have.
Also, that upper O2 on the passenger side. WTF?

This is not good news, I had my H pipe off in 15 minutes, that was the easy part and I didn't have any issue with the O2 sensors either. I did have to unbolt the A/C compressor, and I unbolted and moved the rack forward for the steering shaft. Wait until the headers are on and you put in the top inside starter bolt. At that point you will invent words.:whistle1:

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
The good news is that after some more PB Blaster and creative use of ratchet extensions, I did get all of the required nuts off for H-pipe removal. But.... I am finished and the headers are not installed. :tdown:

You guys are better men than me. After banging with a mallet and using a massive pry bar for an hour, I could not get he H-pipe and the clamps apart from the cat back. It is going to require heat. And that was supposed to be the easy part, haha. Ohhhhh defeat.

My time is too valuable to waste anymore on it. On the plus side I now have a killer set of ramps that I built, my garage has never been cleaner or more organized.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Honestly I just about gave up after my first time trying to install my JBA's...about 8 hours in I was having fitment issues and a couple bolts that wouldn't grab. On the H pipe manifold I sprayed the crap out of them with P-Blaster and let them soak, waited 15 mins, resprayed, another 15 mins and resprayed. A compact impact gun saved me from some busted knuckles. At the very least you'll quickly learn how to maneuver and in the future...this 8 hour job could take half as long provided you manage to solve the H-Pipe to catback issue.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I'm curious to know. Mine came with exactly 16 clips, 16 long tabs or tangs or whatever you want to call them, and 16 short tabs which I didn't even use.

Yep, I went back and looked at my spare parts. Mine came with the same thing.
Fail!

Sent from iPhone

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
The good news is that after some more PB Blaster and creative use of ratchet extensions, I did get all of the required nuts off for H-pipe removal. But.... I am finished and the headers are not installed. :tdown:

You guys are better men than me. After banging with a mallet and using a massive pry bar for an hour, I could not get he H-pipe and the clamps apart from the cat back. It is going to require heat. And that was supposed to be the easy part, haha. Ohhhhh defeat.

My time is too valuable to waste anymore on it. On the plus side I now have a killer set of ramps that I built, my garage has never been cleaner or more organized.

I had the same problem doing my ORH with getting the bolts off the manifold. Finally took almost stripping the bolt and a lot of WD40 to get them to break.

Your H to cat back issue though is unique to me. You unhooked the tabs that holds it together right? Once you undo the clamp, there's still a length of steel from the ORH that creates like a hook that goes to the catback section. I unhooked that and then think I wiggled it up and down and it came free almost immediately.

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
I have installed Kooks and ARH long tubes on my car. In both instances, I used grade 8 bolts and new OEM gaskets. I will echo what everyone else has said. Have patience. This install takes quite a while to do by yourself. I found it beneficial to have a friend over who was somewhat mechanically inclined and who had small hands. My mitts had some trouble getting where he could get without issue.

black N boosted

Boosted
Reaction score
Ever finish up the install? I see your in bucks county, I am as well if ur not far let me know if u need a hand! I've taken the stock storties off twice

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
This is not good news, I had my H pipe off in 15 minutes, that was the easy part and I didn't have any issue with the O2 sensors either. I did have to unbolt the A/C compressor, and I unbolted and moved the rack forward for the steering shaft. Wait until the headers are on and you put in the top inside starter bolt. At that point you will invent words.:whistle1:

That top starter bolt was a pain too. I found that if you have your ad compressor unbolted then using 1 or 2 long extensions from the front of the motor all the way to the back makes it cake. The headers I have done both with the motor in the car and out. If I ever had to do it again the kmember is coming out and I would lower the motor. That is way easier.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That was one thing I liked about the JBA's, you can reinstall the top starter bolt from the engine bay with a 1/4" ratchet. It was easier to reinstall than it was to remove.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Ever finish up the install? I see your in bucks county, I am as well if ur not far let me know if u need a hand! I've taken the stock storties off twice

I didn't finish the install. I decided that it simply was not worth it to be laying on my back wasting any more time than I already did. I have priced out the install from several local shops, but I am debating on cutting my losses and putting the money towards a supercharger. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I do greatly appreciate your offer to lend a helping hand though!

black N boosted

Boosted
Reaction score
I didn't finish the install. I decided that it simply was not worth it to be laying on my back wasting any more time than I already did. I have priced out the install from several local shops, but I am debating on cutting my losses and putting the money towards a supercharger. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I do greatly appreciate your offer to lend a helping hand though!

No worries, just figured since I was close by.. Yea a supercharger is a fun choice, what kind are you looking at?

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
I am looking for a used blower so i don't necessarily have a preference. I have my eye on each a Paxton and Whipple at the moment. Trying to first sell some parts out of the garage to free up some cash.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Getting the Kook's installed this weekend.
As a side note, out of respect for my neighbors, I am going on a search for a quieter cat-back as the FRPP Stingers are already a bit aggressive.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Getting the Kook's installed this weekend.
As a side note, out of respect for my neighbors, I am going on a search for a quieter cat-back as the FRPP Stingers are already a bit aggressive.

If this helps I have some MBRP stainless mufflers with 3 miles on them. Yes 3 miles, my car is just a weekend fun car and so my obnoxious FR500 mufflers are what I like. I was going to sell them last May, but never listed them. They are still in the box.

Attachments

• phil pics 547.jpg
    phil pics 547.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 10

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had MBRP's for awhile, I never considered them quiet...I think they're almost identical to the stingers.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Headers are in and volume increased only slightly during normal driving. From 2k-3k rpms, it does sound louder and meaner, but not annoyingly so. The stock H-pipe actually looks like it offers decent flow (especially compared to the old fox-body pipes I was used to,) and I have to assume that volume is not much louder due to my X-pipe having cats.

I may throw the stock mufflers on just to listen to the difference vs the stingers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back