Let's talk cams.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
My 06 is my daily driver and will be for quite a while, but I want to do some fun mods to it to make it even more enjoyable. Since the basics are already taken care of (intake, tune, OR Prochamber and SLP catback) springs will be next, after that I want to do cams.

I'm not looking for that MONSTER power producing cam that creates issues with driveability, but I would like a great sounding idle. I know FRPP does this, but how are the performance gains? Would I be better off going with CompCams? One requirement I have for the cams is they must be "drop in" like the Hot Rods. No springs, no phaser limiter kit, etc. Just cams, sprocket bolts, and done.

What is my best option in terms of power, sound, and driveability here? If there are any cams out there that are worth mentioning aside from Comp and FRPP, please let me know. Ideally, I will get picking up some 4.10s as well. The car made 286rwhp without a tune (using C&L Street intake) so I'm hoping that with the tune from Bama and cams I can make it up to 315-320rwhp.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Hot Rod cams for sure. No phaser limiters or lockouts needed. Sounds sick and makes good power. Mine made 331/331 with stock intake manifold and exhaust manifolds

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome! That's what I want to hear. I'm looking on Google and a lot of people seemed to be disappointed with their dyno results using the HotRods. Though, most threads are from 09 or so.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dont waste your money. By the time you buy them, pay for labor to install them, then pay for a tune, its not worth the performance gains, imo..My advice is to find a used M-90 or something like that that is easy to install, you can get a canned tune for it, have much more power than just cams and be completely fine as a DD...​

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Dont waste your money. By the time you buy them, pay for labor to install them, then pay for a tune, its not worth the performance gains, imo..My advice is to find a used M-90 or something like that that is easy to install, you can get a canned tune for it, have much more power than just cams and be completely fine as a DD...​

I have a friend who is going to help me install. He's done it numerous times. I'll only be out $100 and a 6 pack of beer. I'll be using AM for the tune so I'm not out anything there. Eventually, I would love to add a blower but cams hit home with me. I really miss the feel of driving a cammed car, even though mine was only a V6.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I only had 1100 or so into mine... thats not really comparable to a supercharger price at all.

Also that is including cams, tune, tuner, and cam bolts

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Awesome! That's what I want to hear. I'm looking on Google and a lot of people seemed to be disappointed with their dyno results using the HotRods. Though, most threads are from 09 or so.

I don't think you will make much power with a am tune. Hot Rods can make about 30 extra rwhp but the tuner has to tune for them. FRPP now puts the cam retard tune info right in the instructions so more people are making power with them nowadays.

FRPP link to the install directions.

http://fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6550-3V.pdf

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My numbers were with a Bama tune

We have had this discussion before. The am tuned car I saw made 300rwhp with hot rods and o/r pipe. A/f was 12.5 and spark was 27 degrees. It was super safe. It was also very driveable. This was less than a year ago.

How old are your numbers? I think something changed when they started to offer warranties. Louies car could of been a fluke too but iirc he had it retuned and made 330.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
This was June of 2012. Full mods were: underdrive pullies, or x, axlebacks, CAI, cams, and the tune. It made 331/331. That car you say may have just been a Friday built car LOL. My car has always made good numbers for the mods.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This was June of 2012. Full mods were: underdrive pullies, or x, axlebacks, CAI, cams, and the tune. It made 331/331. That car you say may have just been a Friday built car LOL. My car has always made good numbers for the mods.

And your car might be 310 on another dyno. The numbers really dont matter a whole lot if you are not tuning on the same dyno in roughly the same weather. Dont compare car A. with car B. if they arent on the same dyno, let alone a dynojet vs. a mustang dyno...The best test is what your trap speed is in the 1/4 mile..

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
If your buddy is able to do cams then why not opt for a cam that requires springs and phasers, make 340-350 hp, it might cost you a case of beer.

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have hot rods in my 05 and I love them. I will be taking them out very soon though to help fund my supercharger build. If you're interested in buying mine and saving some cash, we can work something out. Lol. They only have about 3k miles on them.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like my hotrods and will miss them when I install the turbo cams.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
One company for 3V cams that gets over looked is Lunati. Only thing is it looks like they make only one cam that is nsr and no mod to the phasers. If you are willing to mod the phasers their line up gets much bigger. Thier 58000 cam is the nsr/no phaser mod. I have not found any other 3v 4.6L running Lunati but me. I love my 58006 Lunati cams!

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
And your car might be 310 on another dyno. The numbers really dont matter a whole lot if you are not tuning on the same dyno in roughly the same weather. Dont compare car A. with car B. if they arent on the same dyno, let alone a dynojet vs. a mustang dyno...The best test is what your trap speed is in the 1/4 mile..

With full boltons my na hotrod cam gt trapped 108 with 1.90 60ft

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back