Let's talk oil pans and dip sticks

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
So I installed a Canton 15-784 pan and now to get a reading on my dip stick I need 8 quarts of oil.
Called Canton they told me to take the extra quart of oil back out of the car. but then the orginal dip stick is not going to be long enough.

I'm very leary of pulling a quart of oil back out of the car because I won't be able to check the level any more.
So I think I'm going to eat this 300.00 pan and get something else.

What works with the stock dip stick and are you using it with a Canton windage screen? (or do I have to eat that too)

I guess I'll chalk this up to; lesson learned.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but regardless of how much volume you have in the pan, the stock dipstick will still indicate the same oil level relative to the position of the crank, right? The extra oil volume should be below the level indicator on the dipstick. And if the stock oil pump pickup is being used, then removing oil "may" create a situation where the level is below the pickup... which won't be a good thing.

Oh, this may be a dumb question, but are you 100% positive that the dipstick tube is fully seated? That would cause the dipstick to not reach down as far. Also, the dipstick may not be fully inserted into the tube.

I'm running a Moroso pan, which is wider, not deeper than the stock pan. The stock dipstick works no problem. It takes 7 quarts.

Last edited:

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
I'm not really crystal clear on this either. I am 100% sure the tube and dip stick are fully seated and inserted.

The only thing that really changed is I added the canton windage tray which bolts between the pan and the block (sandwiched between them)

I guess I still don't understand how the Stock dip stick could not give me the correct reading.

I even pulled the tube out of the block yesterday (measure the length from where the tube seats in the block to the end of the dip stick) and put a metal coat hanger (measured the same length as the above measurment) down the hole to make sure the dip stick wasn't hitting the pan or windage tray and deflecting in some way. but I felt no contact.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Don;

Did you have to do anything special for the oil temp senator in the moroso pan? I've called Canton 3 times now and everytime I get a different answer.

I swear if I have to pull this thing back apart I'm going to smash the living crap out of this pan and send it back to Canton with a nasty note telling them what I think of there oil pan.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Back