Livernois 5.0L Coyote Development Photos

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
The new boss intake is supposed to allow for a 8300RPM redline, I wouldn't trade 2000RPM for 1.2 liters of displacement.

Besides, wait until someone decides to stroke these things :)

Sceviours197

Reaction score
im thinking that 550ish will be our limit on the 5.0 rods....anyone that boost this high comp motor should def look into water meth.

this is only my gut feeling talking on the 550ish. i could be way out to lunch. most of the mod motors limit in the past have been mid four's. i'd like livernois input on what they think about these stock rods. as im sure they have a stock 3v rod kicking around. im pretty sure the 5.0 rods are the same length, as per muscle mustang's article. would be nice to have both side by side to get an idea how much more reinforcement is there if any 3v 4.6 vs the new 5.0

the bore spacing, deck height, an conecting rod length, are the same as the 3v. the 5.0 has a 3.623 bore though, followed with 3.653 stroke.

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
And that 2011 rod certainly looks far superior to the 3V rod. Two '11 GT's in the tens already seems to back that up as well (atleast so far).

Really? Cross section looks very similar if not identical. What specifically do you see as superior?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I thought I heard that they were hypernewcrapic like ours.. but forged?? I'm confused

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
The new boss intake is supposed to allow for a 8300RPM redline, I wouldn't trade 2000RPM for 1.2 liters of displacement.

Besides, wait until someone decides to stroke these things :)

these motors CAN NOT be stroked. As is the piston skirts damn near hit the crank.

Kankakee

I dunno.
Reaction score
I think the picture of the 5.0 rod looks beefier because of the odd angle the picture was taken at. If it was straight on like the other one posted it would look different.

06whipple

I know the 6.2 in the mustang is wishful thinking. But man it would be nice to have close to 400 cubic inches...and then slap a 4.0 whipple on top for some serious power. Even better I think they need to come out with a new model ... the GT700 with a 7.0 liter blown motor with 700 horsepower from factory...screw the gas guzzler tax!!!! That would be perfect for a 50th anniversary model!

Redwolf

Reaction score
I know the 6.2 in the mustang is wishful thinking. But man it would be nice to have close to 400 cubic inches...and then slap a 4.0 whipple on top for some serious power. Even better I think they need to come out with a new model ... the GT700 with a 7.0 liter blown motor with 700 horsepower from factory...screw the gas guzzler tax!!!! That would be perfect for a 50th anniversary model!

Ford produced an engine tested by Roush, the Hurricane engine. It was nicknamed the "777" for 7 liters, 700 horsepower, 7k rpm........and this was N/A.

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
Okay then lets get someone making pistons and rods so we can spin these things to 9k with forced induction

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
Well according to this:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1121640

The rods are steel forged, here is the quote:

What makes the brand-new V8 engine powering the 'Stang so potent is how engineers were able to allow the engine to breathe. All-new heads sit atop an all-new aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder sleeves. The wide distance between the heads allows for the intake ports to sit vertically on top of the engine. The engine features four valves per cylinder and twin independent variable valve timing. Tuned stainless steel tubular exhaust headers eliminate the need for aftermarket headers to let the engine breath better. Inside the engine are a forged-steel full counterweight crankshaft and four-bolt main bearings and high-performance pistons and forged steel connecting rods. Peak horsepower is reached at 6,500 rpm. Redline is 7,000 rpm.
Use of aluminum and composite materials in the engine lowered the V8's mass to just 430 lbs, some 20 percent lighter than the previous 5.0-liter engine.

I'm finding more too:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...stang-gt-debuts-with-412-hp-5-0-liter-v8.html

Valve diameter/lift (mm) Intake: 37/12; Exhaust: 31/11
Pistons Cast aluminum
Connecting rods Forged steel
Ignition High-energy coil-on-plug

http://www.carthrottle.com/2011-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-full-details/

"stout four-bolt main crank (that’s counterbalanced) spinning a set of forged rods."

Then I read about forged powder metal rods on 15 other sites.

So which is it and how does that affect us?

Jeff

Sceviours197

Reaction score
Well according to this:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1121640

The rods are steel forged, here is the quote:

What makes the brand-new V8 engine powering the 'Stang so potent is how engineers were able to allow the engine to breathe. All-new heads sit atop an all-new aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder sleeves. The wide distance between the heads allows for the intake ports to sit vertically on top of the engine. The engine features four valves per cylinder and twin independent variable valve timing. Tuned stainless steel tubular exhaust headers eliminate the need for aftermarket headers to let the engine breath better. Inside the engine are a forged-steel full counterweight crankshaft and four-bolt main bearings and high-performance pistons and forged steel connecting rods. Peak horsepower is reached at 6,500 rpm. Redline is 7,000 rpm.
Use of aluminum and composite materials in the engine lowered the V8's mass to just 430 lbs, some 20 percent lighter than the previous 5.0-liter engine.

I'm finding more too:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...stang-gt-debuts-with-412-hp-5-0-liter-v8.html

Valve diameter/lift (mm) Intake: 37/12; Exhaust: 31/11
Pistons Cast aluminum
Connecting rods Forged steel
Ignition High-energy coil-on-plug

http://www.carthrottle.com/2011-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-full-details/

"stout four-bolt main crank (that’s counterbalanced) spinning a set of forged rods."

Then I read about forged powder metal rods on 15 other sites.

So which is it and how does that affect us?

Jeff
imho i'll take the word fomr the article in 5.0 mustang mag, as they sat down with ford officals to write the article

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Livernoris has both new and old rods just sitting.. why cant they test it for us? =-)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back