Looking for opinions / advise - forged short block options

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I found this engine which is semi-local (2 hours away)

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Forged-Internals-Never-Run-W0QQAdIdZ476013592

I like that its 9.3:1 for compression and forged. I can get this engine for $2800. My local Mustang shop has a 9.8:1 Aluminator that I could buy for $4100. I think the engine components are quality, JE, Manley and ARP have a good name.

What questions should I ask before I get too excited about this deal.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ask for the build sheet. IIRC Campbell builds good motors

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's an explorer block. 3L2E. IIRC a Mustang block is 3L1E. It will still work but you will need to plug a hole in your front cover and add a little more rtv in one place.

Ask what the piston to bore clearance was set to. With those 2618 pistons it should be .003-.0035". What rod bolts? ARP is mentioned but which ones? They should be 8740 or 2000. ARP 2000 are preferred. What bearings were used and what clearances were they set to, stock?

Check side rod clearance yourself. IIRC Ford specs from .006 to .019". Sometimes builders set the motor up for more, especially if it's being build with a high viscosity oil in mind. You can also check endplay with a magnetic base dial indicator. Ask if the block was decked and if so to what ra finish? Check the deck straightness with a straight edge and feeler gauges. There should not be more than .001" gap anywhere. You need a quality straight edge to do this. Measure the distance from the deck surface to the tops of the pistons at tdc.

That's the stuff off the top of my head. If the side rod clearance is greater than .019" and the bearing clearances are larger than stock ask what oil the builder had in mind and keep in mind it will be a good idea to lock out the phasers and go with billet gears in the oil pump.

Motor specs are here:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=158&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable motor people will add in anything I've forgotten, overlooked, or gotten wrong.

Edit: Like Dave said about Campbell, I've heard that name mentioned with mod motors before

Last edited:

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Couple things I noticed. As Bruce said, it is not an 05 block

Main side bolts are not ARP.
Crank and windage tray are rusty.......what do the rods and piston pins look like?
Front cover dowel pins are missing....not a big deal but they are a bear to get out
Motor to Trans dowels are not there either.

Make sure the crank is 8 bolt.

The block machining date is stamped in the front of the block by the Water pump.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you Dave and thank you Bruce. I will ask for the build sheet. That may begin to answer some if the questions that you have suggested Bruce. I may be out my element checking these things myself, but I can either learn or bring a tech friend ( I'm an advisor at a Ford store)

I think if everything checks out this engine would be a viable alternative to the Aluminator.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you 05moneypit. I'm glad you guys can tell all this from pictures.

Lots of questions to ask. I hope the owner can fill me in.

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
FWIW, if they are JE pistons, the compression is going to be more like 8.7:1. Thats the only dished piston they make and what I have in my block.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, if they are JE pistons, the compression is going to be more like 8.7:1. Thats the only dished piston they make and what I have in my block.

Hmmm interesting. If that's the case, I'd probably be out. Seems a little low for my 2.3 Whipple. I only have access to 91 octane and didn't want to use more then 15psi.

I think I would be more comfortable going with the Aluminator.

I'm almost leaning that way already, if he says its a Mustang block and its an Explorer and he says its 9.3 comp. instead of 8.7 that's already two things he is lying/being misleading about.

Last edited by a moderator:

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Just found out this engine used to belong to DirtyDogoftheDesert.

I will try to get in touch with him. I found an old for sale thread with some details on the engine but it wasn't a complete build detail.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back