Looking to upgrade my sound system - 05 Vert

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input and hope you can help. I have an '05 Vert and all I have done audio-wise is replaced my Shaker 500 with an Pioneer AVIC 910BT. Since doing so my system doesn't seem to crank as much as it did before. I am wondering if the output of the Shaker 500 system was different and if it acted like a pre-amp before hitting the amps for the subs.... regardless, I want to get more punch out of my system but I don't really want (read: afford) to replace all the speakers. I would probably have enough in the budget to replace the subs.
Is it possible to add a pre-amp of sort to crank up the overall system before it hits the subs amps or would it be best to remove the factory amps and replace?
Anyhow, looking for ideas... one thing though.... has to all look factory and I have no extra room in the trunk. I have about $500 to spend but I can get all my audio stuff at cost so that $500 should go a long ways.

wicked stang

forum member
Reaction score
Thats odd, I had an avic unit a while back and it made my factory shaker system and factory speakers sound amazing. Have you messed with all the sound settings on the unit?
Could add a line driver and that would definitely give you a little more bump.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Thats odd, I had an avic unit a while back and it made my factory shaker system and factory speakers sound amazing. Have you messed with all the sound settings on the unit?
Could add a line driver and that would definitely give you a little more bump.

It sounds really good but it just is not loud enough. It is like the deck senses that the speakers are overdriven. I used a wiring harness and connected everything as per the instructions but maybe I need to connect the subs differently

wicked stang

forum member
Reaction score
Might just need a line driver. One thing though, the smaller wire harness that sends signal to the factory subs has two rca's. Only one of them sends signal though and the other isnt connected to anything. Does your headunit have two channel output for subs? If so you should use a y connector to combine left and right into the single rca on the car side harness.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Might just need a line driver. One thing though, the smaller wire harness that sends signal to the factory subs has two rca's. Only one of them sends signal though and the other isnt connected to anything. Does your headunit have two channel output for subs? If so you should use a y connector to combine left and right into the single rca on the car side harness.

I does have two channel output for subs. I will try as you say.... thanks :thumb:

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, well here we go. I bought a backup camera for my deck and I needed to run the video wire to the deck. Because of this i needed to remove the trunk carpet. Once I had the trunk carpet out I thought that I would sound deaden it at the same time.

sound_deadening1_zps54db8130.jpg

Well since I was sound deadening the trunk I thought I might as well do the interior as well.

sound_deadening3_zps8469df66.jpg

Well this is as far I have gotten. The plan is to treat the entire car including the doors. Since the car is going to be completely treated I thought I should upgrade the amps so I purchased 2 amps. 1 to drive the subs and the other to drive the 4 speakers. Since I ordered the amps it only makes sense to grab some speakers so I ordered 4 Pioneer 6x8's and a pair of Kicker subs...

.... all of this because of a $40 backup camera - lol

Will try and take pics as I progress through this project

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Do you think the sound deadening helped? How much did you need to do the trunk and backseat?

Back