Lots of parts to install tomorrow.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I've been waiting and waiting to get some work done. Finally the stars have aligned, the parts have arrived, the shop has time and I have money.

Parts to be installed
FRPP - 4.10 gears
FRPP - Diff Cover
FRPP - Diff

Axle Exchange 1 piece shaft.

OEM - clutch
OEM - flywheel
(Both were free - take out from a friends car with only 3000kms, otherwise I would upgrade)

I've got a new pinion seal and bearings for the rear diff along with some Mobil 1 fluid.

Anything else that I should replace or check while this is going on?

jlg333

forum member
Reaction score
I read that if you have an aftermarket diff cover you might want to get a relocation brackets for the panhard bar. Not too sure though

jlg333

forum member
Reaction score
and a re tune or one of those calibration tools for your mph! since you're changing to 4.10s it will throw off your actual mph or kms, whatever you prefer to call it lol

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I do have an SCT to update the tune, good reminder though to update.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369794853.344578.jpg

You can see the diff cover in this picture... I have a Steeda PHB. I really hope this works together.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
Does the mobil 1 come with friction modifier in it? If not then you might want to pick up a bottle of that as well. I'm assuming you have a crush sleeve and shims as well.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may want to replace the Diff Cover cap screws with stainless steel ones to avoid that "rusty look" in the not to distant future.

Good luck with the install!

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
You might want to consider a new OEM slave cylinder and/or upgraded clutch line during the clutch install.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
You may want to replace the Diff Cover cap screws with stainless steel ones to avoid that "rusty look" in the not to distant future.

Good luck with the install!

I'd recommend this as well. I'm doing a gear swap soon myself and plan on replacing mine.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
update:
Rear end is complete, gears, diff and cover went fine, but I didn't realize more fluid would be required with the frpp cover. needed an extra quart of 75w90

It was a pain to get the trans out due do the s/c hitting the firewall. I searched a bit on the forum and confirmed some guys had done clutch swaps with the sc still installed.

I was surprised that after 84,000 kms (whippled for 27,000 kms) and 75-80 1/4 mile passes my clutch still had about 30-40% remaining. I felt as if the engagement point was getting higher on the original clutch, and had access to a free clutch and flywheel so i figured it was a good time.

Tomorrow:
top up rear diff with fluid, bleed clutch, adjust pinion angle?, drive it?

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Complete.

Drives amazing, feels smoother which I think the shaft doing its job. Clutch engagement feels tight and the engagement point is higher and feels crisp.

Pulls great through the gears. 28.4" tires and 4.10's work just fine even with 400rwhp.

Sounds HORRIBLE stock mufflers and Bassani X pipe just don't do it for me. I miss my Corsa sports.

Hopefully I see a 2 or 3 tenths reduction in my ET.

So far these mods are making me quite happy.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back