Midmounting mufflers = Goldilocks?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone mid mounted mufflers, not just resonators on an s197? I'm thinking about doing such a thing but not sure how well it would work.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
There's this...

38644830032_large.jpg

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Ive considered running 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiets Resonators in the rear with a Custom Quad tip as a Custom Axleback, and 2 Vibrant 12" Bullet style resonators with an off-road H-pipe. I hope its quieter than a Roush Axle back with an off-road pipe; but I can't stand the quad muffler options. The best sounding is what I got but chambered isnt the best for my future hopes of a turbo setup and the ugly tips.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
the Pypes m80's is the only kit ive seen premade to be mid mounted.

I thought about having a couple mufflers welded in like the m80 setup, and the local popular exhaust shop wanted to charge me $340 to do it...

Last edited:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
the Pypes m80's is the only kit ive seen premade to be mid mounted.

I thought about having a couple mufflers welded in like the m80 setup, and the local popular exhaust shop wanted to charge me $340 to do it...

Similar to that, the local custom shop I go to wants to mount two Magnaflow resonators after the h-pipe to tone it down a little.

It's amazing how much louder the Kooks are with a catted mid.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the Heartthrob cat to axle with resonators. The "resonator" isn't a whole lot different than Pypes mid mufflers. Internally they're probably identical. Those resonators keep my S-types in check while I run an o/r x-pipe. Still loud as hell but much cleaner with the resonators.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I go to the Kooks setup with an O/R H pipe I will probably switch to maybe the Kooks or GT500 mufflers and maybe a resonator depending on how loud it is with that.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yeah, when I go to the Kooks setup with an O/R H pipe I will probably switch to maybe the Kooks or GT500 mufflers and maybe a resonator depending on how loud it is with that.

Borla Touring with O/R H, stock headers, stock resonators:

A few times in this video (#87 on the doors):

The last car in this one:

I may get an updated "normal" video made this weekend. Its been more than a year since I've had them put on. I've been bouncing the idea of toying with the resonators too. Depending how long I decide to keep the car, I was planning to put on Kooks LTH's.

Last edited:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm dialed in! Kooks headers with catted h-pipe, 14" Magnapack resonators and PypeBombs. Still plenty of attitude with a nice rumble while cruising and very, very minimal drone. I have to create the drone purposely. Much less than with the stock exhaust and PypeBombs only. At WOT it roars!

I think it sounds awesome now!

I'll post some sound clips later. My neighbors are mowing their lawns. Three neighbors at the same time. Go figure...

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
I have magnapacks mid-mounted on my 2010 manual. I have Magnaflow muffler deletes waiting on me at home to install. I'll report back in a few weeks and let you all know how it goes.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Staggering the M80s makes them sound even better. Reduces some resonances at some speeds. Just swap the pipe and the muffler all stock no cutting no welding.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back