Monitoring temp PID's in Aeroforce gauge??

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hello Gentleman, I am messing with my new Aeroforce gauge and have gotten a bit curious with two parameters, coolant temp & head temp.
I know we don't have a coolant sensor and that temp is inferred by checking out the cyl. head temp and doing some math.

So which is the "real" temp and one I should be monitoring on the gauge?

I've seen a hell of a difference in both at random times and they don't seem to change with each other or at the same time, I've also seen them match up. I'd ASSUME it's the head temp. just need to confirm that idea.

Attachments

• IMAG1153.jpg
    IMAG1153.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know this answer, too.

Head temp seems to have a stronger correlation with the oil temp gauge I installed.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Is the aeroforce able to pick up the factory oil temp sensor?

I would be more interested in CHT compared to coolant anyways, as that is a more accurate representation of what is happening in there.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I believe the CHT is the only real reading that you get and that coolant temp is just inferred from the CHT. I don't ever recall seeing an actual coolant temp sensor anywhere on the 3V.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I believe the CHT is the only real reading that you get and that coolant temp is just inferred from the CHT. I don't ever recall seeing an actual coolant temp sensor anywhere on the 3V.
Yes, there is definitely no coolant sensor. I guess from logic we can say that the water will be that much degrees cooler than the metal? and the calculation the ECU uses takes that into account? I guess the metal temp is more important than the coolant temp anyway.

I'll throw in another monkey wrench lol... which of these temps decides when the hi-speed fan turns on? (like you get to pick in some tuners before uploading)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the aeroforce able to pick up the factory oil temp sensor?

I would be more interested in CHT compared to coolant anyways, as that is a more accurate representation of what is happening in there.

There is no factory oil temperature sensor. The "Oil Temp" reading on '13-14 cars gauges is derived from engine duty cycle using a software algorithm.

There is no Oil Temp PID that I can access on my '11 using the Aeroforce Interceptor or the Torque app. At least, I haven't found one.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
No coolant sensor on the 05-09. I purchased an autometer coolant temp gauge and installed the sensor on the coolant goose neck of the Saleen MK VI package using the bung. It worked quite well. The factory coolant goose neck may also have the bung for burping the coolant system as well. IDK. Mine wasn't stock long enough to remember. Photo below is reference and not of my vehicle as it was sold years ago.
c9vciIG.jpg

Aeroforce apparently also makes coolant sensor kits that can be integrated to your existing gauge for about $45 bucks. You may wish to verify compatibility. All I did was a basic google search.
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_sensors_temp.html

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
There is no factory oil temperature sensor. The "Oil Temp" reading on '13-14 cars gauges is derived from engine duty cycle using a software algorithm.

There is no Oil Temp PID that I can access on my '11 using the Aeroforce Interceptor or the Torque app. At least, I haven't found one.

I can 100% promise you there is on 05/06 GT's. The sensor is on the passenger side of the oil pan. I know they got rid of it for some reason on the 07+. Looks like they didn't add it back to the Coyote either, and I can't figure out why they would do that.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I can 100% promise you there is on 05/06 GT's. The sensor is on the passenger side of the oil pan. I know they got rid of it for some reason on the 07+. Looks like they didn't add it back to the Coyote either, and I can't figure out why they would do that.
I always thought that was a level sensor.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, there is definitely no coolant sensor. I guess from logic we can say that the water will be that much degrees cooler than the metal? and the calculation the ECU uses takes that into account? I guess the metal temp is more important than the coolant temp anyway.

I'll throw in another monkey wrench lol... which of these temps decides when the hi-speed fan turns on? (like you get to pick in some tuners before uploading)

The ecu derived coolant temp is what is used for the fan speed. On my SCT-X3 with the VMP tune, I can set the high and low fan thresholds individually, each over a huge range. I can also set the high speed threshold to be lower than the low speed threshold.

The cht typ reads 10-15 deg or so higher than the eng coolant temps.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The ecu derived coolant temp is what is used for the fan speed. On my SCT-X3 with the VMP tune, I can set the high and low fan thresholds individually, each over a huge range. I can also set the high speed threshold to be lower than the low speed threshold.

That makes sense, thank you sir!!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I always thought that was a level sensor.

No, it actually is an oil temperature sensor, at least according to the '05 and '06 Chilton Manual. It doesn't exist on the later 3 valves or on the Coyote.

I have noticed the same thing on the Coyote. The Cylinder Head Temp reads 10-20 deg higher than the Coolant temp. FWIW, I monitor the Coolant Temp PID and use an Auto Meter Oil Temp gauge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back