MSD Launch Master (Combined Threads)

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will have a lot of in car and out of car videos on the next track day. Just hoping that with the 2 Step, maybe I won't bog. Someone is supposed to be buying my M&H's soon, so hopefully I'll get some MTs by then.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm at the track now trying it out for the first time racing. Working like a charm, but now I have to get used to managing the gas pedal after I pop the clutch. Unprepped track and only pulling 1.8 60'.

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of in car vids from last night. Still bogging with these M&H's. I hope I get my MT's soon so I can stop that. The first launch is 5000 and 2nd launch is 5500.

Last edited:

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm not sure what happened. I put the YouTube one up instead for now.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GTG now. Nice vids man and it's clear to see and hear when you're bogging. Obviously the 5k rpm launch caused less wheel spin, but noticed the bog there as well.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
seems like the cars bog a lot on this 2 step. is that the general consensus? Ive seen some vids and in person and the cars all tend to bog leaving the line.

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I'm bogging less now with the MTs, but still bogging. People keep telling me to slip the clutch, but I think that may be hard to do with the 2 step. Maybe I shouldn't air down my DR's so much, so they get a bit more slip, that way I won't have to slip the clutch. What do you think?

Video with MT's on 8/15/08

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea i still see the bog. i have not seen 1 car get off a really good launch without bogging. is this perhaps the unburnt fuel left in the system from activating the 2 step?

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I tried to install the 2 step this past weekend...Dead on arrival. I do not think I will be asking for a replacement unless that is the only route. Msd in my eyes is loosing quality in their work. This is not the first time I have had issues with them.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
seems like the cars bog a lot on this 2 step. is that the general consensus?
I'd also like to hear from the auto trans guys about this? Especially those with twin screws and higher stall TCs. Anyone?

Willie

Reaction score
The best method to prevent / minimize bog is to feather the clutch. The alternative would be to set the 2-step extremely high, i.e. 6,000 rpm. Even this method would cause a bog but not significant.

It's also very important to set your 2-step activation switch so that it disables the 2-step at the nano-second you start lifting off the clutch. My setup uses the factory clutch switch (upper) to activate the 2-step, not a reed switch. I tried a series of spacers on my switch and finally got it to disengage at the instant my clutch pedal starts to move. I know mine is set up perfectly because I installed an LED which lights when the 2-step is enabled. This is my visual proof that as soon as I start releasing the clutch, the 2-step disables.

Has anyone datalogged while the two-step is enabled and working? My datalog does not show the rpms which the 2-step limits the engine to. My datalog looks like it shows what the rpm would be without the 2-step impeding the rpms..... Can anyone confirm this? I could test this now but my car is in the shop for clutch/tranny TSB work. Probably won't get it back for a week....

Willie

Last edited:

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
The best method to prevent / minimize bog is to feather the clutch. The alternative would be to set the 2-step extremely high, i.e. 6,000 rpm. Even this method would cause a bog but not significant.

It's also very important to set your 2-step activation switch so that it disables the 2-step at the nano-second you start lifting off the clutch. My setup uses the factory clutch switch (upper) to activate the 2-step, not a reed switch. I tried a series of spacers on my switch and finally got it to disengage at the instant my clutch pedal starts to move. I know mine is set up perfectly because I installed an LED which lights when the 2-step is enabled. This is my visual proof that as soon as I start releasing the clutch, the 2-step disables.

Has anyone datalogged while the two-step is enabled and working? My datalog does not show the rpms which the 2-step limits the engine to. My datalog looks like it shows what the rpm would be without the 2-step impeding the rpms..... Can anyone confirm this? I could test this now but my car is in the shop for clutch/tranny TSB work. Probably won't back it back for a week....

Willie
How did you hook it into the clutch switch?
Picture link?

Willie

Reaction score
Disconnected the pigtail, jumpered across the terminals, then used the switch for my circuit. Pretty simple, really...

My circuit uses the following components:

SPDT Relay
Master Switch with Built-in LED
Factory Clutch Switch
Enabled LED
10A Fuse
Ignition Source

I have to use the relay because it is the factory switch is normally closed, converse to the Ford schematics. I needed a normally open switch. The relay effectively reverses the switch function.

Willie

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to hear from the auto trans guys about this? Especially those with twin screws and higher stall TCs. Anyone?

I don't have a TS but as for the auto it's worked well. I leave between 3200 to 3500 RPM depending on track conditions.

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Even with dropping down the tire size, I'm positive it's just my gearing that is causing the bogging. 3.31's just don't do it for the track. Cams, gears, and nitrous are coming next year. But I really want to break 12's with these 3.31's, just to be able to say I did.

I just went back and watched a few vids. I was bogging even with the stock tires with no 2 Step. It's not the 2 Step at all.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What size stall do you run ?

If I recall, PI stated it somewhere around 3500. However on a turbo car (that continues to create torque) when I use the transbrake, I can easily stall it well over that (+5000) and subsequnetly damage the converter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back