Mt82 removal tricks?

Discussion in '2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech' started by my07silvergt, Mar 27, 2015.

1. my07silvergt

my07silvergt HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES

Ok so I've searched and can't really find anything on this. Are there any tricks to getting the mt82 to clear the tunnel like the 3650's? With the 3650 you slide it back a few inches, rotate it 1/4 turn and it comes out. For the life of me I can't get the damn thing to come out.....

2. cyclerick

cyclerick forum member

I had mine removed by a regular joe mechanic and he didn't have any difficulty at all.

3. Scott_0

Scott_0 forum member

I don't understand, do you have long tube headers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. my07silvergt

Yeah but they arent in the way. The case of the trans where the bell housing usually is, is hitting the tunel and won't come out.

5. Wes06

Wes06 forum member

hmm....any chance you could lift the engine slightly and shift it forward?

6. my07silvergt

Tried that and it still wouldn't come.

7. Wes06

Wes06 forum member

break out the BFH then i guess.....lol

8. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Junior Member

OP,

I'm in Austin area and can help you if you need some man power / second set of eyes.

9. Eel Mit

Eel Mit forum member

Tried tilting the engine back on it's mounts?

10. my07silvergt

Sure did. I'm tellin you we worked on pulling the turd for hours after all the bell housing bolts and all electrical stuff was disconnected.

Cruisin, that's cool man, I appreciate it. I'll pm you my cell number.

11. my07silvergt

Well I got it out, seems as though I was being a bitch....lol

12. stang8psi

stang8psi forum member

its easy.. had mine out in under 2 hours.. have to pull it again this week replace a failed spec clutch (figure that)

13. Scott_0

Scott_0 forum member

what are you replacing it with? rxt? rst?

14. my07silvergt

This is not good news for me. We just installed a spec 3+ in the car I'm working on. Now we can't get the trans to mate back to the motor. Tried stuffing it in and it didn't go so we pulled it back out and lubed up the input shaft and I checked the clutch alignment and it's still good. It's not super easy to get in and out but the clutch tool does go in and out.

15. luillo

luillo forum member

I think I know what is your problem. You have to make sure the trans is perfectly straight to the engine then go up a little bit then in the engine. I ran I the same problem and I think is the input shaft not been perfectly aligned before going in or up. The biggest problem is clearance on the chassis.

Lower the K-member just a little bit and it will help.

16. Hand-filer

Hand-filer Junior Member

Put the transmission in any gear and then rotate the output shaft as you push on the transmission. It should slide right in.

17. my07silvergt

We tried that as well.

18. Hand-filer

Hand-filer Junior Member

Well then it's one of two things:
    The clutch isn't lined up with the flywheel or the transmission isn't lined up with the block.
    I just got done doing the same job on the weekend by myself on my back using a floor jack with a piece of plywood bolted to the top of it.
    It's not a fun job but it's not that difficult.

19. stang8psi

stang8psi forum member

Exactly the method I did.. I also used a trans jack with multiple angles to help..

20. stang8psi

stang8psi forum member

Nope stock for now.. I need a built trans here soon (my input shaft is whining so loud) so I am gonna wait and do the exedy since it seems to be the only single disc worth having