Mustang drift techniques!

scottythesparky

Reaction score
My usual method is a little flick to the outside, turn in, clutch kick, countersteer, power. And then its just a matter of modulating your throttle and your steering angle

G'day bud I'm newby here and stay in bonnie Scotland,want to get into drifting and I do a lot of track days,I get what your saying and makes sense but what gear are u in,I thought 2nd? But wasn't sure..cheers and thanks for any help..:)

forum member
Reaction score
G'day bud I'm newby here and stay in bonnie Scotland,want to get into drifting and I do a lot of track days,I get what your saying and makes sense but what gear are u in,I thought 2nd? But wasn't sure..cheers and thanks for any help..:)

That depends on how fast you're going and your rear end gear ratio. But I'd imagine there's not enough torque after 3rd gear on a stock 3v car.

jbido

forum member
Reaction score
What if you throw it in neutral pull the e brake then throw it drive? In an automatic

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a recipe for transmission soup. you can drifted automatic but it has to be valved & set up correctly. if you are just beginning to drift you really should have a manual transmission. in addition to the possibility of ruining the transmission, to do all that you have to be extremely fast and it's going to be very hard to give steering inputs, foot brake inputs, handbrake inputs and shift all at the same time, you will also have to work the gas pedal too.

VistaBlueJay

Reaction score
Our standard E-brakes require alot of pull to get the back end locking. i would go practice in a secluded, even empty parking lot. I would even suggest a area that looks much like the one in DreadKnought's signature above. freshly paved blacktop is always slippery and less controllable like a wet surface.

sleeper108

Reaction score
May I suggest a good Drifting school? They might be able to help.

typically for the cost of a drifting school, it's cheaper for a whole track day, and just letting people know you're new. Usually, everyone is really nice at events and not overly competitive, so they're willing to give advice on speed, angle, line, etc...

Also, as far as initiations in the mustang (but I do this in any car really) I stick with a clutch kick. The track set-ups we have around here are usually not high speed, so I am still not used to that. But a clutch kick allows you to keep your hand in 1 of 2 places (shifter or wheel) and let you do your fancy footwork. Once you have to start messing with handbrake mid-drift it's far easier, I think it's a pain to initiate with is all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back