My 06's dirty little secret.....So what is the story on your purchase?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Backstory- I had a 67 Shelby Cobra Replica for 9 years and was sick of it. To the point that I didn't even want to see it when I walked thru my garage. Fair-weather car, kids with scars from getting burned on the side pipes, I barley fit in the seat (I'm 6'2"). I could go on but you get the point. I was looking to sell it or trade it for something newer and fast. I turned down many decent offers because they just did not feel right. I got a call from a guy about trading an 06 Mustang and some cash for it. Super clean with only 36,000 miles. Lot's of mods and the best part was that it would seat 4 so my wife and 2 of my 5 kids could go with me places. I loved the color (Vista Blue). I was excited and the deal was done. After I got it I started looking into things and realized the sticker that is usually in the drivers door jam was in the glove box still attached to the metal it was stuck to. Even put the green masking tape around it so you don't cut your hand digging in the glove box. Very thoughtful. So, it looks like it has been wrecked. I found no flaws in the body work and everything looks perfect. To be honest, I don't care because I am very happy with the car and the deal I made to get it. I guess I should do a VIN search to get a report and see what happened. Also the wireing harness was damaged behind the front bumper and I need to get the connectors and socket plug for the passengers side front park light. Anybody know the parts number for that? Place to buy it?003 (9).JPG

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
That thing doesn't have a salvage title and it got hit so hard they had to section in a whole rear quarter/B pillar?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
No salvage title. Clean as a new one. Don't know how it was damaged or to what extent. Body lines are perfect.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
How was that a secret? Certification label missing and you didn't ask any questions? That's the second thing I look for when looking at a car. First thing is that it appears to be what it is advertised to be while I'm walking up to it.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't realize it was not there. The previous owner didn't bring it up. It's OK. Just something I missed until I was cleaning out the glove box later that week.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a laundered title, stolen car, who knows!

As long as it's insured... hopefully the mob doesn't come looking for it.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
The VIN tag you can see thru the windshield matches and it was titled in IL and now I have it titled in WI so it's legit. Let's face it, it's not a 1 of 20 rare sought after car so it's not that big of a deal.
Now what about the part numbers for the front parking light pigtail and light socket?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks ox white but I found this earlier and could not identify which plug it is. I may need a schematic or some other drawing to help identify it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The VIN tag you can see thru the windshield matches and it was titled in IL and now I have it titled in WI so it's legit. Let's face it, it's not a 1 of 20 rare sought after car so it's not that big of a deal.
Now what about the part numbers for the front parking light pigtail and light socket?
Exactly why I can't figure out why you put so much value into a car that was likely totaled or nearly so. It is a big deal that the car's history wasn't disclosed. You should go have it put on an alignment rack and spend some time looking the underside over closely while it's in the air.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
RocketcarX - I already had it up when I installed the headers and exhaust. Also had it up when I installed the BMR radiator support. There is nothing wrong with the underside of the car or the front end or the alignment or the inner sheet metal in the trunk or under the hood or the pinch welds under the car. I didn't get this car to sell it and make a profit. It will be worth less each year even with the mods. Just like yours and everybody else's car. The title is good the car looks perfect and runs like a scalded dog. I am happy with it and don't give a shit about the piece of sheet metal with the sticker on it in the glove box. It could have been backed into at the door jam and was easier to replace the sheet metal with no other damage. Seriously, it is OK. I just thought it was a interesting story and was wondering if any others had an interesting story about their car.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If you like it, I love it. Nice car man, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Dirty secret on mine is it is a formal rental car from the west coast.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
As long as you are cool with it, that is all that matters.

If it were me, though, I must admit, I'd be pretty upset that the seller didn't disclose the story as to what happened. And probably more upset with myself that I didn't notice this before I bought the car.

travelers

Reaction score
In my travels today I stopped in a local Ford dealer and if you take your info in to the parts dept. they can order any sticker on the car. So you can get a new one and put it on the B piller.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I loved the color (Vista Blue). I was excited and the deal was done. After I got it I started looking into things and realized the sticker that is usually in the drivers door jam was in the glove box still attached to the metal it was stuck to. Even put the green masking tape around it so you don't cut your hand digging in the glove box.

I wonder if you pulled back the decal from the steel if it would also be Vista Blue? That would be very telling.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
In my travels today I stopped in a local Ford dealer and if you take your info in to the parts dept. they can order any sticker on the car. So you can get a new one and put it on the B piller.

Thanks, that is good information. I may do that but you know someone might say that I'm trying to hide something.

I wonder if you pulled back the decal from the steel if it would also be Vista Blue? That would be very telling.

I will find out this weekend when I get home. I'm sure it is because I ordered matching paint and painted my Roush spoiler and it matched perfect.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score

yes ford can get you a new sticker for the door jamb. i don't know about ford but a mazda sticker takes 2-3 MONTHS to get.
you can contact ECS automotive concepts, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ductsVIN.php&usg=AOvVaw3Q9JSjeRinrAOrUuYWKPZD
and get a decal in 3 days. the last one we got at the bodyshop where i work bodyshop cost $130.

Back