My 06's dirty little secret.....So what is the story on your purchase?

luckyloke

Reaction score
Dirty Secret... Well nothing dirty but I got the 05 in 2011 with 14k miles. Upon looking at the car fax someone got it new with the red leather package in Ohio and or somewhere up north (cant remember) and must have only drove it on Sundays. Sold in in 2010 prolly looking to get the 2011 5.0...

46addict

Reaction score
When I was test driving this car with the owner (who is now PO), he said the car had never been tracked. But some internet searching on his username he goes by on the forums revealed pics of him and the car on several road courses. It's no big deal and I wasn't upset, because I have plans to race the car too. I just wish he would have been honest about it. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker.

He's a good guy and we still talk occasionally on FB.

ParkRNDL

Reaction score
Bought my '14 V6 convertible in fall of '16 for 11k. Secrets? Car spent its first year out west, probably as a rental. At least the drivers side quarter and rear bumper were damaged and replaced before I got it. Don't care, I've put 36k on it since then and I love it.

tivo304

Reaction score
Dirty lil' secrets, huh? I bought my '06 GT two and a half years ago @ 73k miles. Drove nicely, paint was in good shape save for a few chips and a small dent. Engine bay was clean. Didn't seem to have any issues, no codes stored, etc. Though I instantly recognized the guy had a rather extreme short throw hiding underneath the boot as soon as I went into 1st. Poor red leather seats, the front driver's seat was completely ripped up and dried out, so I knew the car had been abused. Fuckin' fatass didn't bother to care for them.

I expected there to be things I would need to fix, but not to the extent that I ended up fixing it. Basically, the car's entire suspension ended up being at the end of its life (all control arm bushings quickly reached end of life, struts gave out), the clutch started giving out, and problems began mounting (hesitation under load, overheating, bad alternator/open diode issue, melted electric relay, radiator corroded inside, sparks shot, lash adjusters loose and knocking). I'm not one to let things fester, and working at a certain, very large Mustang parts supplier, I do this stuff every day. The result is a "rebuild it/fix it" list to get my '06 looking and running better at 121k miles than it did at 73k miles.

FRPP Rear Lower Control Arms
FRPP Front Lower Control Arms
Flowmaster Outlaw Axlebacks
PA Performance 180A Alternator
PA Performance Power Wire Kit
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit
GT500 Front Strut Mounts
ST Sport Front Struts
FRPP Performance Spark Plugs
OEM Rear Rotors + Pads
OEM Front Rotors + Pads
2nd Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit (first clutch job from shop I'll never go to again was shit, clearances all jacked up)
FRPP Rocker Arm + Lash Kit
FRPP Blue Valve Covers
Mishimotor Performance Radiator
SVT Cobra Electric Radiator Fan
Ford OEM fuel filter
Ford OEM MAF sensor
New Air Intake/Filter
(2) Front and (2) Rear O2 Sensors
New Springs Front/Rear
New Rear Bumper Cover Painted

TL;DR: If you buy a Mustang, be prepared to fix things on it. It's an economy sports car that young and ignorant folk can buy and thrash on.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I'm still in shock by the OP. They hated their cobra so much they pretty much gave it away for a very slow wrexked Mustang. I owned an 05 GT with cams, LTs, O/R H-pipe, CAI, and 4.10s. In the end it was loud and still slow. Traded it in for an 11 in 2012 which was faster in everyway bone stock.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Bmr4life- Didn't you see the part where I said "trade and some cash". It worked out to my advantage. He had already installed the ProCharger, AirLift and Wheels/Tires. My wife got a nice van out of the deal (with the cash). She was happier than me, which is unusual when I do a car deal.

IMG_2814.JPG

006 (9).JPG

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like it could have been rebodied and the original owner wanted to keep the door sticker with the VIN. I know of 2 local Shelby GT500 around here that are rebodied wrecks, you would never know it.

Speedrcr43

Reaction score
06Jet - love those wheels, what kind and size are they?

Everyone freaks out with reconstructed titles anymore, if you go over the car and can't find issues it was "probably" done correctly. Insurance companies are sometimes quick to total out a car if it is more than 7 or 8 years old and most of the time is basic repairs that drive up the cost. To have my nephews hood and front bumper repaired the body shop wanted $1700 dollars - his car isn't worth more than $3k or $4K tops. THink the insurance company wants to pay close to 50% of the value to have it repaired? Nope - total it.

I just bought my 07' GT a few months ago with a rebuilt title, a tree fell on it. After going over the car the only thing I could see that had to be repaired was the hood, fender and front bumper. I haven't found any damage to anything structural.
I got it cheap enough that I could care less about it being a rebuilt, It already had some suspension mods, Hurst shifter, CAI and a SCT tuner - all in the trunk and not installed. Since I plan on making changes the amount of cash I saved was well worth it - I plan to run it into the ground anyhow, so who cares? I've been fixing and driving reconstructed cars since the I was in high school in the mid 80's...
Already have headers, x-pipe, and cams sitting on the shelf for installation next month... then next on the list is gears

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have made progress. Anybody notice anything different?
The right body shop and $75 will get you a new sticker. They said that they have to do it all the time and it is no big deal.

133.JPG

mrdale14424

Reaction score
Good story, GREAT looking car (from the pics posted 1-1-18).
Sounds like you are really enjoying it and that what this hobby is about.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. It is fun to drive. I'm working in Easton PA and brought it out here with me for the summer. Hitting some cruise nights and some small car shows.

Back