My Story - 1st Impression of [bracket racing]

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I say things like a surgeon uses a scalpel. Other times I say things like Jack the Ripper used a knife. That particular day I was not a surgeon.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bullshit! Thats called "who can afford the quickest car". I runa 12.6 second car because i cant afford a twin turbo or supercharger. obviously you can or you wouldnt be saying that stupid shit.

Again,he cant go as fast because he probably cant afford it,unlike you.i'd give anything to go 10's...hell even 11's.

I wish! I'm not even in the 12's yet myself. Kudos to you. I hope to make 12's next year.

I guess maybe I'm lucky to have a heads up program I can run that puts us in a ladder next to the car running the closest to our own time. First one to the finish wins. It's a lot of fun. After doing it this way, any other way sucks and I just don't enjoy it.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
For the uninformed, bracket racing takes more skill than heads up racing. You not only have to leave the tree with sick RTs, but you also have to play the stripe at the big end, too. Very difficult to do well all the time.

I have a ton of respect for the guys that have done it successfully at the highest level for many years, such as Dan Fletcher and David Rampy. If you don't know those names, then you don't follow NHRA sportsman classes. Those guys are incredible. :hi:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Try judging the rate of closure on a 10.50 car when you're driving a 15 second car. There's some skill involved there, Slick. Don't believe me? Ask Parisi or even JDM.

Last year on a Friday test and tune night, I was testing a new tune on my blown alcohol altered. I made runs between 6.92 and 6.98 all at 207 MPH. I decided to enter the cash bash just to fuck with the street cars . I dialed a 6.92 and lined up against a girl in a automatic bug with a 18.75 dial. That was a hard stripe to judge! I ran a 6.89 at 208 MPH to her 18.77 at 74 MPH. She said she almost shit her pants when I deployed the laundry next to her.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit, I thought waiting for almost 5 seconds for this chick in a Cavalier at the tree tonite was long..

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
LOL... I would have fallen asleep at the tree.

And the worst part is that you lost, too. :thud:

I never realized how funny that is. Little fat girl and all her friends probably laughed their asses off that Mr wanna be big shot got smoked 1st round!

I guess that proves the earlier point that heads up racing is much easier.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I guess that proves the earlier point that heads up racing is much easier.

I will say that turning on the top bulb, pulling the lever to put the car on the high side, watching the rpms drop to about 650, bump the second bulb...........tree flash..........tag it........hang the fuck on!!!

Injected nitro cars are so damn cool.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
I guess maybe I'm lucky to have a heads up program I can run that puts us in a ladder next to the car running the closest to our own time. First one to the finish wins. It's a lot of fun. After doing it this way, any other way sucks and I just don't enjoy it.

Index racing, that's another kettle of fish...

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
I never tried drag racing before last year and when I decided to look into different programs and see what skill level and compitition levels were out there, 8th or 1/4 tracks, sportsman and pro tree, heads up and bracket or whatever.

Well after giving it some thought I looked into who was running what and where (love the internet) I found a track and program that suited my curiosity:

1/4 mile
Heads up
Pro tree
The track:
New York International Raceway Park
Program:
Mustang On Mustang Racing
Class:
Street Tired

I went to some test and tunes and learned a bit about the track and the car and about me. It was fun as I learned about staging and launching, the 60' and about Traction...I don't have any.

I ran mid 13s on street tires and did well in the eliminations (point run).

The program offered the avg joe a chance to run against the closest car to his et.

I don't know if I would get a kick out of bracket racing so instead I choose to stay with this program as it offers me a race that will be won by me or lost by me. Sandbagging, if I have to do that to win no matter how skilfull....I don't know, just not my way of winning, seems cheap to me, like bowling with bumpers or fishing in a barrel or even taking the ugly girl home after the bar closes....not to belittle those that do....but winning cash....now I might just take the ugly girl home....for the right price...

Now staging is the hardest for me, I guess no matter what type of racing you do it is the same, it is like reaching behind a woman to undo the bra, the challenge, the excitement...I digress...eh em.... I like courtesy staging, I let them prestage first then I prestage, they then stage and then I follow, it puts me in the right frame of mind, if they wait for me to stage first I deep stage just to make it fun. I bring up my rpms and wait for the yellow lights to flash and let it rip. Most races in the program are won at the tree or at the 60'....I hate that tree

Look into the programs in your area and find what suits you, hey if you are visiting Western New York or wish to come out to run with MOMs we would welcome you, more cars that show up the tighter the et matchups.

Sorry about being long winded....or offering nothing to the thread starter.

She said she almost shit her pants when I deployed the laundry next to her.

Thats some funny shit right there...

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
OK last tonight I got a chance to PRACTICE drag racing. 10 runs @ New England Dragway on "Street Night". Here are my best 2 timeslips, they were during the first 1/2 hr of the night while the track surface was still prepped... it went downhill after that, but I got a lot of great practice launching and shifting the car and now I'm better prepared! Even got a personal best of 11.856...
TimeSlips08_04_2010.jpg

Below are 3 timeslips that resulted from meeting a dude with a stock Nissan R GT twin-turbo (his girlfriend's) and we lined up about a half-dozen times. Always finished within .10 sec of each other & being so closely matched running head-head was wicked exciting! THANKS to all of you contributing helpful technical info & entertaining posts... I'm glad I told my story. I'm getting better all the time with your help!
TimeSlips08_04_2010001.jpg

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I never tried drag racing before last year and when I decided to look into different programs and see what skill level and compitition levels were out there, 8th or 1/4 tracks, sportsman and pro tree, heads up and bracket or whatever.

Well after giving it some thought I looked into who was running what and where (love the internet) I found a track and program that suited my curiosity:

1/4 mile
Heads up
Pro tree
The track:
New York International Raceway Park
Program:
Mustang On Mustang Racing
Class:
Street Tired

I went to some test and tunes and learned a bit about the track and the car and about me. It was fun as I learned about staging and launching, the 60' and about Traction...I don't have any.

I ran mid 13s on street tires and did well in the eliminations (point run).

The program offered the avg joe a chance to run against the closest car to his et.

I don't know if I would get a kick out of bracket racing so instead I choose to stay with this program as it offers me a race that will be won by me or lost by me. Sandbagging, if I have to do that to win no matter how skilfull....I don't know, just not my way of winning, seems cheap to me, like bowling with bumpers or fishing in a barrel or even taking the ugly girl home after the bar closes....not to belittle those that do....but winning cash....now I might just take the ugly girl home....for the right price...

Now staging is the hardest for me, I guess no matter what type of racing you do it is the same, it is like reaching behind a woman to undo the bra, the challenge, the excitement...I digress...eh em.... I like courtesy staging, I let them prestage first then I prestage, they then stage and then I follow, it puts me in the right frame of mind, if they wait for me to stage first I deep stage just to make it fun. I bring up my rpms and wait for the yellow lights to flash and let it rip. Most races in the program are won at the tree or at the 60'....I hate that tree

Look into the programs in your area and find what suits you, hey if you are visiting Western New York or wish to come out to run with MOMs we would welcome you, more cars that show up the tighter the et matchups.

Sorry about being long winded....or offering nothing to the thread starter.

She said she almost shit her pants when I deployed the laundry next to her.

Thats some funny shit right there...

What's your car? We should get together and talk shop at the next MOM's race.

:beerchug2:

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
What was she wearing???? lol Sorry, had to
Nothing after he flew by her at almost light speed.
Last year on a Friday test and tune night, I was testing a new tune on my blown alcohol altered. I made runs between 6.92 and 6.98 all at 207 MPH. I decided to enter the cash bash just to fuck with the street cars . I dialed a 6.92 and lined up against a girl in a automatic bug with a 18.75 dial. That was a hard stripe to judge! I ran a 6.89 at 208 MPH to her 18.77 at 74 MPH. She said she almost shit her pants when I deployed the laundry next to her.
I have ran against cars like yours, it's dangerous but a blast. All I see in my mirror at half track or so is a little object which a second or so later is a blur in the mirror and then I feel this pressure cell push my car slightly to the side, lol. Kinda reminds me of the F14'S and 18'S breaking the speed of sound. 5 miles out and in bound all you see is a little puff of smoke and a second latter the image starts to blur and then it is in your face, then the envulope nails you.
Below are 3 timeslips that resulted from meeting a dude with a stock Nissan R GT twin-turbo (his girlfriend's) and we lined up about a half-dozen times. Always finished within .10 sec of each other & being so closely matched running head-head was wicked exciting! THANKS to all of you contributing helpful technical info & entertaining posts... I'm glad I told my story. I'm getting better all the time with your help!
TimeSlips08_04_2010001.jpg
If you dig that then bracket racing is much more intense having to mantain your same dial in but with no car beside you to pace yourself to. Ther is no blowing the other guy away or yourself getting blown away unless you screw up. Ideally both vehicles should meet at the finish line at the same time. I have had times when I blew by the car I was racing at the finish line not knowing whether who won until getting to the time slip booth, same with faster cars as well.

I might add if you get your 60' down into the 1.7's that Nissan would be way back in your mirror.

Last edited:

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Yeah, we both had shit for 60' times... I keep working on my launches, but it's tough to hook with the manual tranny, D/R's, and 475 whp. Those runs we ran against each other were pretty consistently 12.2 -12.3 - so I see the bracket racing comparison and I believe I'll have a lot better success next time; I've learned a lot... thanks man!

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
You think that is a blast wait till you hit a good 60' and you'll be HOOKED for sure. The G forces the first 100', 200' or 300' depednding on HP will knock your socks off.

What rpm are you leaving at? If you have MT 275/60/15 DR's that tire is plenty to hold at your HP @ 4500RPM.

A 1.8 60' is like leaving the grocery store.
A 1.7 60' well, wakes me up from my nap.
1.6 60'...now your getting my attention by planting my torsal against the set and the seat belt locks down on you.
1.5 60' will make most folks shit their pants the first time.
1.4 60'...that has happen once in a Vega with a fat block. I wasn't ready for it, cocky, and almost chocked on my tongue.

Ask some of the other guys on here.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Dude I'm spinning if I launch @ higher than 3500 RPM and my tires are M/T ET drag radials 325/50/15... @ 12 psi. I have done the suspension mods such as sway bar delete & CJ springs all around & my LCA's and pinion angle were checked to be correct. I think I just have to learn the right technique of slipping the clutch or whatever... it'll come! My best 60" has been 1.7x..

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dude I'm spinning if I launch @ higher than 3500 RPM and my tires are M/T ET drag radials 325/50/15... @ 12 psi. I have done the suspension mods such as sway bar delete & CJ springs all around & my LCA's and pinion angle were checked to be correct. I think I just have to learn the right technique of slipping the clutch or whatever... it'll come! My best 60" has been 1.7x..

What shocks do you have? I dump my clutch and I spin a little then hook. I can get pretty consistent 1.6x 60s.

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Using the stock shocks & springs from a 2005 V6 Mustang... I read they're the same as Cobra Jet... the springs anyway. I do plan to buy adjustable shocks, I'm waiting on Clavert to have something for S197s.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
His sig indicates v6 shocks. A video would be great to see how the car comes out of the hole.

Does the car lift, hook and go or lift and squat then hook and then break the tires loose? If the car is too loose and bouncing around or porpoising through each shift that aint good.

Symptoms?

Do you have anti squat brackets? Anti squats and adjustable shocks are used a lot.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back