My Story - 1st Impression of [bracket racing]

TheKid

Reaction score
If you know what your dealing with bracket racing can hell of a good time just to be racing ... Im just 20 years old but ive been around it and in it since i was 11 ... i love it ... literally run anything you want and if you know what your doing you can win alot ... Me and my stepdad run a 73 maverick in the footbrake or pro class whatever its called now at DER bracket series in Bristol ...

I think its pretty funny seeing cars like 86ish bone stock suburban (tow vechicle) winning and beating mid 5 sec cars in the 1/8th bc the driver knows his stuff and can cut repeated low .0xx lights (hes got two track championships under belt in that old suv in like the past 4 years

But just my opinion lol

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
....or in this or any other lifetime. :evil:

You, Ferguson, Hindman, Geddes, Williams, Burnette Jr., Youngblood, Parker - Now that would be a tough 3 rounds of bracket racing!

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
SD hit the nail on the head. If bracket racing was gay/easy, everyone would have a championship. I have bracket raced every year since 1980 and I consider myself to be an average bracket racer at best. The slowest car I bracket raced was a 1974 4 cyl auto Mustang II that ran 21.50's at 60 MPH. I left home when I was 17, sold my 57 Chevy and bought the Mustang. I won alot of races with that car between 1980-1982. Bracket racing payouts helped me pay the bills. My quickest bracket car is my altered that runs mid 6's at over 200 that I run in top dragster. I lose a hell of alot more rounds than I win. Bracket racing championships are not easy to come by. Anyone that has one is an accomplished racer. I often wonder how many tens of thousands I have spent bracket racing and still don't have a track championship. I have 11 Wally's though. Heads up match/class racing I'm much better at. It's also easier to be a class champion in class racing if you have enough money to be faster than the competition. If your faster and it's heads up, all you have to do is cut a light and keep the hammer down.

Also, if it wasn't for bracket racing, most drag strips would not exist. It's all of the money spent by bracket racers that has kept the tracks and the NHRA in business.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I may start looking at bracket racing. I know it's a little more difficult with a manual but the k-member brace w/tq limiters makes a huge difference. Last time at the biggest difference between my fastest time and slowest time was .038sec.

dubba07

Reaction score
Sounds fun IMO. It'd be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So...you can't do it then it must be gay. Yeah. Right. You betcha, Skippy. You can't drive, can't cut a light, can't judge the rate of closure, can't judge the finish line, can't "close it up" at the stripe.....so bracket racing is gay. Just come on out and admit it......you're driving sucks and you're too stupid to understand it. Nobody will hold that against you. You're a "Test&Tune Night Champion".........fine, whatever works for you. Not that "T&T Champs" are gay or anything. Noooooo....not at all.

You could have just said, "I don't like bracket racing" and that would have been fine. Instead, you insulted the shit out of those of us who ARE pretty fuckin' good at it, Prick. And you're gay.

My opinion. You leave at the same time and the first car to cross the finish line wins. Period. That's racing. Anything else is sucking the twizzler as far as I am concerned.

Got nothing to do with anyone else's skill or ability. Sure lots of people are good at it. Winning and what not. But to me it's not racing it's bullshit. Nothing but a way for the guy that can't go as fast to claim to be competitive.

I prefer to go to a race and enter a lader of cars against which I am closely matched. I win or I lose. simple. Drag racing was created by guys that wanted to go faster than the other guy. Not run closer to a bullshit educated guess and stand on the brakes at the end to run just under the dial in. So you can "beat someone".

Fuck that gay shit...as I said before. And also as I've said before SD your an internet douche bag and fuck off. You have quite the internet reputation and you live up to it well. Go suck a knob.

And yes my driving needs work and my cutting a light needs work. I'm not afraid to admit it. And that's why I work on improving during what I consider to be real racing. I also know I'm no John Force. Never will be. I sure as fuck don't go online and pretend to be an expert. I totally get what bracket racing is about and how to run it. I still think it's gay and just like being gay ...it's not for me.

If you are offended by my opinion. Grow some thicker skin, then grow a pair and then deal with it. Nobody said you will always have everyone agree with you no matter how much you want to control every piss-ass internet argument you get into. If you behaved in face to face real life the way you pretend to live online someone bigger, stronger, faster, and angrier would have stomped you but good by now. Since that hasn't happened I am inclined to believe that in real life you are much less of an asshoel and hte ambiguity of the online world allows you to live out your delusions of grandeur without the pesky threat of actually begin forced to realize that you are just an average guy like everybody else, myself included.

How you remain in business and act the way you do online is a fucking mystery.

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
My opinion. You leave at the same time and the first car to cross the finish line wins. Period. That's racing. Anything else is sucking the twizzler as far as I am concerned.

Got nothing to do with anyone else's skill or ability. Sure lots of people are good at it. Winning and what not. But to me it's not racing it's bullshit. Nothing but a way for the guy that can't go as fast to claim to be competitive.

I prefer to go to a race and enter a lader of cars against which I am closely matched. I win or I lose. simple. Drag racing was created by guys that wanted to go faster than the other guy. Not run closer to a bullshit educated guess and stand on the brakes at the end to run just under the dial in. So you can "beat someone".
Ok...wanna race? :evil:

tjm73 said:
Fuck that gay shit...as I said before. And also as I've said before SD your an internet douche bag and fuck off. You have quite the internet reputation and you live up to it well. Go suck a knob.
And you're a no-driving pissant so go kiss a fat man's ass, ya' fuckin' wanna-be.

squirrel-boy said:
If you are offended by my opinion. Grow some thicker skin, then grow a pair and then deal with it.
Offended? Far from it. You've simply shown your narrow-assed viewpoint which highlights how far down the food chain you are when it comes to drag racing.

I.K.B.B.A said:
If you behaved in face to face real life the way you pretend to live online someone bigger, stronger, faster, and angrier would have stomped you but good by now.
Many have tried.

Mighty Mouth said:
Since that hasn't happened I am inclined to believe that in real life you are much less of an asshoel and hte ambiguity of the online world allows you to live out your delusions of grandeur without the pesky threat of actually begin forced to realize that you are just an average guy like everybody else, myself included.
Do not, for one single second, begin to believe that I am anything resembling the likes of you. I am as far beyond you as you are beyond cockroaches.

Charter Member N.D.M.F. Club said:
Pure talent.

:LMAO:

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score

And yes my driving needs work and my cutting a light needs work. I'm not afraid to admit it. And that's why I work on improving during what I consider to be real racing. I also know I'm no John Force. Never will be. I sure as fuck don't go online and pretend to be an expert. I totally get what bracket racing is about and how to run it. I still think it's gay and just like being gay ...it's not for me.

If you are offended by my opinion. Grow some thicker skin, then grow a pair and then deal with it. Nobody said you will always have everyone agree with you no matter how much you want to control every piss-ass internet argument you get into. If you behaved in face to face real life the way you pretend to live online someone bigger, stronger, faster, and angrier would have stomped you but good by now. Since that hasn't happened I am inclined to believe that in real life you are much less of an asshoel and hte ambiguity of the online world allows you to live out your delusions of grandeur without the pesky threat of actually begin forced to realize that you are just an average guy like everybody else, myself included.

Your an idiot and wouldnt know real racing if it slapped you in the face.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been touched on yet cause I havent read the entire thread. A lot of money can be made bracket racing. Atco had $25,000 races for 4 days last weekend. But without a delay/crossover box, transbrake and 2step, there is no shot. Just check out the dragsters and some of the prostock cars cutting .000 to .009 lights like its nothing. Then they are on a throttle stop that limits the cars potential making it even more consistant.
But the prize pays!!!!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
True story: Moroso five day bracket bash back in '92 (I think...lots of beer since then).

Day 1: lost in the semi-finals which was round 8. I had a .002 light and ran 10.202 on a 10.20 dial. Yeah...I lost with a .004 package.

Day 2: lost in the semi-finals...round 7 this time. .001 light/10.204 on a 10.20. .005 package.

Day 3: two races this day. Lost second round in the first race. .004 light and dead on with a 10.210 dial. Second race.....sixth round loss: .001 light/10.213 on 10.21 dial.

Day 4: ran the evening race only. Final round loss. .002 light and dead on 10.180. Opponent was .000 on the tree and dead on 9.900. Perfect package.

Day 5: fourth round loss in the big money race. .004 light and 10.222 on a 10.22 dial.

Made a little money on that trip. Opponent and I split the money. $10K win/$5K r-u. We went $8K/$7K on the split. Came home with a little under $9,000 in winnings. Of course...I spent almost $5K doing that week-long deal. :thud:

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
True story: Moroso five day bracket bash back in '92 (I think...lots of beer since then).

Day 1: lost in the semi-finals which was round 8. I had a .002 light and ran 10.202 on a 10.20 dial. Yeah...I lost with a .004 package.

Day 2: lost in the semi-finals...round 7 this time. .001 light/10.204 on a 10.20. .005 package.

Day 3: two races this day. Lost second round in the first race. .004 light and dead on with a 10.210 dial. Second race.....sixth round loss: .001 light/10.213 on 10.21 dial.

Day 4: ran the evening race only. Final round loss. .002 light and dead on 10.180. Opponent was .000 on the tree and dead on 9.900. Perfect package.

Day 5: fourth round loss in the big money race. .004 light and 10.222 on a 10.22 dial.

Made a little money on that trip. Opponent and I split the money. $10K win/$5K r-u. We went $8K/$7K on the split. Came home with a little under $9,000 in winnings. Of course...I spent almost $5K doing that week-long deal. :thud:

Whatever. Thats gay...sheesh.......

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Then there was the time in March of '01 when I bought a used '98 GT then drove it to Bradenton for the season opening FFW race. Never ran ModMotor class in my life. Runner up to Robert Hindman after five rounds of racing. He offered to split the money too. Class paid $7500 to win/$2000 to runner up. We went $5500/$4000. Then...drove it home. :roflmao:

I was frickin' hooked on that class after that one.

BOSS324

Sinister Sleeper
Reaction score
Yeah I was in the same boat first time at the track was like wth is bracket racing? Then only 1/8 mile good thing I was able chat with a bunch cool guys that filled in. It is fun regardless. The buildup and anticipation at the line is pretty sweet. Wifies stang is off limits but once the marauder is back up I gotta hit the track again! Heads up is fun as well.

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Well I'm overjoyed to see all the passion for bracket racing my post brought out :asshat:

I believe it's now time for this thread to end and another one to begin - I 'd like to see a discussion of "How to" do all the things SD pointed out as the skills of bracket racing:

How to "cut a light" = ?

How to "judge the rate of closure" = ?

How to "judge the finish line" = ?

How to "close it up at the stripe" = ?

And I'm sure there are TONS of other fine points to discuss... so bring it on!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok...wanna race? :evil:

And you're a no-driving pissant so go kiss a fat man's ass, ya' fuckin' wanna-be.

Offended? Far from it. You've simply shown your narrow-assed viewpoint which highlights how far down the food chain you are when it comes to drag racing.

Many have tried.

Do not, for one single second, begin to believe that I am anything resembling the likes of you. I am as far beyond you as you are beyond cockroaches.

Pure talent.

:LMAO:

You have such a high opinion of your self it's awe inspiring. From your posts I see you can do no wrong. And your non too eager to tell everyone.

:handjob:

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your an idiot....

You have a right to your opinion just as I do. For the record I do not think you are an idiot. I don't know you. I'll probably never know you. You may make an idiotic statement or have what I feel is an idiotic opinion, but I can't say you are an idiot simply because I disagree with your point of view.

...and wouldnt know real racing if it slapped you in the face.

In my opinion (operative words here) real racing is two closely matched cars leaving on the same light with the first car crossing the finish line winning. It's a pretty simple concept. Was pretty simple in the 40's and it's pretty simple now. It's not narrow. It's the very foundation of drag racing. To see who is the quickest from point A to point B.

If someone wants to go out a "race" bracket racing and make some money, knock your self out, get rich, get poor, get whatever you want out of it. All I said was I DO NOT HAVE ANY USE FOR IT AT ALL. I. Me. Myself. It's in the same vain as basketball. I so don't care about it, I wouldn't notice if they never played another game.

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Hmmm... this subject certainly stirs up passion... although his initial post was decidedly inflamatory, and he could have handled his follow-up posts much better, seeing that SD was uncharacteristically diplomatic in pointing out that he could have simply said "I don't like it" instead of being insulting. Most of us here appreciate that SD uses name-calling & a disrespectful tone to great dramatic & humourous effect, however "the squirrel" only has 100 posts and may not "get" SD yet!

I admit that it felt VERY LAME when my car & I were "beaten" by an SUV that rolled over the line 3.5 secs slower... and my brain's still struggling to rationalize WHY it's a "better driver" who consistently turns 15 secs and "beats" a less consistent 11 sec car?

If I engineered myself a TANK that ran exactly 1 minute 59 secs in the 1/4 mile EVERY time, I'd feel a little weird winning the national bracket racing championship, but theoretically one COULD do it that way! Is that really a race? When you were a kid did you REALLY believe the tortoise "beat" the hare?

The following analogy helped me explain bracket racing to my neighbor: "Imagine 2 kids, one 9 yrs old, the other 11 yrs old, want to race 100 yards... so they meet at the football field & "to make it a fair race" the 9 year-old starts on the 25 yard line and the older one starts on the goal line - then whoever gets to the end zone first wins"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back