My Story - 1st Impression of [bracket racing]

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
VERY nice Kyle... that's what I'm talkin' about!
HaHa, thanks. Don't get real excited though, I'm just a rookie too. :beerdrink:

Breaking things down to root issues or tasks is how I do my job too. It's just the way my head works.

TheKid

Reaction score
Knowing your car is a huge part too, which usually falls back on what the driver knows ...

We have notebooks filled with charts of information (This is just for weekend racing for fun) we take from each and every pass so we know how to dial the car in the future and use data from up to a two years ago to get the best idea of how the car is going to perform for the given conditions, but even after all that it still comes down to cutting the lights.

Also, I just love chasing down a car that leaves 3-4 seconds a head of you to barley edge out a win ... damn nice rush

But I guess its all in whatever blows up your skirt lol

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention and addendum to Kyles more serious steps than what I posted.
Always stay in the groove...which means the tire lane that the big cars are going in and launching from once you pull up to the line. That is where you will find the best traction. It is usually the less shiny surface.

Also, if your lined up against a high hp car, some thing with ~1000hp and bouncing his engine of the rev limiter when the light comes down and his engine is bouncing off your chest I have found it easier to just let him stage before you do, play a little cat and mouse and try to control the moment. It gives you time to adjust to the sound level and focus in on your next task at hand.

1. stage the last light
2. bring up the rpms visually since you can't here a damn thing
3. Since you will be leaving first, focus in on the last amber and boom drop the clutch or let off your brake and roll into it.

Last edited:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they had a bracket class with standard only that would be a site to see....

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
If they had a bracket class with standard only that would be a site to see....

THEY DO!! This Sat at Englishtown...Bring it

GEAR JAMMER BRACKET [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](10.00-19.99) Open to all Stick Shift Fords, no clutchless transmissions. $200 to Win, $100 for R/U. Payout based on 32 cars.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

http://www.etownraceway.com/mydocuments/fords2010back.pdf

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
It's called UMTR. United Manual Transmission Racers. Mostly up north around Ohio but they recently started a "North" and "South" division. South is around Tennessee from what I hear.

http://umtrdragrace.com/

I tried to get a manual transmission bracket race started at HRP years ago. Went out and got class sponsors, had the payout set ($750 win/$400 r-u/$150 quarters on a $50 entry fee), HRP said ok.....then I went looking for racers. Wanna know what I got?

"You need to learn to bracket race against all cars instead of just trying to run manual tranny guys only, you loser."

Mind you....none of these shitheads knew who I was or that I had won HRP's track championship in the Pro ET class two years in a row. I was trying to keep it anonymous so stick shift guys would come out and race the class. In the end.....nothing. Nobody would commit to the class. Pissed me off so bad that I deliberately built the Fairmont with a Jerico transmission then proceeded to beat the same batch of asswipes who told me to learn how to race all cars in their own Footbrake/No Electronics class. Won the track championship in that class and then proceeded to tell them during my acceptance speech at the awards banquet that it was ME who was trying to put the stick shift class together and they really should not have pissed me off.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
My Dad leaned over to me at the table afterwards and said, "So...stepping up to Quick 16 next year? 'Cause these fuckers in Footbrake are really pissed at you now."

:LMAO:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
THEY DO!! This Sat at Englishtown...Bring it

GEAR JAMMER BRACKET [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](10.00-19.99) Open to all Stick Shift Fords, no clutchless transmissions. $200 to Win, $100 for R/U. Payout based on 32 cars. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

http://www.etownraceway.com/mydocuments/fords2010back.pdf

Dam that's crazy!

It's called UMTR. United Manual Transmission Racers. Mostly up north around Ohio but they recently started a "North" and "South" division. South is around Tennessee from what I hear.

http://umtrdragrace.com/

I tried to get a manual transmission bracket race started at HRP years ago. Went out and got class sponsors, had the payout set ($750 win/$400 r-u/$150 quarters on a $50 entry fee), HRP said ok.....then I went looking for racers. Wanna know what I got?

"You need to learn to bracket race against all cars instead of just trying to run manual tranny guys only, you loser."

Mind you....none of these shitheads knew who I was or that I had won HRP's track championship in the Pro ET class two years in a row. I was trying to keep it anonymous so stick shift guys would come out and race the class. In the end.....nothing. Nobody would commit to the class. Pissed me off so bad that I deliberately built the Fairmont with a Jerico transmission then proceeded to beat the same batch of asswipes who told me to learn how to race all cars in their own Footbrake/No Electronics class. Won the track championship in that class and then proceeded to tell them during my acceptance speech at the awards banquet that it was ME who was trying to put the stick shift class together and they really should not have pissed me off.

Wow I admit I never did look into it before my previous post. I am usually the only stick car in the bracket or index class... latley all three of us in 11.90 index (3 mustangs all stick) keep having to race each other in the first and 2nd rounds which kinda sucks xD

I respect bracket racing fully... I really like it as long as it's a pro 500 or pro 400 tree and our local OSCA serious has Open comp 10.5 and slower with a pro 500 tree and pro comp 10.5 and faster pro 400.

Auto or stick it takes mad skills, unless your car is 15-16 seconds and slower.... :handjob:

Here was a first round battle with my buddy Matt and his stick car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt6-EbElUc

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Try judging the rate of closure on a 10.50 car when you're driving a 15 second car. There's some skill involved there, Slick. Don't believe me? Ask Parisi or even JDM.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try judging the rate of closure on a 10.50 car when you're driving a 15 second car. There's some skill involved there, Slick. Don't believe me? Ask Parisi or even JDM.

Yes.... you are right... but if the car runs full out everytime and hit's the same slow number constantly never spinning tires or missing gears.... it's a differn't story.

I am wrong to a point... but you are too xD

Chris did very well in the 6, he still has it right?

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score

No Shit!! Probably have to set your coffe cup down for those runs:whistling:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Coffee? No, but I did have to toss the empty beer can in the back floor board so I could make room for a fresh, cold one.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Coffee? No, but I did have to toss the empty beer can in the back floor board so I could make room for a fresh, cold one.

Wait...That's unsecured ballast..That's illegal!

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
My opinion. You leave at the same time and the first car to cross the finish line wins. Period. That's racing.
bullshit! Thats called "who can afford the quickest car". I runa 12.6 second car because i cant afford a twin turbo or supercharger. obviously you can or you wouldnt be saying that stupid shit.

Nothing but a way for the guy that can't go as fast to claim to be competitive.
Again,he cant go as fast because he probably cant afford it,unlike you.i'd give anything to go 10's...hell even 11's.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Post count really doesn't mean anything. Only that I've posted only a little bit here. I don't post a lot because I spend most my time reading and doing what I can. Admittedly it is not as much doing as I would like, but that's where I am.

As for "getting" SD..what's to get about a person that just flames everyone and treats anyone that asks a question he thinks is basic and every one should just know it like they are dog shit? That's kindergarden. Not even high school. Kindergarden. I left that behind long ago. I refuse to bend on my opinion. He always seems to resort to name calling and lame attempts at putting people down. We differ in our way of seeing things. Pretty easy to see that. He's oil. I'm water. We don't mix.

It's not just about the post count, you've only been here for a hot month so you can't possibly "get" the forum or it's members yet. This place has it's own vibe and attitude.

SD does a lot more than just "flame" people. He gives good solid advice, too. For those that ask him for help he will help them unless they are just beyond help and asking stupid shit that is far below his level. His "flaming" is epic and a big part of this forum's vibe. It's just how it is. You come right out and started trashing something that others may like and you struck a nerve. Your attitude was very cocky and demeaning toward people that enjoy the sport. No wonder he jumped on you, hell, he actually used more restraint than I would have expected. He must have been tired or something, lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back