My Summit 541 series 15" wheels are on!

TC05GT

Reaction score
Hey guys, after seeing ROUSH STAGE 4's Summit wheels a while back I decided to pull the trigger on a set myself. The more vintage look of the 541 series Summit wheels probably would suit the car. So I ordered up the 4" fronts and the 8" rears. I had some 7/16" spacers already so I reused them instead of buying the common 3/8" spacers for the front. I'm glad I did , I have very tight clearances, the 3/8" spacer probably would have needed some caliper grinding. It's that close with the thicker spacer in place. I have a set of Cragar ET Conical lug nuts in the front. 60 degree tapered seat but has a .300" (.620" diameter) shank as well. So I'm happy I'm grabbing that much more of the threads to offset the spacer thickness somewhat. I measured it up and it looks like I'll be good to go with having 1/2" of thread sticking into the hex portion of the nuts to satisfy the NHRA/IHRA rules.

Up front 4" wide rims with 165 80 15 Nexen tires and out back 8" wide with 275 60 15 Hoosier drag radials.

So here they are....
281270.jpg

281271.jpg

281272.jpg

281273.jpg

281274.jpg

281275.jpg

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
looks good man.......The first time I saw roush stage 4's wheels in person I liked them ALOT. You wouldn't think by looking in the summit magazine they would look good on these cars.

TC05GT

Reaction score
With all the talk of the Jeg's wheels fitting I saw the Summit ones but hated to be the guinea pig with cross border shipping to Canada and hoping they fit. When ROUSH STAGE 4 did the leg work and they fit, I ordered up a set.

Very pleased with the quality and finish for $80 (4") and $107 (8") rims.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
I followed 05blackstxjt when he did the jegs wheels.........him, roush, and me all live right down the road from one another so that helped out in fitment issues.

TC05GT

Reaction score
$380 vs $1600+ for a set of rims...I can live with a little bit of tire hanging out.

usafimj

Reaction score
Looks good. How much improvement you hoping to make

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
sorry, didn't mean to rile you up.
well everybody has been spending money and doing research to find the right wheels and that's as close as you're gonna get unless you want to spend big money. And I'm sick of hearing people complain about them sticking out.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
They look great, but I wonder how is the clearance of the tire from the inside part of the fender? If 295/65 R15 fit ... that would be excelent !

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well everybody has been spending money and doing research to find the right wheels and that's as close as you're gonna get unless you want to spend big money. And I'm sick of hearing people complain about them sticking out.

you're absolutey 100% right, i should have kept my opinion to myself. sorry again..

fwiw, i do like the wheels. also, there's been a guy hanging around goes by top gun....he's working on a caliper relocation kit that will allow any 15" wheel to work. he's already got the backs done, i think he's working on the front, in the event anyone want to wait for another option.

didn't mean to bust your cajones, or anyone else's

here's a link:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13710

Last edited:

TC05GT

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

usafimj, no idea on improvements. I sold my 89 coupe (ran 9.40's) last fall and bought this sucker 2 months ago. We finally got an end to the Canadian winter so the modding begins. They are definitely lighter than the stock 17" Bullitts and I have a bunch of bolt-ons going on before it hits the track. Realsitically my goals are mid 12's N/A then the nitrous will go on shooting for something in the 11's. Hopefully it'll run hard, I'll work with what it's got otherwise.

Chad, I thought the green and the rims went together nicely myself. Everyone that's seen the car with them on says they liek them better than the stock wheels...and I can't really disagree with them, I'm very pleased with the look.

MexGT, I'm sure with a wider rim with more offset the 295 65 15 would fit in there. There is tons of room and plenty of wheel opening but with that much tire on a narrow 8" rim, it'd rub for sure. I had the 295 65 15 on my old 89 coupe last year, it's a huge tire when put on a 10" rim. I've even toyed with the idea of having these rims stretched out to 10", that'd bring the tire more under the car and could probably tuck that bigger radial.
239602.jpg

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those wheels look good man. I am having a hard time deciding which style I like better. Now that I see the Summits on a car they have gained quite a bit of favor with me. Just wish a couple more people would offer up some track results of the 8" wheel so I could finally get on board and quit looking for a cheap 10" wheel that doesn't require hacking up your calipers.

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
Hawgman, I know these cars weigh more but we've all seen fox body cars run 8 inch wheels with a 275/60/15 drag radial for years now. They don't seem to have a problem at the track. As a matter of fact, these new ones hook better at the track.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back