MyColor - Ambient Lighting in an 05 ?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am working on trying to get Ambient Lighting in my 05 from the MyColor Gauge Cluster.

I was able to Identify the LED's on the cluster, there are 6 sets of 2 sets each (Red, Blue, Green LEDs)

MyColor-2.jpg

I tapped into the cluster by soildering wires to jump points in the board.

Wires-Connect.jpg

The issue I am having and maybe someone can help inthe design of a circuit that will drive additional RGB LEDs from the existing output.

MyColor-New.jpg

I was able to drive a single RGB LED of the cluster but one group of RGB LEDs Dim down a little. this is the problem, that why I will need an external Driver to drive RGB LEDs in the Door, wheel, AC and Radio LEDs)

here is a video showing the Cluster driving a single RGB LED external from the cluster
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/2k05gt/Writeup/?action=view&current=Mycolor-1.mp4

Last edited:

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know DIY can be fun (and occasionally cheaper)...but why not just buy the kit from Ford?

RH

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
i always thought that would be cool in my 05, but its a different console too, that has the light hardware in it. i put blue led strips in my footwells and tied them into the dome circuit, and blue leds in the map lights, but your way into this project. that kit posted was for the 08-09 cars but doesnt say if it includes the new console with that switch? or why not the 05-07?

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
i always thought that would be cool in my 05, but its a different console too, that has the light hardware in it. i put blue led strips in my footwells and tied them into the dome circuit, and blue leds in the map lights, but your way into this project. that kit posted was for the 08-09 cars but doesnt say if it includes the new console with that switch? or why not the 05-07?

Nope. Looked into it when I had my V6. It didn't have a whole new console or anything, they basically gave you a little LED and told you to drill a hole in the cupholder area IIRC. And the footwell lights are just LED strips. You could get the same ones online for probably $30 each online.

That being said, I've installed LED lights in the footwells of many cars and have the ambient lighting in my GT and I love it. It's a nice touch.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back