Won't start and anti-theft light flashing

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I suggested return to stock as that eliminates or confirms the tune being the issue.

Jcode68

How I Roll
Reaction score
Thought I would post an update for anyone else who experiences a similar problem. I replaced the BAMA 93 Race tune with another BAMA tune that I ran without issue for ~9 years, 89 octane performance tune. I also flushed and replaced coolant. Drove the car yesterday maybe 25 miles, sunny 70 degree day. Ran great, parked the car and shut it off and I could see right away the anit-theft light flashing on the dash, so I knew what I was in for. Yup, car would not start, same crap different day. Cooled down about 90 minutes later and started up and ran fine. So today I ordered a re-manufactured unit with keys from https://www.protechautosystems.com . I spoke with the owner (I think) and discussed repair versus replace option and since they are unable to test for the same type of hear cycles experienced by the car, I decided to order a refurbished unit with keys. I will need to get the keys cut to match, but this was the easiest route for me. Should have it within a week and will see what I get. They provide a 1 year warranty and will take return back if doesn't fix the problem, less $100 for the keys, less 30% restocking fee. So not great, but at least it is something. I compared a lot of other companies and some had lifetime warranty, but the reviews and BBB reports were not good at all. ProTech seems to have their act together, 4.6 review rating on Google and 89% 5 star on TrustPilot. I will report back once I have replaced and tested and hopefully have a happy ending to this story.

Jcode68

How I Roll
Reaction score
Thought I would post an update since replacing my ECU and bring this thread to an end point - problem is FIXED! Pretty simple process to remove and replace the ECU - just a couple of bolts and 3 connectors. I ordered a new set of key blanks with the ECU and had them cut at a local locksmith. There is a simple process to associate these keys with the ignition and ECU in the car which worked without issue. I drove the car ~25 miles with the factory tune and without surprise, got a lean condition code since I am running an aftermarket CAI. So I loaded the BAMA 89 octane tune and have driven the car another ~50 miles on two different occasions and the problem seems to be resolved.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back