N/A power

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
I am debating whether or not to go FI on my 2009 Bullitt again or build a nice N/A motor.

What is a realistic number out of a built/stroker long block, whp?

Whose should I go with?

Also. what would be a good ballpark number on selling my long block, it has 2,000 miles on it.

I want to buy a motor ready to drop in, with a substantial N/A power increase.

I just want to stay away from all the plumbing and aftermarket bullshit that goes with FI. I have had my share I think. I am a road racer, not a drag racer. I am looking for strength and reliability.

Ahh fuck it, I'll probably just get a TT kit from SD...:helpme:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moved to chit chat...

This has been discussed many times over... you really have to figure out what you want to do with this car. Drag/ strip just a cruiser? Road racing? Budget? etc etc

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How big of a stroker are you willing to go? You want to be able to run pump gas of course... Many of us can make 8 differn't Na combo's and keep listing them all day long and keep making dream builds on these forums. Tackling the actual build and dropping the hay for a stout Na build is usually where the dreaming stops lol

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh fuck it, I'll probably just get a TT kit from SD...:helpme:

Won't get an argument from me about that. :beer:

Realistic numbers depend greatly on the sum of the parts. As young Matt stated, you need to set a basic dollar amount on your build and work from there. Then, add 25% to that amount because it always goes over what you budgeted. :roflmao:

N/A builds can go from a mild 350 rwhp up to a thumpin', snarling, 400-420 rwhp animal that you have to live with. For N/A setups you really can't beat the added power and breathing ability of a big bore setup. Whether it has a stock stroke or a 3.75" stroker added to it, the big bore will allow a serious set of heads/cams to make power.

Or...I'll be happy to sell you a set of twins. :evil:

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
Well, a 302 would be nice. Any recommendations on what company to deal with? I would like a complete set up, ready to drop in. What would my stock long block be worth, ball park?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Modular Performance, Fox Lake, MV Performance, Sutton HP, JDM Engineering, BBR, ShadowLands Racing (yeah...I had to do that).

Your longblock, depending on mileage, would come in anywhere from $2000-$3000 depending on the market.

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
It has a little less than 2k on it. I would like about 350-375 whp. Ballpark me on a number to get me there.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Really all depends on how you want to build it. There are plenty of great engine builders out there.

Obviously I'm partial to us.

But there are other great ones as well, like SD stated above...

We offer a 302 Stroker long block, which would include out Stage 3 cnc ported race heads and Stage 2 billet camshafts.

We've personally made 406 rwhp on a stock short block using our heads and cams on a very aggressive tune.

Now with the stroker and some added compression, it's very possible to make 430+ rwhp.

Give me a shout and we can go over some options.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Really all depends on how you want to build it. There are plenty of great engine builders out there.

Obviously I'm partial to us.

But there are other great ones as well, like SD stated above...

We offer a 302 Stroker long block, which would include out Stage 3 cnc ported race heads and Stage 2 billet camshafts.

We've personally made 406 rwhp on a stock short block using our heads and cams on a very aggressive tune.

Now with the stroker and some added compression, it's very possible to make 430+ rwhp.

Give me a shout and we can go over some options.
what, if any, kind of driveablity do you see with that stroker and 430 at the tire?

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
what, if any, kind of driveablity do you see with that stroker and 430 at the tire?

Drivability won't be that of stock, however, it also won't be bad. It'll drive like a car with some decent modifications done to it. The cam setup is large, so you'll have that to learn in stop and go... But everything else should honestly be fine.

You can still get away with a nice smooth clutch system too... such as an Exedy Mach 500.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
BBR N/A 302 Stroker Long Block
* 3V Flattop Forged Pistons
* Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
* Forged 4340 H-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP 2000 Rods
* Clevite Perfect Circle Rings
* Clevite 77 Main P-Bearings
* Clevite 77 Rod P-Bearings
* Fully Machined and Inspected Factory Block
* Balanced
* Blueprinted
* Assembled to exacting tolerances and Inspected
Compression Ratio: 10.74:1
* BBR Stage 3 cnc Ported 3V Heads
* Manley High Performance Valves
* Manley Valve Spring new seals
* OEM stock valves retainers & locks
* BBR Billet Stage 2 camshafts
* BBR Billet VCT Lockouts
* ARP Head Studs
* Felpro Head Gaskets
* FULLY ASSEMBLED just bolt on accessories.

$8800

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Realistic numbers depend greatly on the sum of the parts. As young Matt stated, you need to set a basic dollar amount on your build and work from there. Then, add 25% to that amount because it always goes over what you budgeted. :roflmao:

you went easy there lol

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not just the actual raw hp of these Na builds... you have to have it geared proper, rotating mass has to be at a minimum, less weight on a na car the better (Im bia's but it's true) just making 400hp isn't enough anymore.. you have to come correct with the whole package :p

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
to be honest, while it IS cool to beat someone down and be able to pop your hood and have them see.....nothing is awesome, i just dont see the $ spent on these cars NA as a worthy investment. you spend just as much, if not more than you would for a good blower to make less power and sacrifice driveability while youre at it.

dont get me wrong, if one is willing to make the sacrifice by all means go for it...but from a monetary and daily driver stand point id put an s-trim on my car, keep my stock driveabilty and see a nice safe 400+ at the tire.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
to be honest, while it IS cool to beat someone down and be able to pop your hood and have them see.....nothing is awesome, i just dont see the $ spent on these cars NA as a worthy investment. you spend just as much, if not more than you would for a good blower to make less power and sacrifice driveability while youre at it.

dont get me wrong, if one is willing to make the sacrifice by all means go for it...but from a monetary and daily driver stand point id put an s-trim on my car, keep my stock driveabilty and see a nice safe 400+ at the tire.

You are 100% right. Slap a blower on and make 400+ easy and safe. You can still drive it on a regular hassle free :beerchug2:

Like ive said time and time again... us Na guys are a glutten for punishment with small results after each mod and even smaller results with each 1320 pass. For me it's worth it :beerdrink: I love popping my hood and the other guy says "what the fuck!? you have fuck all here" xD

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
You are 100% right. Slap a blower on and make 400+ easy and safe. You can still drive it on a regular hassle free :beerchug2:

Like ive said time and time again... us Na guys are a glutten for punishment with small results after each mod and even smaller results with each 1320 pass. For me it's worth it :beerdrink: I love popping my hood and the other guy says "what the fuck!? you have fuck all here" xD
hell yeah. Thats why i think this new 5.0 is gonna be the shiznit for you "gluttens".....its not gonna take much to make those things NASTY.

RSKtakR

Reaction score

LMFAO i learned that while i was in Vancouver.. and look where your from! i say it here and people are like wtf? lol

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love popping my hood and the other guy says "what the fuck!? you have fuck all here" xD

That I will miss the most...

I used to keep a NOS 'energy' drink in my trunk, just for the set up....

Someone would push or say I HAVE to be hiding something,,, so, ' you are right, I have NOS in my trunk, wanna see? ' Pop the trunk and wola... some are NOT amused... I was every damn time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back