Name Change - Mustang Mach E

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless something changes. Smaller engines are the future for the USA driving public. And they want power. To have small engines AND power, you are looking at power adders.

Look at the progression of engines from the 1920s to today. The Model T had 177 cubic inches. Engines continually grew until peak in the late '60s/early '70s to deliver more for our ever growing power hunger. In the mid '70s...oil embargo. Engine sizes and performance cratered. It was the mid/late '80's before performance started to return. It returned in smaller engine sizes that provide power equal to or greater than many "big" engines from the '60s-'70s. Since then power keeps going up along with efficiency, while engine size keeps going down. This trend is not likely to change much. But physics will dictate the bottom of the line for a given power.

Personally I think (over the next 15-20 years) we will see engines end up in the 2-3L range with turbos delivering 250-450 hp. There will special outliers. Electrics will solve their issues and they will become the common norm. It's where things appear to be headed. It could change, but I don't think it will.

Emissions and fuel efficiency demands are and will continue to drive this trend.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Unless something changes. Smaller engines are the future for the USA driving public. And they want power. To have small engines AND power, you are looking at power adders.

Look at the progression of engines from the 1920s to today. The Model T had 177 cubic inches. Engines continually grew until peak in the late '60s/early '70s to deliver more for our ever growing power hunger. In the mid '70s...oil embargo. Engine sizes and performance cratered. It was the mid/late '80's before performance started to return. It returned in smaller engine sizes that provide power equal to or greater than many "big" engines from the '60s-'70s. Since then power keeps going up along with efficiency, while engine size keeps going down. This trend is not likely to change much. But physics will dictate the bottom of the line for a given power.

Personally I think (over the next 15-20 years) we will see engines end up in the 2-3L range with turbos delivering 250-450 hp. There will special outliers. Electrics will solve their issues and they will become the common norm. It's where things appear to be headed. It could change, but I don't think it will.

Emissions and fuel efficiency demands are and will continue to drive this trend.

Awesome post. I agree, I give it 20 years where electric powered vehicles will out number combustion and the combustion will be smaller.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Really, as soon as battery capacity and/or recharge time gets solved, IC is effectively over. But, barring any surprise discoveries/breakthroughs, it's gonna be a bit longer.

My Dad once said any EV takeover won't happen in his lifetime and he's probably right. But I don't think I can say the same. I think I might see the day EV becomes the majority. My kids definitely will see it.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here in BC, gasoline will not be sold after 2035.
I find that tough to believe. What are we going to do when we get a huge snowstorm and power gets knocked out everywhere? How far is that electric powered snowplow going to be able to push on a single charge? How will people get deployed to fix damage to the electrical grid?

There are a lot of 10+ year old vehicles on the road here so that would essentially mean that gasoline vehicles would have to stop being sold within the next 5 years in order to not alienate over half of the population. I'm sure those of us in the interior would do whatever we can to join Alberta and cut off the lower mainland and government island-pardon me, Vancouver Island.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Here in BC, gasoline will not be sold after 2035.

So poor people are screwed. My buddy, partially disabled, only makes 18 grand a year.
He gets his cars from his church, usually close to 15 years old (many times from some
one who has passed away). I fix them for him for free when they need it. 15 years from now,
he might get a car made this year, and it won't be an electric.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they passed a law, it will be found to be untenable as the date approaches and the law will be repealed or changed. Gasoline is way too entrenched to be legislated out of use in that short a time. 50 years might be too short a time to push it out of use completely.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Some irony...

...a Tesla service vehicle (fully branded, official) pulled into the parking area at my office on Thursday. Presumably to connect with a customer, there are a few Tesla owners there.

The service vehicle was a gasoline powered Ford Transit.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I find that tough to believe. What are we going to do when we get a huge snowstorm and power gets knocked out everywhere? How far is that electric powered snowplow going to be able to push on a single charge? How will people get deployed to fix damage to the electrical grid?

There are a lot of 10+ year old vehicles on the road here so that would essentially mean that gasoline vehicles would have to stop being sold within the next 5 years in order to not alienate over half of the population. I'm sure those of us in the interior would do whatever we can to join Alberta and cut off the lower mainland and government island-pardon me, Vancouver Island.

Agreed. It's the sheer lunacy of the NDP / Green party eco fantasy. Per my Eng buddies at BC hydro, the grid is maxed out on Vancouver island. To go 100% electric vehicles + homes, and no more natural gas... will require 4 x more site C sized hydro electric dams + 2 x nukes.

Sask cancelled their 'net metering program' 3 months ago. Several US states are also cancelling their version of 'net metering'. Bye-bye solar + wind power for home owners.

GriffX

Reaction score
I'm not very optimistic. I think from 2025 you will not get a gasoline powerd small car anymore. If you can't afford it, you have to take the bus, because driving our cars will be very expensive due to new tax inventions. And in addition, batteries will not last much longer than 10-12 years (as VW is saying), so poor people are screwed in many ways.
And, usage of a battery car will not be cheap. The last taxi Tesla in Berlin is going out of service because one kWh for cars is now 39ct €

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back